All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: January 19th, 2016, 3:37 pm 
King

In regards to the separate channels, you're quite right. This is the express reason we have two, after all, so it really shouldn't be an issue.

Regarding the theme of other games re: Hermertia, I have the same feeling. Obviously its not for the Hermertia parliament to say how much time we should spend playing other games, but I'm of the firm opinion that these games should have no bering on internal Hermertian decisions.

Minister for Applications and Settlement
Forums Administrator

PostPosted: January 19th, 2016, 4:11 pm 
Count

Regarding the points system, I have an idea to keep it, yet make it more flexible:

Suggested process:
  • The applicant submits his request in the form of a post showcasing his achievements in each of the main categories; Building, Lore, Organizations, Community Involvement, Other.
  • The members of the Council of the Crowned individually assess the achievements and assign a score on 10 for each category except for Other. Points are assigned for other achievements based on the Kings' assessment of the achievement's value. These results are then averaged by category.
  • If any one category (except Other) is below 5 or 6, the applicant is invited to further invest their efforts in the area in question. If all results are sufficient, the process continues.
  • The results of all categories are then added together. The total must be above 30 (or else, idk) for the applicant to be granted the status of King.

This would allow case by case wiggle room, consideration of unlisted achievements, balance in the recognition of all four dimensions of Hermertia, and a formal, clear and I believe fair procress for ascensions.

Appointed Minister of Wysterian Architecture

PostPosted: January 19th, 2016, 4:25 pm 
Duke

Liserett wrote:
while a game is in progress, players should graciously bring the game talk to the non-Hermertia channel.

This is a fair point and something we should definitely change. The main Hermertia channel should be for Hermertia-related chat only.

I also agree that other games should not be a factor in becoming a king. Playing other games with members of the community is not relevant to one's role in Hermertia.

PostPosted: January 19th, 2016, 5:34 pm 
King

I am amazed by the backlash against the other games section. Seems to be the only part however, that is getting flak. Intended as a very small additional thing to show getting involved with community members. We're not just Hermertia the Minecraft server, we're Hermertia the group of good friends.

Keep this on Kingship changes only also, keep on topic. New threads for separate discussions.

PostPosted: January 19th, 2016, 7:18 pm 
Duke

Okay, so I agree with what Liserett is saying. But this law isn't just about CIV 5 at all. It's about getting together with the community and diversifying activities. I agree if you don't play the specific game being played at the moment it can be hard to be part of the discussion, definitely go into the other channel from now on, 100%. but what point Sam and I are trying to make is this, if you invite others to play a game with you, sure it may stop certain conversations from happening about things within the game but it creates new bonds within the community. Bonds that go past the ign world of hermertia, it allows for more discussion to be had and is overall just plain good fun for those involved. Which is what Hermertia is truly about. Fun. Yeah it takes a some work but we all play Minecraft and RP and write up lore for a reason, we enjoy it. If you can play another game with someone from Hermertia and in turn help them enjoy themselves more, that should be rewarded (in a sense, not literally).

Now another point which I have repeated (so has Sam) is this:
Quote:
alternate games counting toward the kingship requirements
This is a quote from a response, if we implement this point system, the way it is supposed to work is that there will be very few "requirements". Instead I think we need to look at them as encouragements. The kings themselves have the final say remember, and in all honesty it will still be about how they feel about the person. The point of the points (ehehe) is to be very transparent about what the kings are looking for, not what you have to have (ehehe?) in the potential kings.

So yeah, if you still disagree thats fine. But what I am trying to point out is that this isn't the "join the CIV club or else you wont be a king" but rather "Please enjoy other games with your Hermertian friends so they see that Hermertia is a community, not just a player base of Minecrafters."

It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out of your door, You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." -Bilbo Baggins

Duke of Kaine

PostPosted: January 19th, 2016, 7:23 pm 
Duke

(also I am like 90% those who are below the rank of king aren't supposed to use this subforum so maybe this should moved to the imperial court yo)

EDIT
Okay not because we shouldnt be posting here but this is meant for ratifying bills and such. So we should still move it to Imperial Court

It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out of your door, You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." -Bilbo Baggins

Duke of Kaine

PostPosted: January 19th, 2016, 7:50 pm 
Count

I don't understand why this is getting so out of proportion.

