All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: June 19th, 2015, 12:32 pm 
King

I vote in favour of the plugin. These additional points by Aurennis I agree with however.

Aurennis wrote:
1. Using the plug-in to prevent passive mob spawns in crop fields.
I would be against this, seems trivial to use, general upkeep and maintenance of any farm/garden area is legit.

Aurennis wrote:
Stricter criteria is needed.
1. The aesthetic quality of the area is seriously (i.e. unworkably) impacted by torch spam, such as in snowy biomes.

2. There is no alternative method in vanilla Minecraft to preserve the aesthetic quality of the area.

Aurennis wrote:
I think that any creation of a mob-free area should be put up for a vote like any other bill

On the topic of Villagers. Go to the Larunda area, Ardmorae plateau, youll find our town there. I have created a cliff of at least 4 high
around the entire perimeter (No mobs could climb up from the plains). I have torched what I believe to be every possible area light level 7 or less into incandescent luminosity. Hordes of zombies still appeared. I had spent hours combing that hillside. Its ludicrious.
Also villagers being kept inside is kinda meh. They also dont know how to get inside and invariably let zombies in with them.

This is survival minecraft, vanilla. What we are doing is adding a mechanic to the game. Its what minecraft, or any decent game should have as part of it, this is a workaround. Without this theres no opportunities for artistic darkness, no dark alleyways, no darkness at night in settings where it would have a strong look.

The votes will let us decide though, im glad we can have discussions on the matters like good citizens of the Empire.

PostPosted: June 19th, 2015, 12:38 pm 
King

So far the votes are:
For: 1 King, 2 Dukes
Against: 3 Dukes

Let us continue the voting until it is decided.

PostPosted: June 19th, 2015, 6:46 pm 
King

I vote in favor of this plugin, and here is the logic behind my opinion:

While it appears that some have no issues with keeping villagers alive in their perspective towns, I have had difficulty in the past with this. I know others do as well. Atryl seemingly will never be able to have villagers in Fichina do to the fact that his big tree is a never-ending source of creeper, zombie, and skeleton spawning. This highlights one of the issues with the current spawning mechanics. If you build something that has a roof made of blocks (not slabs or stairs) mobs will inevitably be able to spawn there. Essentially anything built tall is going to have a problem with mob spawning. Along with this, in order to keep mobs somewhat contained this way, we need to torch buildings so much that they resemble candle sticks. Shader pictures are similar to what I imagine heaven looks like. Big glowy things everywhere. So, summarizing two perhaps poorly written points here, this plug in will both help preserve villager's lives (I would rather have a surviving population than be concerned about introducing an extremely minor plug in) as well as preserve aesthetics.

The above points don't even highlight the fact that snow biomes are unsightly. I know some don't find this a problem, but have any of you extensively built in a snow biome before? The only major cities that I am really aware of that are built in snow biomes are in Perth.

Finally, I know some are concerned that this plug-in will be just a "foot in the door" technique to introduce further changes, crafting minecraft to the way we wish it would be. I argue that this took place a long time ago. Cody started this server with 0 plug-ins whatsoever. Each plug-in that has been adapted has been extremely thouroughly vetted, as this one is being right now. They are not added willy-nilly, and believe me when I say that I am a staunch supporter of the vanilla experience. However, I believe that this will add to the lore aspect of our server far more than it detracts from the vanilla aspect. I for one am looking forward to the prospect of stumbling through a darkly lit ally looking for a place to grab a pint without having to be concerned about a creeper blasting the shit out of me.

Anyways, thanks for listening to me ramble. I'm far worse at conveying my opinions than Nick (seriously man, you should become a lawyer! :D) Here's to hoping we come to an agreement.

of River's End

PostPosted: June 19th, 2015, 7:01 pm 
Duke

This just makes sense to me. This doesn't take away from the game. If anything it adds to it. A well defensed city (watchtowers, walls, whatever) and monsters spawn inside the city? This will add a bit of realism and sense of security without wasting resources on safeguarding cities with possibly thousands of torches.

For these reasons, I vote yes.

That said, sure would hate to be that guy to collect AAAAAAAAAALL those torches, haha.

PostPosted: June 19th, 2015, 7:21 pm 
King

I vote in favour of this plugin too!

PostPosted: June 22nd, 2015, 6:54 pm 
King

Update:

For the strictly controlled use of the plugin: 3 Kings. 3 Dukes.
Against: 3 Dukes.

Last edited by Petra Ravnikaar on June 22nd, 2015, 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: June 22nd, 2015, 8:09 pm 
Duke

I'll vote yes if the stricter criteria that I mentioned are added to the bill. I think the looseness of the original wording is what is making people hesitant about approving the plug-in.

PostPosted: June 22nd, 2015, 8:34 pm 
King

Can you please provide the revisions or additions you would like to make?

PostPosted: June 22nd, 2015, 8:42 pm 
Duke

They were in my original post in this thread.

EDIT: to be more specific, my yes vote is conditional on the addition of the two stricter criteria and the alternate approval method from my original post.

PostPosted: June 24th, 2015, 1:45 am 
King

The vote has been passed. 3/5 Kings have voted on the subject, 60% to approve the STRICT use of this plugin, (50% required).

Thank you for your time and discussions gentlemen.