All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: December 8th, 2016, 10:18 pm 
Count

It has been long understood that all our modern languages derive from three languages; Ancient Human Speech, Ancient Dwarvish, and Ancient Elvish. It is thought that any language older than those three would be nigh impossible to discover, due to the likely lack of source material. I too thought that, until I made a remarkable discovery. A recent earthquake in Rock Ridge County unveiled a cave system, and so I decided to explore it excited for the geological discoveries to be found. It was to my extreme surprise that I found something much, much more than a bunch of old rocks.

Linguistics has been a love in my life for as long as I can remember, that is no secret. It was then to my delight that I stumbled across tablets with an unknown script carved into them. My original thoughts was that it was some unknown dialect of ancient elvish, a cultural variation in writing. Looking at references of all known elvish scripts however I deduced that this was far from the case. It seems that I have discovered an entirely new language unrelated to any discovered ones within the world.

The most remarkable thing to me is the age of the tablets. Based on erosion of the characters, and the geological makeup of the cave, I have come to the conclusion that these tablets predate even the Cycle of the Moon. My most conservative estimates place them at around 2,500 to 3,000 years old, a truly remarkable age for any language. The script itself is oddly circular in nature, seemingly impossible for any primitive tools dating to this era. Thus it is unknown how the letters were written.

Examinations of the tablets show several repeating characters which have now been mapped by myself. It is my full intentions to map out this language as much as possible and try and translate it. I am currently requesting access to ancient texts dating from the Cycle of the Moon in order to find any mentions of the people who left behind these tablets. It should be noted that there are several recurring depictions of squid-like animals. It is unsure whether the society that left behind these tablets worshipped squids as their gods, or worshipped gods with squid-like properties. Either way, it has been decided that they were shamanistic in religion. Based on the time frame and lack of any permanent structural ruins, other than these tablets (though it should be stated that further discoveries are a possibility under the correct circumstances) it is safe to say that they were a very rudimentary society, most likely similar to early human hunter-gatherer societies.

Though it is decidedly difficult to easily mark down the characters in the dim torch light, basic sketches can be found below. I still cannot grasp the circular script, it is seemingly impossible for the tools at the time to be so precise so surely they must have some other way of inscribing the letters onto the stone tablets.

Note: The three characters in red appear very frequently, so it is likely that they are forms of punctuation.

Because of the nature of the discovery, initial findings will be slow. I hope however that I will make swift progress with enough study of the ancient archives. This to me is by far one of the most exciting finds of my lifetime, and the implications of a culture unconnected to the elves, dwarves, and the humans are phenomenal.

Master of Trade in the Katoraktonion Sea.

Last edited by Raymond on December 8th, 2016, 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: December 8th, 2016, 10:48 pm 
Duke

A fascinating find. Perhaps more relics from this ancient culture will arise, giving us new insights into our history.

PostPosted: December 8th, 2016, 11:01 pm 

This is an incredible find. I look forward to more information coming to light. Please send copies of everything you come across to the Acholm Monastery!

PostPosted: December 8th, 2016, 11:50 pm 
King

The Imperial Archeologists have come up with similar findings in the past, but they are fragmentary, and havent had much time put into their translations. We should pool our resources and uncover these secrets!

PostPosted: December 14th, 2016, 8:45 pm 
Count

After spending some time reading ancient tomes written millennia ago I believe I may have found reference to what the people who left behind these tablets. It is near impossible to say exactly what the texts refer to, and of course the translations will be inaccurate in some places, but should these be even semi-accurate it still provides a leap of the identity of the people who carved these markings. I have taken the liberty of copying over the specific text, originally written in Ancient Elvish and translated through several different languages:

The people to the north, though mysterious in nature, seemingly do not appear to be war-like despite what their appearances suggest. They have often approached our exploration parties seeking not fights nor information, but instead trade. Though these scale-people speak an unknown language, we have sent people to live within their communities to better understand them and their ways and to begin to translate their languages to improve the knowledge of the Kingdom as a whole.

This text has been dated to before the Ibarahian Empire due to language differences and also the lack of mention towards the empire, instead being kingdom. This could be a translation error however. Additionally, it is unsure as to what "scale-people" means, though I believe it could refer to rudimentary, early scale armour. Further discoveries are expected to be made, with the alphabet of the language being of highest priority.

Master of Trade in the Katoraktonion Sea.

PostPosted: December 14th, 2016, 8:51 pm 
Duke

Fascinating. I look forward to hearing more regarding this discovery

- Recipient of the Pyrencian Good Effort Award
- 2016 Winner of the 'Medal of S'alright'
- Stronger than an ant
- The Tallest