All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: May 24th, 2016, 2:41 am 
King

Gentlemen, Ladies, and Gimpy.

I have gathered you here all for a discussion on the longevity of the server.

Our grand world is a vast and beautiful place. Isolationism is a problem however. With the current methods of travel it takes upwards of 15-20 minutes, or 30 minutes to visit across the map. This is a large chunk of otherwise precious and finite time that limit what we can do to meet other players.
Given that the fastest method of travel is unattainable to most players at any given time (fast horses are rare), and even with the fastest horses (minecarts are not even worth mentioning) it is hugely off putting to visit someone for a casual meeting. Add this to the pressure of not wanting to waste down time travelling through an uninteresting series of tubes in the Nether when it could be spent building up lands for ascension or for just the pleasure of building.

The reason we play on a server is to play with others and interact with each other. We have the most fun when visiting, exploring and meeting others, with the more the merrier.

Points covered:
- The world is massive, which is a bonus for variety and build options.
- The world is therefore restrictive in allowing players to roam around and visit each other.
- The world offers horses and minecarts, neither of which are suitable for the vast distances we have to cover in Hermertia.
- The world is therefore restrictive in allowing us to meet each other and enjoy the benefits of playing on a multiplayer server.

Proposed:

International Faster Travel Locations/Ship Ocean Routes

This is the introduction of International Faster Travel Routes via the Oceans.

Benefits:
- Less time spent in the Nether
- More time spent in the Overworld
- More time spent with each other
- Less down time simply holding down "W"
- Reduces Isolationism significantly

Each Ocean Travel Point will be at a Port connected to any of the major Oceans/Seas. Each of the Seas/Oceans are connected via Canals or Rivers, which allow for such travelling to occur.
The Travel Ports will require a significant amount of ships and construction to become 'viable' and become connected to the network of Travel locations.

Each Ship in the port will have clear sign as to it's destination, complete with banners as well for additional clarity.
The act of 'travelling' will involve moving into the ship and entering the "berth" and appear in a similar ship in your destination.
This will involve a plugin to pull this off.

Thoughts on this? I can update the original language in this post if needed.

PostPosted: May 24th, 2016, 2:45 am 
Duke

I think this idea is worth considering. Also, we probably wouldn't have to use a plug-in to do this (command blocks should work just fine).

PostPosted: May 24th, 2016, 5:42 am 
King

This is an interesting concept. One that could, with proper regulations and such, mesh with lore, help reduce travel frustration immensely, increase development, and foster community. I typically am one of the more traditional players, as I've been around for a while, and don't necessarily enjoy the idea of plugins/command blocks that give rise to a less vanilla experience. However, I think this would be a good revolution for our world to experience.

Pros:
-Increases time spent building and less time traveling.
-Will help promote building cities on land connected via water, which is historically where a majority of major cities are founded
-Will promote increased development in cities so as to gain the ability to fast travel by water (ex. building a large enough port to house ships to each city)
-Will increase the amount of ships found in harbors across the empire (there is a woeful amount of ships found in my harbors currently)

Cons:
-A less vanilla experience
-Significantly less nether line development
-Tradition will be broken

I am in favor of this change provided we follow a proper set of rules. I'm on my phone right now, so I won't give a formal proposal. However, I have some ideas:

1) Each ship in one's harbor can only fast travel to one other city in the empire connected by water. Example: The city of Amora in Ertia would need one boat for the Imperial City, one boat for Florae, etc. This would give rise to massive fleets of ships (awesome) and would mean fast travel actually requires a significant amount of investment before it really pays off.
2) Going along with point one, each ship must be a regulation size, perhaps even increasing in size the further you wish to travel (ex. intrarealm travel would require a slightly smaller ship than interrealm travel). Not sure what the size would need be, but I think it should be significant.
3) Fast travel is available only to cities connected via the ocean, cities connected via rivers that connect to the ocean, or cities connected by canals that connect to the ocean. This gives the travel a sense of realism.
4) We keep a log of all cities connected via fast travel and develop a trade map (this is more of a cool suggestion if we do implement this:))

I'm sure I'll think of more, but it's late and I have to work in 5 hours...blegh.

I'll be on the server a ton once my buddy leaves for the military this week. It's my last chance to spend some time with him. So, I'll see you all real soon!

of River's End

PostPosted: May 24th, 2016, 5:44 am 
King

One more point I just thought of. If we use ports as means of fast overworld travel, there may be a significant amount of overworld road/rail development to connect parts of the world not situated on the ocean. This would be pretty sick! It might mean that nether travel would fall a bit by the wayside, but it would have its pros as well.

of River's End

PostPosted: May 24th, 2016, 8:57 am 
Duke

I support such a change. It would go a long way to increasing co-operation with each of our neighbours.

I agree with King Arjen that there should be some regulation in place regarding the number of possible destinations per ship, that ship size should be proportional to distance travelled and that it should be restricted to ports with access to water.

- Recipient of the Pyrencian Good Effort Award
- 2016 Winner of the 'Medal of S'alright'
- Stronger than an ant
- The Tallest

PostPosted: May 24th, 2016, 12:02 pm 
Settler

I am very much against this change. It will shrink the size of our world and break a long-standing tradition of nether travel.