I agree that we want to promote a sense of community and that this can be encouraged by playing alternate games. Doing different activities as a community can indeed be beneficial in some ways, although I do not believe in absolutes and I think it can also be detrimental in some ways as I mentioned.

There are many ways to promote a sense of community and if it is truly judged that considering participation to alternate games when evaluating an application for kingship is the way to go, then be it. Some agree, some disagree, we all made our cases, I have little say in the matter beyond this. The matter will be resolved when the Council o the Crowned vote for the bill.

This being settled (I hope, lol) how would we feel about the creation of a Ministry of Communications and Entertainment which could encompass Mumble, alternate games, the Imperial games, the coordination of certain lore events and any other initiatives regarding community bonding. (Please don't discuss this here, if the idea is judged interesting, someone make a new thread... idk)

Appointed Minister of Wysterian Architecture

PostPosted: January 19th, 2016, 8:48 pm 
King

Liserett sums up my views. I feel like there's a bit of a disconnect here between those for taking into account outside games and those staunchly against it. So I'll say one last thing and be done with it for now.

Sam, everyone here agrees that community involvement is an essential part of a great King, and an essential prerequisite for being promoted to that position. Equally, everyone agrees that community involvement can be expressed, and bonds can be strengthened, through the games we play that aren't Minecraft.

But Kings and Queens are a unique Hermertian idea, and what some of us are arguing against is the idea that the degree to which you participate in games other than Minecraft should have any bearing on what kind of a King/Queen you would make.

At the end of the day, it will end up a judgment of the Council's feeling of the sir/madam. But many of us feel that the degree to which the applicant plays in games other than Minecraft shouldn't enter into the consideration.

Minister for Applications and Settlement
Forums Administrator

PostPosted: January 19th, 2016, 10:47 pm 
King

I agree with Nicholas, Liserett, and anyone else who shares the thought that participating in other games, such as Civ 5, should not be a contributing factor when considering if one should be awarded Kingship or not.

I do, however, believe that an overhaul of the system might be necessary, or at least a bit of a tweak. Many of the kings nowadays, myself included, have been kings since the old world, where we were all extremely active. For some of us, this was 3-4 years ago or more. It's difficult to keep up the same amount of playtime over such a long period of time, especially with many of us going through very key transitional periods in out lives (getting jobs, having a serious relationship, graduating college, etc.). So, I feel like I must apologize personally for not being the dedicated king that everyone wants and does truly deserve.

With that being said, I believe that a change in the system which promotes a rise to kingship that is diversified from the current "build 3 duchies and you can apply" method might be beneficial. The
Council has always been a VERY exclusive club, as I believe it should be. However, there are many current players that I can think of who would make fantastic additions to the Council. Do they have three or more duchies? No. Have they been active, key players for many years, contributing to the growth of the server in many varied ways? Yep! So, how can we help them rise to kingship? Using a diversified method, such as what Sam is suggesting.

Anyways, being such a poor writer, I hope you all can understand my incoherent ramblings! Hopefully my kingly thoughts help contribute to further discussion.

of River's End

PostPosted: January 20th, 2016, 12:12 am 
King

I agree with what many of you have stated as well. As Arjen and many others have said, reference to other games in the Kingship application would have to be removed. Playing other games could still be used to become integrated in our community but should be excluded from determining If someone should be a King or not.

As for the application itself, I believe a system that has been suggested by Sam and Liserett would work out nicely. For example, the points that Sam has posted could be refined a little but could be used as a guideline for someone who is "applying" to become a King. Each part should be at least met for the majority and the final part would be the Council's final approval. Making it a guideline would help make things transparent for those wondering what would help them become a King only and would by no means suggest that someone that met all the criteria will automatically become a King.

Anyways just my points of view.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next