All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: September 24th, 2016, 5:01 am 

Ealdorman Accynnafon sat in his great hall, waiting for a visitor. Today was a special day; it was his second oldest son’s 18th birthday. Despite already receiving into his vassalage the Östron Farthing of Gourdham, it was his right to receive the leadership of more land. The Ealdorman had to consider the achievements of Eorl Ceridc after the Battle of Saeppedun. The young Knight had repelled further bandit incursions into the Saeppebeorg Farthing, even after it was annexed officially by the realm two years prior. He had also established infrastructure projects to connect the southern Östron tribes in this area to the realm. He deserved to be the Great Eorl of both Gourdham and Saeppebeorg; did he deserve even more? Certainly he does. However, he would be given these lands at the risk of angering his eldest, and his heir, Mark Feldred.

“Welcome son, we have much to discuss” said the Ealdorman as Eorl Cerdic walked through the front doors of the great hall in Acholm, “How was your trip?” Cerdic replied saying “It was fine, I always do enjoy the faster longship journeys over those boring, perfectly safe and slow trips on a carrack.” “Oh I agree. Here, sit, have some ale. This is some special stuff brewed last March just for fall, you know it well” said the Ealdormann, handing him a large clay vessel full of the delicious ale. “Oh yes, it is almost time for the harvest festival. The harvest has begun in Gourdham. A few ships came with me carrying the first of the gourds of the fall to Acholm.”

Cerdic continued, saying “I’m sure you have heard by now, but we recently pushed back some hostile Östron tribes to the coast of the Entsee, and executed their traitorous leader. The Thanes in the Entweald seem unable to accept all the terms of the treaty they signed.” “Fortunately, my plan for your adulthood ascension gifts will enable you to deal with this in a better manner,” Cerdic expected this, and smiled as the Ealdorman continued, “I am giving into your lands the Farthings of Saeppebeorg, the Scitteeige, and the Entweald.” He now essentially was in charge of almost half of Östlaed. Certainly the more rustic half - huge mountains in most of it, very wild forest, and degenerate raiders on isolated islands. “Well “exhaled Cerdic “ This is quite the challenge, and quite the reward. I will rise to the challenge. Let us drink.”

They drank much fall ale, late into the night. Mark Feldred joined them later, where the Ealdorman announced to both of them that Mark Feldred would also take on Wiccaweald Farthing into this possession. The Ealdorman did this to ease the potential tension between the two.

He was still concerned. He knew that Mark resented Cerdic’s rise within the realm. He knew that someday Mark would inherit the entire realm - would he keep Cerdic in this position? Also on his mind was a spy’s report that the Master of the Acholm monastery was in league with the fundamentalist creeper sect out of the southeast. Had Mark fallen under this fundamentalism as well? The Ealdorman wanted to trust Mark, and he seemed quite capable as a ruler. He had done much to help evolve Acholmshire into a true metropolitan center for the realm. His outreach to tribes around the Östsee had brought thousands of Östrons to Acholm. Acholm’s religious importance to Creeperism also meant that many fundamentalists were present and had begun spreading their message.

A balance must be kept to preserve the realm.