All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: January 9th, 2017, 5:49 pm 

Thanesmoot of 539

After the departure of many Thanes during the Thanesmoot of 534, and their return for the Thanesmoot of 535, each subsequent Thanesmoot has gone well. The only items of intrigue seem to have been the return of Östron forces from the Pyrencian Civil War during the Thanesmoot of 536, and a discussion about the claims of the G.R.H.H. during the Thanesmoot of 537.

The Thanesmoot of 539 brought drama back to the Östur.

This time it was Gröteorl Cerdic Accynnafon with a proposal:

“Long has our realm been known by a name that comes from the Ernun accent of Östron. While many Östrons hail from that region of the Mercurian Empire, most of us do not. Very few Östrons from Ernun ever came to Östlaed, with the exception of my mother’s kin, House Folcwine, who settled in Beorcfeld Farthing. Many of us don’t even call it Östlaed in our day to day speach - even me, who grew up as a son of the Ealdorman! It is my thought that we call our realm by the name that Östrons who have lived here for many generations call it: Östlond.”

The Ealdorman rose up at this time, and hobbled from his throne. “I have long expected this. You know, Östlaed was for a long time the name your grandfather had for the potential Östron realm as well. Those of us that did not live in these hallowed woods never considered just how different the dialects were! I do think…”

The Ealdorman was cut off by Gröteorl Mark II “ This is outrageous. Östlaed is the holy name of this realm! This realm was founded by the Order, and the Order WILL not support such a change!”

“SILENCE!” yelled the Ealdorman. “I am the Master of the Order, not you. Oh dear son, how the fundamentalists have polluted you and the Order. The only reason the Order rules as it does is because I let it happen, as a way to unite our people under one banner.”

Cerdic whispered to the Thanes around him “You see, this is what we have to look forward to. A madman in charge of the realm.”

Mark II snapped back, barely overhearing the word madman “... and what, you’d have yourself rule the realm and it would be just a happy place, FULL OF ELVES, nothing but drunkards trying to pollute their minds with allegiance to what, fucking pumpkins and mooshrooms? You disgust me.”

The Ealdorman butt in, saying “SILENCE, BOTH OF YOU! This is unacceptable! You two would divide this realm into two the moment I am gone. This can not pass. I order both of you to sit down, be quiet, and listen. “ So they did. There was much tension in the room. There was no merry drinking in the hall, no chewing of smoked pork, and no smoke from pipeweed. Everyone listened to the Ealdorman.

“I do think this is something to be discussed. WIth the ramifications of this change, I would have each Thane conduct their own moots in their villages to discuss the local name for the realm. We can give this process a whole year, so we shall discuss it again at the Thanesmoot of 541.”

The Ealdorman knew better. He knew that however minor this was, and how much ever support it would have from most villages, that the Order and the Thanes loyal to the Order would cause major strife over such a change. Worst of all, the Thane of Westmaed had seemed to throw in his lot with the Order. The other areas of Acholm Farthing - Grestanhlith, Lynfirth, Furenspring, and Carrwic do not follow the Order. The harm done from a split even in the capital would be immense.

As the Ealdorman coughed, he knew ill-fortune, both for himself, and the future of the realm were at hand.

PostPosted: January 9th, 2017, 6:10 pm 
Duke

It is most troubling to hear that there are divisions within Ostlaed. I hope that Ealdorman Mark Accynnafon can bring the differing factions to a peaceful middle ground

- Recipient of the Pyrencian Good Effort Award
- 2016 Winner of the 'Medal of S'alright'
- Stronger than an ant
- The Tallest

PostPosted: January 9th, 2017, 6:31 pm 
Duke

The continuing divisions within Östlaed are quite concerning. We hope the Ealdorman can keep the peace.

PostPosted: January 10th, 2017, 11:50 pm 
Count

Kalo squirmed in his seat. Being trained in the Imperial Isle, he had always been partial to the name Östlaed. The people of Gelderlond spoke otherwise. The Eorl already felt enough of a separation from his people, and he didn't want something as minor as a name tear his fragile farthing apart. Still, the local arms of the Order are sure to push this issue. While Kalo certainly has a religious upbringing, he has many qualities that the fundamentalists dislike: foreign born, tolerance of the looser varieties of worship, and independence from the clerics of the order. The are certain to try to replace the Eorl with someone more sympathetic to their cause.

For now, Kalo keeps his hold. It will take more than a name to overthrow this Eorl.

Student of the Gildscype Scytera (Archers' Guild)