All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: April 1st, 2016, 2:39 pm 
Count

Minor suggestion, but perhaps the laws should just be called Legislation? Criminal code is a subset of laws, not all laws breaches are criminal. It just seems a bit of a strong terminology to me.

I really have to add my two cents to bloody everything don't I? >.>

Appointed Minister of Wysterian Architecture

PostPosted: April 1st, 2016, 2:41 pm 
King

I tend to agree.

PostPosted: April 1st, 2016, 2:44 pm 
Count

I choose to believe this refers to the first part <3

Appointed Minister of Wysterian Architecture

PostPosted: April 1st, 2016, 3:10 pm 
Duke

A change to forum rules it may be, but As the rules in question refer to the law making process by which our entire society stems from, I believe they absolutely should be codified in the constitution.

I also agree that anything law related which isn't directly codified in the constitution should be called legislation, perhaps defined as either Criminal and Civil. Should help categorise everything abit more easily

- Recipient of the Pyrencian Good Effort Award
- 2016 Winner of the 'Medal of S'alright'
- Stronger than an ant
- The Tallest

PostPosted: April 1st, 2016, 4:37 pm 
King

The forum rules - Dukes post in House of Dukes, Kings post in Council of the Crowned - are fundamental to our forums and, by extension, diplomacy - they are rules that govern who may speak where on what subject. As such, are we sure they don't belong in the Carta? I see your argument Regent - it's a valid one - but find myself unsure. We need to clarify what belongs in our constitution.

"Civil Law" - YES! It's been a while, but I know that at least some of teh old laws were referred to specifically as Imperial Civil Law, while only the ones that dealt with crimes or punishable offences - duping, stealing, being a dink, etc - were specifically the Criminal Code. Does this ring a bell to anyone else from that time? I'm thinking it would be a good renewed classification system, as multiple people are absolutely right that not all laws that govern daily life must be part of a criminal code.

The Parliament reorganization is definitely something that, in the past, would have been done unilaterally by Atryl or myself. You're right that the extensive communal outreach was probably enough for this type of simple bureaucratic change, but it got included in legislation because of the other forum rules being contemplated that would have want of a vote given they had stirred up a bit of controversy. Also, as Vegeuros says, they're the kind of laws/restrictions (if you want to be pedantic) that need community discussion, though again our work in the other thread may have fulfilled this.

Bottom Line:

I'll leave the Kings and Dukes speech rules here for now, as someone might want them officially legalized - also we need to conclude debate on where exactly to put them.

If I get a general go-ahead, I would be happy to begin the Parliamentary reorganization now.

Minister for Applications and Settlement
Forums Administrator

PostPosted: April 1st, 2016, 5:01 pm 
Duke

I agree with Nick here, I think this should be a part of the carta. This is a constitutional thing and the carta has almost always included forum/game rules. (do not be a dink act etc). So this would definitely be a part of this as this is a forum rule but also a lore type rule as the house of dukes and council of the crowned are all lore things.

It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out of your door, You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." -Bilbo Baggins

Duke of Kaine

PostPosted: April 1st, 2016, 5:06 pm 
King

Name one constitution anywhere in the planet that says, "Only politicians/elites have a right to speak in the parliament, plebs can only speak through lesser institutions" ;) I don't think this is a constitutional matter still, personally.

Yes, I agree this is a part of politics, hence why I called it bureaucracy. But a constitutional clause? Really? Don't mind me :P

But I agree we need to clarify the difference between Rights (in the carta), Criminal Offences (in the criminal code), and Civil Law. Let's do that once we revive the old statutes through the library-revival?

PostPosted: April 1st, 2016, 5:11 pm 
Duke

I'd say they had a similar type thing in the medieval times in many kingdoms. Which is what Hermertia is based around is it not?

It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out of your door, You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." -Bilbo Baggins

Duke of Kaine

PostPosted: April 1st, 2016, 5:17 pm 
King

Well, I dunno. Obviously things aren't going to be exactly congruous - we're a Minecraft server creating a legal lore - but existing constitutions even today do lay out things like the composition of legislative bodies, the requirements and rights of individuals holding those elected or appointed offices, and the voting powers of those individuals. For example, the United States Constitution does things like provide the Vice President with a seat in the Senate and stipulate how he may vote - at least roughly similar to what these forum laws would do.

Minister for Applications and Settlement
Forums Administrator

PostPosted: April 1st, 2016, 5:29 pm 
King

Don't mind me, I was just sharing some thoughts. I personally would hate to belittle the honour of "rights" with such trivial matters, and would prefer it to be a matter of bureaucracy, but I'm just one voice, constitutionally, among many. :) I look forward to the voice of the Empire as a whole, not my own.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next