All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: September 12th, 2016, 10:25 am 

The Battle of Saeppedun and the Nobles of the Realm

“Do you see them, there, on top of that ridge?”

“Yes, I see them. There are at least… seventeen of them from what I count.” Cerdic squinted in the dark, and indeed there were seventeen.

“It must be only a scouting party.” whispered Aefelged, Thane of Gourdham.

“A scouting party from where?” asked Cerdic; this was his first military assignment in an official capacity. He was not aware of everything going on in the realm of Östlaed despite his previous knack for dropping eaves during Thanesmoots. Indeed the events that led up to this scouting party of bandits arriving south of Gourdham in the Saeppedun (Spruce Mountains) occurred while he was enduring training. Saeppedun is home to several Östron tribes not yet annexed by Östllaed, and as such bandits have been making regular incursions into the area. However, they had not yet come to close to the official border.

“Bandits,” spake Aefelged “They must be making their way up the coast from the GRHH. You know how sheepish the administration is in the GRHH - sometimes these bandit groups slip past their defenses.”

“Yes, I figured that much. Where do they live when they aren’t raiding?” questioned Cerdic with a tone of annoyance.

“Ah, yes, well they appear to live in the islands on the southern reaches of the Imperial Sea. No one knows for sure; there are thousands, tens of thousands of islands. They’re quite a mix of different ethnic groups as well.” explained Aefelged.

“I see. I imagine their main group is still on the coast; this isn’t this far in land.” guessed Cerdic, and most wisely as it turned out.

The contingent from the Gourdburg headed down a ravine towards the coast. They sent a quick messenger back to town in hopes of acquiring info from merchants who may have docked recently. Indeed, they confirmed seeing at least a dozen longboats ashore to the south near the edge of the mountains and a swamp. It was past midnight when the messenger returned.

Aefelged was visibly shaken, “That is at least 600 or more bandits. We must muster all of our forces at once, and send messengers to Saeppedun. We shall meet in the valley west of there.”

The forces arrived at Saeppedun after 2 days of riding through rough alpine terrain. The forces from Gourdham, numbering 25 knights and 400 soldiers joined with the forces of Saeppedun that numbered 170 men of the Thane’s militia. A few other villages joined, as well as archers from Wiccaweald that were in the south chasing migrating mooshrooms. The Östron forces thus numbered a total of 35 knights, 423 soldiers, and 227 militia.

Messengers delivered news that the bandits had headed to the southern reaches of the Spruce Mountains. The host changed course crossing multiple mountain ranges, slowing their progress considerably. On the 3rd night of traveling from Saeppedun, Cerdic’s scouting party spotted the bandit army:

“This is troubling” Cerdic said, “That is far more than 600. That’s at least a thousand more”

“Agreed” spoke another scout, “We must returned at once and hope it is not too late. They are closer to the town than we had hoped.”

Cerdic and his fellow scouts started their quick journey back to the main host. Unfortunately, they were not alone. A bandit scouting party appeared above them up the slope, raining flaming arrows onto their position. They retreated, hiding behind some large boulders and other debris from a rock fall.

“Well this has turned into a fine party” said Cerdic in a most serious tone. Arrows bounced off the rocks in front of them, however the arrows occasionally landed behind them becoming lodged in the trees growing along the cliff. “We’re proper fucked” said another scout.

“Thankfully we have bows and arrows as well. How about we show them what a powerful Östron iron tipped bolt can do? “ boasted the scouting party leader. As the bandits continued to shower them with arrows, along with the occasional rock that bounced off the boulders, they positioned themselves to return the gift.

“On three, we will loosen our arrows on those tall bastards by that large log. One… two… three! Loose!!!” Their arrows and bolts hit their mark, killing several bandits. The bandits pulled back, with only the occasional rock thrown.

“Let’s try to advance” whispered their leader. They moved into a higher position. A rain of arrows fell on them as they lost cover. “Return your arrows!” Another volley. Unfortunately, another group of bandits with very large clubs and maces flanked them from behind. Hand to hand combat broke out. The combination of melee combat and arrows hitting their position resulted in a slaughter. Cerdic and some other scouts managed to eliminate the last few bandits that flanked them. They were forced to flee south, away from the bandit scouts, the bandit army, and unfortunately their own army. Their leader escaped with terrible wounds which proved to be fatal. Cerdic took charge, leading the last few scouts up another mountain river stream. From a high ridge, they could see the bandit forces advancing towards an Östron village. They could also see the Östron forces too far away to save the town.

