All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Wolf Rights Bill
PostPosted: July 24th, 2016, 9:27 pm 

Nicholas wrote:
Sam, your idea of limiting them to a single battle wolf was the one I suggested back on page one of the thread as I do like the lore aspect of having a battle wolf, a named furry companion. The only challenge that has been raised to this proposition so far is that numbers may be hard to enforce, but I don't really buy this - it would be fairly easy fo see at a glance if someone has a single wolf or any other number, and it would be a simple matter to screencap someone using more than a single wolf and bring them up on war crimes.

Dyed collars would help for sure. For example, I'd dye mine Lime or Cactus Green, you'd dye your wolf gold or blue, Sam would be Cyan, etc...

PostPosted: July 24th, 2016, 9:41 pm 
King

Right! There is, I believe, a way to incorporate wolves into combat that will allow them to keep combat fair and equal, remain an aspect within the mostly-vanilla combat mechanics of our world, and enrich the lore aspects of combat and wars. I honestly believe we can find an acceptable common ground that satisfies the complaints of some while keeping the mechanic desired by others.

Minister for Applications and Settlement
Forums Administrator

PostPosted: July 24th, 2016, 9:54 pm 
Duke

Im totaly for limiting wolves, but when i said it i imagined 25 a person, not 1, which is why i thought it would be hard to enforce. Honestly im pretty sure it would die instantly if you only had one, but i dont have a problem if anyone wants to do that.

PostPosted: July 24th, 2016, 10:11 pm 
Duke

Yeah, Version B of the Bill covers this.

Version B

Upon hearing the opinions of others, I believe it is time to ban the mass use of tamed wolves within war and to protect them from impractical uses within the Empire.

1. Wolves shall not be allowed to be bred en masse for any purpose other than domestic use.

a. Whereas 'domestic use' refers to the status of being a pet to an individual or family.

2. Wolves may be employed in combat but shall be limited to one (1) per combatant in the case of legal war.

3. Tamed wolves shall not be slain or abused by any person(s) except when said wolf in engaged in combat.

b. Tamed wolves can be slain within a period of recognized war.

Protector of the Vahnic Exploration Company
Ilkhan of Greater Karastan-Laghima

PostPosted: July 24th, 2016, 11:24 pm 
King

I will vote for whatever the community seems to deem appropriate. Ertia has historically remained neutral in most conflicts, so I have yet to find myself up against a horde of wolves and cannot speak to their shittyness or lack thereof.

Judging from what others have said, it generally only becomes an issue when there are hundreds upon hundreds of wolves. So perhaps a limit needs to be enforced? I see the number 25 has been thrown around. However, this is such a small number and it would seem that everyone would be able to breed them. So, is it even worth having wolves in conflict at all if all parties will have a pack and they will seemingly cancel themselves out? Food for thought I suppose.

of River's End

PostPosted: July 24th, 2016, 11:27 pm 

Who threw around that number? In any case, 25 is not only totally useless, but impossible to actually count.

PostPosted: July 25th, 2016, 12:03 am 
Duke

King Arjen IV wrote:
I will vote for whatever the community seems to deem appropriate. Ertia has historically remained neutral in most conflicts, so I have yet to find myself up against a horde of wolves and cannot speak to their shittyness or lack thereof.

Judging from what others have said, it generally only becomes an issue when there are hundreds upon hundreds of wolves. So perhaps a limit needs to be enforced? I see the number 25 has been thrown around. However, this is such a small number and it would seem that everyone would be able to breed them. So, is it even worth having wolves in conflict at all if all parties will have a pack and they will seemingly cancel themselves out? Food for thought I suppose.

The language limits one wolf per person in a war.

Protector of the Vahnic Exploration Company
Ilkhan of Greater Karastan-Laghima

PostPosted: July 25th, 2016, 12:23 am 
Duke

25 wasnt a legitimate suggestion, just a random number to convey why i thought it may be hard to count wolves.

PostPosted: July 25th, 2016, 6:26 pm 
Count

Not that my vote will count when the time to tally arises but I am in favor of option B; however, with one small change. Instead of 1 wolf, raise it to a max of 2.

My reasoning is mostly the way I imagine that a real wolf would feel better having another wolf around.

PostPosted: July 25th, 2016, 7:24 pm 
Count

This is an interesting topic! There are lots of people on both sides but I believe there is room for topic and an amiable solution. First, I'd like to start off by saying I don't think there are many people with two wolves to begin breeding to begin with (I may be mistaken, but I believe The Regent is the only one). That being said, I think the concerns are definitely valid. If there's only one person who's able to produce an war item that's untradeable, I can see why the need for these laws would arise.

I do think there's room for compromise, though.

These suggestions are with the presumption that total war means no holds bar, that means, diamond armor, potions, etc. First, in cases of total war, those in the defending position should be limited to 75 dogs per breeder. The reason being that there should, realistically, be an advantage to those in the defending position. If the owner of the wolves is in the attacking position, I say we limit it to 30 dogs per attacking breeder. It doesn't make sense that an attacker shouldn't use something to his/her advantage. Second, users that are using wolves are not allowed to ender pearl. Personally I think this makes sense so that people playing against wolves can defend against them adequately.

That being said, lore battles should have compromise from both attacking and defending sides. Both parties should decide on what is legal and what isn't. This includes wolves, potions, types of armor, etc. so that both parties are satisfied. My only gripe is you could almost view this agreement as a contract, and if a person breaks the contract in battle, what is the precedent for punishment, if contract law isn't internationally recognized? Some food for thought.

I'd also like to note that the current battle style of "team deathmatch" is very boring and there is a lot of room for improvement. I think I'll make a second post and possible game modes to allow for more flexible/more interesting strategies in battle.

Anyways those are my two cents and I think my proposition allows for a healthier discussion, because currently it seems like the two camps are "no wolf laws, as many wolves in battle" and "wolf laws, one wolf per battle".

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next