For it falls into the same category as laws that restrict the vanilla experience to make the game easier: 'Turning Mobs off' 'Stopping fire spreading' etc it's the creeping advancement of an antivanilla attitude that seeks to solve issues with plugins rather than in game.

The more we seek to make minecraft easier instead of adapting and building lore around the restrictions of the game the more we divorce ourselves from the history of the server.

I am not infavour of this legislation and would warn those who are of the slippery slope this entails

PostPosted: May 24th, 2016, 3:53 pm 

I support this change, if it is done carefully and warp points require considerable effort to be approved by the Council of the Crowned.

My view is that the vanilla experience of travel in minecraft is sufficient for the average server - a few thousand blocks across, maybe 10k at most. With a world clocking in at such large numbers that 10k is the distance between the players in many cases, this doesn't apply to our world.

Easier in terms of turning off mobs or fire spread is not the same kind of easier that faster travel would allow. Shaving off 15-20 minutes of travel time between major areas means more interaction, more people staying on the server in the long run, and more activity overall. It also decreases the chance of actual active players getting carpal tunnel from holding down W for far longer than is necessary.

PostPosted: May 24th, 2016, 4:03 pm 
King

Valid points, Caesar.

When balanced against the community staying together though in the long term, it is in my opinion, worth the change. I know it's against tradition, but Mark put it well in his post above mine.

I travel frequently in the Nether all across the world. It is by far my least favourite part of the game and the server. In the Old World it was much, much smaller, and therefore more appropriate. If things were still on such a scale, I would have never even thought to have brought up this suggested addition. Our World size is a blessing and a curse.

Nether Travel will still be a thing, however, when compared to the amount of time one spends in the Nether compared to the Overworld, one might as well be playing on different worlds for all the connection in the Overworld is given the vast distances. The Overworld travel experience is almost non existent, compared to that of the traditional Old World. Meeting people all the time was traditional, travelling for 30 minutes along a cobble tunnel in an unchanging red and orange hellscape is not my idea of fun.

I know these words are unlikely to persuade your point of view, and that the slipperly slope is indeed a thing, I doubt any further changes or addition would be put in place after this. At present there are no other things I would consider to improve the server after this.

It's good to hear from you again.

Also Just saw Mark Stefan's points on this, good point.

PostPosted: May 24th, 2016, 7:00 pm 
Duke

This proposal makes sense to me. One thing that always frustrates me about Minecraft is the opportunity to build big structures, like sailing ships but they serve no purpose other than to look pretty. We include naval travel in our lore but it doesn't exist as a mechanism within the game, unless we're gonna sit in a tiny rowing boat.

It also means the implementation of such canals offers a practical use as well as decorative. I know there was one built between Minerva and Valtoros a while ago, and there is another by Ertia I believe. It would encourage so much more development of the overworld and connect it so much better.

This is a modification of the game and it does detract from the vanilla aspect of the game, but in this instance the vanilla aspect is hindering us in a position where it should not. We've built the ships, they're there and ready to sail, we just cannot use them because of the inhibitions of the game itself. I fully support this idea.

PostPosted: May 24th, 2016, 9:52 pm 
Count

I like this idea, travelling through the nether line can be a dull experience. My thoughts about this topic and the replies I have read:

1).Regarding King Arjen's reply, I support his idea to have one ship for each route. This could make the system more realistic by creating transfer routes to go from point A to B. So let's say I want to go from Casadia to kabranth, if you see a map you can see there is no ocean connecting both of them, so I should take a ship from Casadia to Perth, then I can use Perth's nether line to go from the east part to the western part, and there take a ship to Kabranth. by doing this we can have all realms connected without having to do the actual connection between kingdoms. This would make ports useful and bigger, since you would need a ship for each route, so the biggest port of hermertia would be something really epic, turning into the central hub of the empire. Also it would encourage co-builds, since you would a ship in each end of the route for it to be active.

a map to visualize my idea, blue is ship route. The red is not the actual nether line, just the route it should make.

2). It would make trade an actual thing: Without having to travel for 30 minutes, trading items would be much easier. Maybe inside the ship there could be a "warp station" sort of like a platfrom say 5x5 so you could warp with two merchant donkeys and trade all that stone you don't need.

3). This transportation system could be used only for interrealm travel, complemented with nether lines. So if you need to arrive to a certain county, first you arrive to the kingdom on a ship and then you use the existing nether lines.

4). we should also add an in-game value. Let's say the ship needs to have three diamond blocks, five gold blocks and ten iron blocks in their materials list. This would increase a ship's value production, making it an endeavor resource-wise. Maybe this value could be a payment before the warp: gold nuggets, the quantity increasing with the distance of the travel. This could let to the creation of an actual economy inside the server.

5). Finally, I share Haedren's thought: Maybe this could be achieved with command blocks, and as such, each ship would be inspected to see if it fits the requirements, and then the kings would put the command blocks for the warp to work.

CASADIA STRONK