Cerdic knew that the hamlet was doomed if the Östron host was late, and it appeared that there was nothing that could stop that. They weren’t even aware that the bandit army was this close. However, what if the bandits were late?
A plan, yes, a plan was formulated. Some native scouts had survived, and they knew that there were some local trees with a sticky sap that would keep a flame. Luckily, they were at the right tree line for this particular tree. Quickly they gathered sap and covered their arrows in this thick material. While collecting sap, they had moved along the high ridge with large weathered granite columns. This area overlooked the path the bandits were taking.

As the bandits walked below, without a scouting party to check every ridge, they walked within perfect range of the Östron archers . Cerdic’s scant scouting force launched a volley of flaming arrows directly into some dry trees and the bandit army. It caused an enormous raucous. Trees were burning, raiders were burning. Groups of bandits began to fight, accusing eachother of treason. The Östron archers continued to shower flaming arrows onto the raider’s heads for several hours, being careful to change positions on the several mile long ridge. Finally, some bandits noticed where these arrows were coming from. A large group, perhaps 150 bandits began to rush up the ridge. Cerdic ordered a retreat down the other side of the high ridge. Luckily this also meant that they could bypass the bandits and rush towards town.

Or so they thought. An arrow flew right by Cerdic’s head, and found its mark in the shoulder of a fellow scout. They took cover and noticed that bandits occupied a bridge on the road to town. “This is it, surely” thought Cerdic to himself, “I will die here.” Behind them arrived another group of bandits - they were now pinned at this bridge. Thinking that at least they stalled them for a bit. They hid behind some large trees. A few bandits broke away from the group at the bridge, rushing them. The Östron scouts stood their ground, however, with less than a dozen men left, they were doomed.

More and more bandits rushed their position. Some bandits formed a shield wall around the Östrons, with long pole weapons forcing them to cluster together.

This was the end…

If not for the sound of over 500 Östrons pouring over every side of the ravine. Arrows, spears, pikes, swords and even shields were used as weapons. Cerdic’s diversion had slowed the bandits just enough to allow the Östrons to advanced towards the bandits. Cerdic’s diversion led to the death of several dozen bandits, giving the trained Östron soldiers the upper hand as they pulverized the enemy. The battle was a short one, with most bandits fleeing to the west, back to their boats. Unfortunately for the bandits that made it to the coast, their boats had long since been fired.

~oOo~

The host returned to the capital, Acholm. After one of the largest battles won by Östron soldiers, a celebration was certainly mandatory. Ealdorman Mark Accynnafon officiated a ceremony for the victors. Thane Aefelged of Gourdham told the story of Cerdic’s bravery and quick wit in the successful delay of the bandit army. After nearly half an hour of cheers, clapping, toasts, and other loud noise making, the crowd calmed enough for ealdorman Accynnafon to speak:

“This is truly a momentous day in the history of our realm. The heroics of our soldiers, the defeat of our enemy, and the protection of innocent Östron lives makes this truly a tale to be remembered. The villages of the Spruce Mountains, which I hope will someday join the realm, would not exist if not for the actions of the Östronweard over the past days. Without the actions of my son, Cerdic Beoden Accynnafon, the success on the battlefield may have still occurred. However, the tens of thousands of lives he saved might not have been. Due to his amazing, and even unforeseen by me at least, talent in the heat of battle… I am awarding Cerdic the position of Knight of the Östron realm. At this time, he is to take over the position as the head military position of the Gourdburg castle, with the intention for him to construct his own castle in the Spruce Mountains once those lands are annexed. In addition to being a Knight of the Realm, he shall receive the title of Eorl of Gourdham Farthing.”

As if the merrymaking had not previously exceeded a fever pitch, this sudden announcement certainly did so. The first Eorl under Ealdormann Mark Accynnafon? A knight? A truly momentous occasion. The celebrations lasted for over two weeks, leaving the entire realm nearly devoid of ale along with almost all of the smoked salt pork.

