All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Villager Egg Formula
PostPosted: January 1st, 2016, 9:19 pm 
King

Happy New Year everyone!

I believe we should discuss how many eggs are awarded to an individual once they have established their town or city. Is it possible to come up with a formula?

We would need to come up with items that are used in this calculation. For instance, we would need to have a base to work from (i.e. area is required to have a minimum of 4 buildings for the villagers to reside/work in). We could then award additional eggs for the amount of dwellings/buildings that are built in addition to the base amount.

Lets get these discussions going. It would be nice to have something to work with when awarding the eggs to an area to make sure the process is objective and transparent.

Post subject: Re: Villager Egg Formula
PostPosted: January 1st, 2016, 10:43 pm 
Duke

I think developing a formula for this is a great idea. As for the components of the formula, I think it should take into account both the number of buildings, but the type of building as well (e.g. residential buildings are given a greater value). Here is an idea of what the formula could look like:

# of eggs = 5 +2x + 5y + z

x = # of residential buildings in the settlement, with a 2x multiplier to give them greater importance since more houses would mean a larger population.
y = # of 'feature' buildings. These are exceptionally large buildings like keeps or town halls that are highlights of the settlement.
z = # of buildings that do not fall into either of the above categories. These are mostly non-residential buildings like smithies or stables.
The 5 at the beginning is a serves as a base number of eggs to be added on to the total from buildings. I think this will serve to help make towns feel less empty if they have lots of commercial buildings and more concentrated residential areas.

This is just a rough outline of some ideas for a formula. Let me know what you all think.

PostPosted: January 2nd, 2016, 12:44 am 
Count

Are you guys drunk? ^^ Give everyone a couple of Eggs and build a village breeder. Takes around 5min. The only thing you need is some food. The eggs are pretty convinient, but if you start evolving a "formula" the only thing you accomplish is making things overly complicated.

PostPosted: January 2nd, 2016, 5:03 am 
King

I don't disagree with you Roglar but it has been commonplace to get eggs when a settlement is ready. Arkelai's formula would be good as a starting point in the settlement then someone could "breed" after they have been given the correct amount of eggs for their settlement.

To accomodate Roglar's point of view, which is not incorrect, should eggs be given as a one time thing for each settlement then the individual would be responsible for breeding the villagers?

PostPosted: January 2nd, 2016, 9:41 am 
King

I think if people want to breed them thats fine, but we should also be able to give them to people who dont want to build breeders. If you give them to someone and they all die for some reason then that person should have to make the settlement much safer for them before we give them more.

-The Hydra
For a full list of titles, please see enclosed document.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=741

PostPosted: January 2nd, 2016, 9:15 pm 
King

This is also a very good point, thank you for that. Just out of curiosity, say the villagers do not die but the individual wants more villagers because their settlement has expanded. Do we follow a similar formula but exclude the base amount? Like King Anthrail has stated I do not think that we need to force the construction of breeding stations but do think these scenarios should be addressed.

PostPosted: January 2nd, 2016, 9:32 pm 
King

I think excluding the base amount would be the best way to give more if the settlement increases in size

-The Hydra
For a full list of titles, please see enclosed document.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=741

PostPosted: January 3rd, 2016, 12:09 am 
Duke

Just my own input here. Not everyone knows how to breed them or make breeders. Also I think making a formula is just making everything too overly complicated. Just give people a random number. Like I still have like 15 in my ender chest. It really doesn't matter. We don't need to make everything so complicates, kids.

"Music in the soul can be heard by the universe" ~Lao Tzu

PostPosted: January 3rd, 2016, 12:24 am 
King

Play by ear for the most part, its not broken OP to have more than a few villagers. Asredai said it right. Its fiddly as hell and unnecessary extra effort seeing as you cant leash villagers and pull them where you want them to go. If you have a legit reason for having a villager in a shop or house then thats fine.

PostPosted: January 16th, 2016, 10:42 pm 
King

Sounds about right to me: obviously we shouldn't be giving them away willy-nilly, but a decent amount of thought by the King in question along with a transparent and honest recipient (so basically all of us) should do I think without resorting to a possibly inefficient mandated calculation.

Just my two cents.

Minister for Applications and Settlement
Forums Administrator