All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: A Morning Arrival
PostPosted: January 26th, 2017, 1:47 am 
Duke

Yellow morning sunlight poked between the trees and rooftops of Acholm. The smell of salt clung to the docks as a sailor disembarked down a wobbling plank. He turned up the dock and meandered his way around other sailors, captains, and dockworkers to enter the shade of the city proper. Despite the darkness and crowds, he finally found himself outside the heavy and scuffed doors of the Cock and Seamen. When a couple of men staggered together out of the pub, he took the opportunity to slip in before the doors shut again.

He looked around the dim, hazy room before his eyes caught a flash of blue against the brown and grey -- a woven scarf draped over the shoulders of an Östron man leaning into a corner, his eyes looking down at the pint in his hands. The sailor bought himself a beer, taking his time, then ambled over to the Östron.

"I'm sure I know you, sir," he said to the Östron.

"I once climbed a tall tree," the Östron replied.

"Did you see all of Östlaed from it?"

"I saw the whole world."

The sailor nodded and smiled a little then leaned his back against the wall.

"How's the beer?"

"A little flat."

The sailor lifted the mug to his lips and let his eyes pass over the tavern. He didn't see anything unusual, but he decided to be cautious anyway.

"I'm sure it will taste fine. Know any dirty jokes?"

"Yes. I came up with this one in Acholm," said the Östron. He brought his mouth to the sailor's ear and whispered, "The Ealdorman sent some of the Halig Freccan to Wiccaweald. When they came back, their numbers were few. The roads are blocked that way."

At this the sailor let out a well practiced chuckle and said, "When did you come up with that?"

"A couple months ago."

"Do you know any others?"

"Yes. This one was told to me by a servant of the lord," he said, then whispered,"The Ealdorman travelled to Wiccaweald himself with some troops. He burned the shrines and killed the thane."

This earned a hearty laugh from the sailor, who said,"That's a good one"

"I heard it two weeks ago."

Two days, then. The sailor stuck his hand in his pocket and placed the pouch of gold coins and the slip of paper he pulled out into the Östron's hand, saying "Here. In exchange for the entertainment, let me pay for your drink."

"Many thanks."

The sailor walked out, leaving his undrunk beer at an empty table. He turned south towards the market, visited some of the stalls, and left for the docks again. The captain of his ship talked intensely with a merchant while barrels and crates were unloaded by his crew. As the sailor walked up, the captain waved away the merchant and beckoned the sailor over.

"Everything fine?" the captain asked.

"As far as you're concerned, yes," the sailor walked up the plank and the captain followed him. The sailor turned around, "I've already purchased supplies for the return journey. We'll leave with the next tide."

"Why the hurry? I haven't sold all my goods yet."

"Sell what you can, you'll be compensated by the GRHH Co. for the rest."

Last edited by The Chairman on January 26th, 2017, 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: A Morning Arrival
PostPosted: January 26th, 2017, 1:52 am 

/lore off

I'm very interested to where this is going!