All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: August 8th, 2016, 6:27 pm 

Just like we discussed a topic last month, I'd like to discuss a different topic this month: technology

How it works in Minecraft Minecraft is strange when it comes to technology. We have gunpowder, but no guns. We have some mechanical machines, and even coal power, but some things like steamboats are clearly not in vogue with community standards. We have "magic" via enchanting and potion brewing. We have magical portals to strange dimensions. We have rail transportation as well. Minecraft is indeed a strange world.

Our Lore:

Most seem to agree that we are in the mid to late medieval period for outlying areas and perhaps for smaller realms, and the early renaissance for more advanced areas. Technologically this covers different years for different places: China was far more advanced technologically up until the 1600s. The Middle East was flourishing throughout the European Medieval period as well. Not all of Europe advanced at the same rate.

If we also take things from fantasy (which we should) what can we lorify? Game of Thrones, Lord of the Rings, and many other fantasy novels/films can be used for inspiration of course. We are a fantasy server, afterall!

What technology would you guys like to see lorified? What should be considered lore-breaking? Obviously things like a steamboat are totally lore breaking, yet some disagree when it comes from things built in the same era. Should things from the more recent era be incorporated into our lore if they don't use something too advanced(like electricity or steam power)?

PostPosted: August 8th, 2016, 6:39 pm 
King

Not everything from the same eras have to necessarily be discovered within the same time frame in our world, as compared to the real world. Some aspects could exist while others not so much.

PostPosted: August 8th, 2016, 6:41 pm 

Samyrrah Almandine wrote:
Not everything from the same eras have to necessarily be discovered within the same time frame in our world, as compared to the real world. Some aspects could exist while others not so much.

Right, just like with the differences between China, the Middle East, India, the New World, and Europe at any point in history - even in the year 2016.

PostPosted: August 8th, 2016, 7:16 pm 
Duke

I don't have much time to make a big comment, but what about the rail systems? The nether is filled with rail lines and we use steam power to move vast cargoes. How do we lorify this without detrimenting the era you outlined.

PostPosted: August 8th, 2016, 7:23 pm 
Duke

I think we should avoid trying to make our Minecraft world analogous to the real world in terms of eras or technology, and focus instead on creating the world feel we want. I'm concerned that if we define this too stringently, we will ultimately limit how creative we can be. I think that what counts as lore-breaking and lore-compliant will evolve organically along with the community.

More broadly, I think that gameplay should inform lore, instead of lore informing gameplay.

PostPosted: August 8th, 2016, 7:26 pm 
King

The Chairman wrote:
I think we should avoid trying to make our Minecraft world analogous to the real world in terms of eras or technology, and focus instead on creating the world feel we want. I'm concerned that if we define this too stringently, we will ultimately limit how creative we can be. I think that what counts as lore-breaking and lore-compliant will evolve organically along with the community.

More broadly, I think that gameplay should inform lore, instead of lore informing gameplay.

I agree with the Chairman here. It's cool to compare our world to medieval Europe, but I think that when we define our world by how life was like back then, we limit our creativity. We don't need to be a real world analog.

of River's End

PostPosted: August 8th, 2016, 7:38 pm 

We also don't need people building steamboats and artillery as well, so we do need some kind of frame of reference.

Not being stuck in one period is something I don't think anyone disagrees on.

PostPosted: August 8th, 2016, 10:14 pm 
King

Mark Stefan wrote:
We also don't need people building steamboats and artillery as well, so we do need some kind of frame of reference.

True. Perhaps this is a case of dealing with things as they come up instead of setting strict boundaries perhaps? In the past, when a build hasn't jiived with the community's lore idea of the world, it has been dealt with effectively (aka the giant duck ;)). How can we put definite limits on things that are maybe not even thought up yet?

of River's End

PostPosted: August 8th, 2016, 10:20 pm 

King Arjen IV wrote:
Mark Stefan wrote:

True. Perhaps this is a case of dealing with things as they come up instead of setting strict boundaries perhaps? In the past, when a build hasn't jiived with the community's lore idea of the world, it has been dealt with effectively (aka the giant duck ;)). How can we put definite limits on things that are maybe not even thought up yet?

Right, i was just hoping more stories like the lore duck would come up here - has there been any other things that the community has talked about, and not written down ( or lost to the old forums)?

People should be able to voice their opinions about things they'd like to see as well, we don't have to focus on the negative.

What things have you guys thought would be cool to lore-ify as well?

PostPosted: August 9th, 2016, 3:59 am 
King

As you mentioned in the post above, yeah, makes sense to do it on a case-by-case basis, as we have no idea what people will attempt in the future and dont want to discourage anything potentially awesome by imposing limits that might inhibit creativity.

Lorifying Rails might be worthwhile, if a little difficult. Redstone powered aint they?