All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: January 19th, 2016, 5:32 pm 
King

Nicholas wrote:
Unfortunately, everyone knows I'm terrible at remembering the various iterations of characters.

lel

PostPosted: January 19th, 2016, 7:28 pm 
Duke

lel I am now king of Pyrencia.

It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out of your door, You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." -Bilbo Baggins

Duke of Kaine

PostPosted: January 19th, 2016, 7:38 pm 
King

and Asredai is also your serf.

PostPosted: January 19th, 2016, 7:39 pm 
Duke

mhmmm

It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out of your door, You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." -Bilbo Baggins

Duke of Kaine

PostPosted: January 19th, 2016, 7:52 pm 
Count

So you guys want to help with this?

Appointed Minister of Wysterian Architecture

PostPosted: January 19th, 2016, 8:54 pm 
King

We do. We need the library up first. Atryl *poke*

PostPosted: January 19th, 2016, 8:55 pm 
Count

No... we don't...

Have you read this thread's first post..?

I'm putting a lot of time in this thing, just straight out tell me if it is wasted time, I'll employ it better doing other things.

PostPosted: January 19th, 2016, 9:24 pm 
Settler

Liserett wrote:
No... we don't.....
I'm putting a lot of time in this thing, just straight out tell me if it is wasted time, I'll employ it better doing other things.

I did a fair bit of template and link work for the old wiki. The basic organization was tabs at the top and the 'main' page being the history tab. Which worked pretty well. I was gutted when it was all lost but I remember how to construct it and do all the formatting. Tbh the main thing at this point is just content, rather than organizing the planned wiki, it'll be considerably easier to make a few main pages once we know what we've got (which was 100% the main problem with the old wiki, me and Cody always disagreed on this as he thought making empty links and organizing the wiki in big empty sections was best as you can see which pages were most necessary and it's easy to add information (you could list the most referenced empty links so by filling in the top one you'd fill in the most linked empty page)) however for me this was very very detrimental to functionality.

I think we should focus purely on written lore atm so when the wiki is back up we can wack in the pages. It'll be quite simple to organize imo, have tabs at the top for history, important persons, realms, books (maybe maps) and FAQ (where you can put the wiki guide in) keeping it at that will allow for a clear hierarchy. The history will give a good overview, realms at route to realms/settlements etc Books/Maps a showcase.

Now for me I think important persons tab should really only include people with a good page written & Duke and Above. Another thing Cody insisted on was everyone was an important person but I think this information could be put into a realms/settlement page with links to the people there. As the page was massive and there was too maby empty pages in their. This is solved by a simple list of Kings/Dukes with only filled in pages. The info for erryone is still is still in the wiki but this way functionality isn't harmed.

Things like featured articles and stuff can wait as I'd rather have more content than more space for content e.g little empty pages of realms, as an example Honotochi was a very important historical kingdom but if there's not enough to put on a page, leave it out until its good, admittedly this isn't 'inclusive' but if someone isn't gonna make a page for it then I think it should take up space as an empty page/link

I'm quite busy atm but in February I'll be able to help writing pages.

PostPosted: January 19th, 2016, 9:55 pm 
Count

I think I'd tend to agree with Cody on this, I was working on the website at my work (hospital, so lots of content) and it went pretty well. A structure and templates were put in place, everything was linked, then the various departments were responsible to add their content.

The Library has so much more potential than just adding the few categories you mention, and if organized right, it wouldn't even be this hard to maintain.

Arkelai has been helping me working on the structure and templates, and Nicholas promised his help on writing descriptions and introductions. I'm confident this wiki could be an invaluable tool to archive a gold mine of information on Hermertia. The structure I have in mind is simple, easy to use especially with templates, easy to maintain and only demands a bit of effort from all.

I am aware that losing everything was hard. I've been hearing this since I joined in June. What happened suck, but it happened. From here on, I guess we have three choices: 1- Give up, we lost it all and we're not that resilient after all. 2- Finally rebuild the library, just adding pages under a few categories and linking stuff as we go with no consistency, without putting too much work into it because what if we lose it again, Liserett quit wasting your time we don't care all that much, 3- Building a motherfucking bad ass library we'll be proud of, structured, complete, magnificent because eh, Liserett is doing most the the work anyway so we might as well take a bit on an interest and help a tad.

There won't be hundreds of empty links. Example, for say, Wysteria. On the home page, there will be a link called "Realms". This link will bring to a list of all realms. The front page will also have a link called "Pages templates" which will contain a list of links for all kinds of templates. Nicholas would take an Independent Duchy template, fill it with Wysteria's information and so create the page for Wysteria. He would then research the word "Wysteria" and link every instance of the word to the page, including on the "Realms" page.

No "sorry this page doesn't exist yet" links, we don't want to create a huge bunch of empty pages, just the structure leading to these pages and the templates to creating content pages.

This probably doesn't make sense, I'm feeling very French today. It's clear in my head -.-

PostPosted: January 19th, 2016, 10:25 pm 
Settler

That's the idea but it never works in practice, it was the main problem with the old library - that it was built top down. As in lots of headers and places to put stuff but nothing in them. From experience the best way if bottom up, Content first! It works so much better, once you've got a search bar it's very easy to find content and it's not like content first wikis will be smaller, if anything they'll be bigger.

In my experience it's quite easy to organize pages once they're there so 'tack on' extra bits and it will be a shame to make the new wiki which follows the mistakes of the past.

The issue with getting people to fill in their own pages is a lot of the time they don't get round to it and it's risky to put stuff down for other people coz they might be offended/etc if the lore is inaccurate. Also a lot of the time (in fairness as is to be expected) people contribute in fits and starts so you get half finished pages and empty pages.

The best thing to do is to write content pages, then keep it simple with tab pages only linking to full pages not just massive empty sections. E.g Kyn/King of Isilioth doesn't play too much rn, but are obviously a massive part of the history with verbal lore which when it is written will be fantastic. However for now they'll end up taking up prime real estate on the realms page (where else could you put them) with little content. Same with important persons everyone is important but not everyone has full pages.

Prioritize the complete content, that's the key.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next