All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: January 20th, 2016, 12:38 am 
King

Thanks for your input Arjen and Freyr.

Freyr Eberhardt wrote:
For example, the points that Sam has posted could be refined a little but could be used as a guideline for someone who is "applying" to become a King. Each part should be at least met for the majority and the final part would be the Council's final approval. Making it a guideline would help make things transparent for those wondering what would help them become a King only and would by no means suggest that someone that met all the criteria will automatically become a King.

Freyr, this was my thought too. Earlier in the thread here, I suggested that we refine the points made by Sam and others into one document, entitled (say) "Guidelines for Ascension to King/Queen", ratify that, and create a legal requirement that the Council consult that when making a determination. As you say, this allows for a transparent process where the prospective applicant knows pretty well what the Council is basing their judgment on, but also leaves some leeway for the Council to make their decision.

I suggested that we change the current legal language from this:

Quote:
Prospective King/Queen Applicant must have: 3 concurrent Duchies as voted on by the Council, and must gain 100% of the active Council Members votes to become a King/Queen.

To something like:

Quote:
The prospective applicant to the rank of King/Queen must satisfy the requirements of:

a) Having established 3 duchies, comprised of 9 counties, as determined in unison by the Council of the Crowned. (Build requirement may yet be changed, we need to discuss this. I'm in two minds about it, as we need Kingdoms to actually look like a Kingdom: large and varied)

b) Having established safe, secure, and extensive infrastructure as is serviceable for the prospective Kingdom, and as creates a safe and secure connection with the Empire via the Nether, as determined in unison by the Council of the Crowned.

c) Having proven themselves to represent the virtues of Hermertia and an outstanding member of Hermertia in the form of commitment, established personal lore, participation in Imperial lore and events, communal activity and relations, etc, as detailed in "Guidelines for Ascension to King/Queen", as determined in unison by the Council of the Crowned.

d) Having obtained a unanimous (100%) vote of assent from the Council of the Crowned.

Thoughts on this?

Minister for Applications and Settlement
Forums Administrator

PostPosted: January 20th, 2016, 12:45 am 
Duke

The new language looks good to me! Definitely a lot clearer than the current guidelines.

PostPosted: March 26th, 2016, 2:00 pm 
King

Hey lords and ladies!

Could we get the ball rolling on this again? When we left off, my language as proposed here seemed to meet with approval; it would be great to get the changes to the ascension process finalized and legalized.

My proposed language:

Quote:
The prospective applicant to the rank of King/Queen must satisfy the requirements of:

a) Having established 3 duchies, comprised of 9 counties, as determined in unison by the Council of the Crowned. (Build requirement may yet be changed, we need to discuss this. I'm in two minds about it, as we need Kingdoms to actually look like a Kingdom: large and varied)

b) Having established safe, secure, and extensive infrastructure as is serviceable for the prospective Kingdom, and as creates a safe and secure connection with the Empire via the Nether, as determined in unison by the Council of the Crowned.

c) Having proven themselves to represent the virtues of Hermertia and an outstanding member of Hermertia in the form of commitment, established personal lore, participation in Imperial lore and events, communal activity and relations, etc, as detailed in "Guidelines for Ascension to King/Queen", as determined in unison by the Council of the Crowned.

d) Having obtained a unanimous (100%) vote of assent from the Council of the Crowned.

Forums Administrator

PostPosted: March 26th, 2016, 5:57 pm 
King

This is looking more like the language that we need for sure and it definitely makes things clear. The only thing I am concerned with is the build requirements. What I have noticed in the past, and it is just my opinion, is that the builds are lacks so that individuals can build up their counties quick and so forth (not everyone is like this). What was proposed is that an individual in search of Kingdom status must have at least 2 duchies with the 3 county requirement in each. Where it becomes different is that an individual could then either choose to add another county on top of the 2 that are required as a minimum or participate in co-builds.

The aim of these proposed changes was to foster more community involvement to ensure the longevity of the server rather than just focus on builds and such. If we have a requirement of 3 duchies my concern is that we will have counties with either little amounts of buildings or counties with a lot of the same building. This doesn't really do much for us in terms of marketing our server in the long term.

So is there any way we can alter the first requirement to include a provision to have 2 duchies (i agree there should be at least this to ensure a notion of a Kingdom is established or in the works) at a minimum with an option to either build a 3rd duchy or to participate in co-builds instead?

The rest I would agree with.

PostPosted: March 26th, 2016, 6:04 pm 
Duke

I agree with all of the above. I think it strikes a good balance between developing one's own lands and community involvement.

PostPosted: March 26th, 2016, 11:56 pm 
Duke

That was the entire basis for this argument from the outset, to make it easier for people to become kings by allowing them to not have to slave away at uniform builds, so I agree

PostPosted: March 27th, 2016, 12:39 am 
King

Agreed with Freyr's comments.

PostPosted: March 27th, 2016, 1:01 pm 
King

I think we're all in agreement here that 2 duchies strikes a good balance; that fulfills a clear build requirement while also allowing some leeway on the part of the Council (which will inevitably be part of the ascension process after all) in regards to the prospective King/Queen's participating in other building (i.e. Co-Builds).

Thanks all for your insight! I have altered the language and copied it below; if this meets with approval perhaps one of the Kings - or I would also be happy to do it - can create a separate thread for voting on this finalized language.

Quote:

a) Having established in their realm 2 duchies, comprised of 6 counties, as determined in unison by the Council of the Crowned.

Forums Administrator

PostPosted: March 27th, 2016, 3:38 pm 
Count

First question:
How would you define "serviceable"? Is merely a useability important? Or does it have to fill a certained set of rules? aestetics? size? with minecart tracks/ice roads or without?
Second question:
What does "having proven themselves" mean to you?
Best buddies with everyone except The Fishlord? Know some of the folk by name? Drinking buddy with Sam and Ferris?
Same thing with "outstanding member".

My point here is, that I know that you want to make the rules sound mighty and grand, keeping them in touch with the overall In-Lore feeling.
But the more grandeur you use, the more loopholes and things, which could lead to disagreements or even quarrels, you insert in the rules.

Rules should be as short and clear as possible to give it a good understandabilty for everyone. So that everyone talks about the same thing and not 20 different people with 20 different definitions of "outstanding member".

Thanks, and if you think I'm not aloud to talk here aswell, read my other post first or have a look at the forum rules and the Indoles Carta.

PostPosted: March 27th, 2016, 5:15 pm 
Duke

It is in the parliament so I think you should be fine posting in here.

In regards to your suggestions, Roglar, do you have any suggestions on how it could be worded in order to meet your wishes; being short and concise while also as clear and exact as possible to minimise loopholes?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next