Thus, the young lord Cerdic Accynnafon became Eorl Cerdic Beoden Accynnafon, a Knight of the Östron realm of Östlaed. He promoted the members of that scouting party to the highest non-Knight positions, and left for the Gourdburg. In the following months, he would begin to make several trips to Saeppedun to discuss the terms of annexation.

~oOo~

“Curse this. This is ridiculous” shouted the older brother of Cerdic, Ealdorman Mark’s oldest son, Mark Feldred. Master Artair Berghand chortled, and responded thusly, “Did I not warn you that your father now favors the Thanes, and thus no longer cares for the Clerics of the faith?” Mark Feldred knew this. It was obvious. His father, though a devout man, never thought that the religion was the most important. He thought that the religious and the secular held similar places in society. Unlike his father, Mark Feldred had come to think that religion should be more important - “Yes you did, Master. He has abandoned the faith. He has such a distaste for the Order that even his own eldest son, who is entitled to the highest ranks of the realm and indeed the throne is now but a brother of the Order, without voting power, and without noble status beyond being his son” This is exactly what Master Artair wanted. “Why not” asked the Master, with an incredibly long pause, “ask him for your rightful title as Eorl of Acholm? As his heir, a brother of the Order, he should bestow that honor upon you. Also, you are now an adult. In our society, your father must bestow upon you a gift as you are now a man.” Mark smiled maliciously “Yes, you are correct. I shall demand an audience with him shortly. It is not fair, nor legal that I should not be made an Eorl, yet my younger brother is not only an Eorl but also own his own castle.”

A second fundamentalist member of the Order on the Thanesmoot? Also, a noble? This was working quite well, and Mark was still decades from the throne thought Master Artair.

~oOo~

“Who is it Isla?” shouted Ealdorman Mark from the Östur great hall.

“It’s Mark, he’s come to visit for supper!” Shouted the Lady of the realm back at him.

“Oh good! I had something to discuss with him anyways, I’m glad he is here.” Indeed, Ealdorman Mark had a different proposal in mind for the younger Mark’s incoming request.

“Father. I am here to formally request that I receive my adulthood titles, per the discussions we’ve had over the last few years.” Mark Feldred wasted no time.

The Ealdorman responded with kindness, taken aback at his son's’ tone: “Well Mark, I do apologize for not discussing this with you sooner. Sit for goodness’ sake, and drink some ale.” After a pint or three, the Ealdorman began again “ As my heir, and now as an adult heir, you are indeed entitled to a noble rank. I’m sure you are here to demand the title of Eorl of some Farthing. Well, as my heir, you deserve more than that. I’m making you a Grand Eorl of Acholm and Merscafen Farthings, and with such a title, you are entitled to build your own palace in either place.”

Mark Feldred couldn’t believe what he was hearing. Two Farthings? Including the capitol? This was incredible! “This is wonderful. This is beyond what I expected.”

“You’ve earned it. You’ve discovered so much about our people through your studies. You’ve done so much for bringing in various tribes speaking strange Östron dialects. Your knowledge has surpassed mine in religion, history, and our culture. The realm you will inherit will be incredibly large. You need the experience and power within the realm.”

“I am honored, father. I will always serve the realm and our faith with honor and strength” Mark’s thoughts were already running to dark places.

~oOo~

Excerpt from the legal archives in Acholm:

* Nobles of the realm can use a portion of their tax income to raise their own militia and armies.

* Nobles of the realm can use a portion of their tax income to construct fortifications and castles

* Nobles are entitled to confer the title of Knight to members of the Östronweard.

PostPosted: September 12th, 2016, 12:18 pm 
King

A great victory masterfully retold, I must confide that I do not like the direction young Mark seems to be taking with religious fervor wracking his mind, but I can only hope reason may turn him around and that the laws of the land are respected.

Blood of the Ancient Kingdom of Isilioth
Grandmaster of the Drachenfeuer Order.

PostPosted: September 12th, 2016, 2:24 pm 
King

No doubt this victory will resonate through the annals of histories for your people. What courage, quick mindedness, (and a sprinkling of luck) to save the town.