All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: August 3rd, 2015, 7:02 pm 
King

The Dark Age, as it has only recently come to be known, was a period of time stemming approximately from the departure of the last Regent of the Empire from his post until the beginning of the Cycle of the Phoenix (August?).

Towards the end of the Cycle of the Dragon, it was discovered that the Regent of the Empire (what number was he?) was discovered to have been using manipulative techniques and the threat of religious retribution to exploit the population of his Kingdom, Minerva. This quasi slave labor was used in particular to rapidly construct the city of Ikwe. It was only when a team of international investigators discovered the shoddy construction techniques and ragged appearance of Ikwe's laborers that the Regent's manipulative ways were uncovered, much to the surprise and dismay of the international community.

The Regent stepped down from his post, but the damage had already been done. As part of his role in the Empire's administration, he was largely in charge of documenting historical events, organizing cartographers to chart new territory, and was seen by many as the head of the Council of the Crowned. With his sudden departure, it was quickly discovered that these responsibilities were not so easily learned. Heads of state retreated to their capitals, progress slowed, and the Dark Age began.

Development and population in the empire dropped. Kings, dukes, and counts alike were not seen by their citizens for mercannum at a time. All plans for the Imperial City were put on hold for the time being.

It stayed this way for what some believe to be approximately seven mercannum. The exact time is difficult to determine, as record keeping was largely inexistent during the period. Finally, correspondence between heads of state picked up once again when it was seen how badly the self imposed hermitage was hurting both the international and local economies. It was decided that there was to be a meeting between all those wishing to play a part in the new age of international politics. The meeting occurred on the site of the long proposed Imperial City. Here cabinet members from all across the Empire were democratically voted into newly established offices, new trade agreements were created, and it was decided that the Imperial City's construction would finally begin.

With the laying of the first brick in the Imperial City, the Dark Age came to a close and the Cycle of the Phoenix began. For glory!

of River's End

PostPosted: August 3rd, 2015, 7:19 pm 
King

Like the title says, this is definitely tentative and nothing in it is 100% concrete. I was trying to concisely sum up everything that I think we sorta decided upon in one way or another. Feel free to write down what you think should be added or taken away and we can finally canonize this whole ordeal.

I know there's been a lot of talk about how much time passed when the Regent left until the beginning of the Cycle of the Phoenix. I believe that the Dark Age should span from then (January approximately) until either August (if we decide that is when mercannum 00 is) or June (if we decide that is when mercannum 00 is) and here are my reasons:

1. We lost a large amount of citizens after the Regent left, or at least many citizens became very inactive. We are getting back to where we once were population wise, but it has taken until the summer for this to occur. This would mean the Dark Age extended for longer than a month irl, in my opinion.

2. I think that making this chaotic dark period shorter just so people don't have to change their characters or lore is kind of a cop out. If we decide it occurred between January and June that is only 30 in game years. Most people's characters could survive that, unless they are freakishly old (as human characters can decidedly live to about 120-150 years of age if I remember correctly).

3. It took us until the summer in order to get the site functioning properly (it still isn't 100%).

4. We, for the most part, started the Imperial City right when summer began.

of River's End

PostPosted: August 3rd, 2015, 8:25 pm 
Duke

^ all of the above points to making the new cycle/coming out of the dark age in June :b what with it taking summer to get everything together.

It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out of your door, You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." -Bilbo Baggins

Duke of Kaine

PostPosted: August 4th, 2015, 2:23 am 
Duke

I am for June as the starting date of the happier times. Also, could we call it the Dark Ages instead of simply the Dark age? sort of bugs me every time I read it. I also kept a book and quill of some things before I went inactive, and it said that the "35th regent has sadly passed away." So I'd assume the 36th Regent of the Empire was the one involved, unless he died during my inactivity, again.

Protector of the Vahnic Exploration Company
Ilkhan of Greater Karastan-Laghima

PostPosted: August 4th, 2015, 3:45 am 
Duke

IIRC, it was indeed the 36th Regent.

PostPosted: August 4th, 2015, 7:20 am 
King

Alexander wrote:
I am for June as the starting date of the happier times. Also, could we call it the Dark Ages instead of simply the Dark age? sort of bugs me every time I read it. I also kept a book and quill of some things before I went inactive, and it said that the "35th regent has sadly passed away." So I'd assume the 36th Regent of the Empire was the one involved, unless he died during my inactivity, again.

We could switch that up if everyone agrees they like it better. I initially titled it "The Dark Ages," but I figured since it was a singular period of time that "The Dark Age" might fit a tad better. Its up to the community to decide which they like better of course :)

of River's End

PostPosted: August 4th, 2015, 1:48 pm 
Count

I think our minds are drawn to the dark ages with an s because this is a real world thing. In the context of Hermertia, I think it would be the dark age, singular, as it was the result of one major event, not a chain of major events spaced in time, each of which would be its own dark age.

Appointed Minister of Wysterian Architecture

PostPosted: August 4th, 2015, 3:08 pm 
King

i agree with Biakko's point.
also the point that we name it the "Dark Age" non non plural. someone else will have to sort it out if you want it sorted. I'm on the Wi-Fi at the airport right now so can't do my usual work. Arjen you're up.

PostPosted: August 4th, 2015, 6:56 pm 
Duke

The Dark Age, there was only one of them. We can save the Dark Ages in case Atryl and Arjen decide to start killing everyone...

PostPosted: August 4th, 2015, 7:11 pm 
King

Felandris wrote:
The Dark Age, there was only one of them. We can save the Dark Ages in case Atryl and Arjen decide to start killing everyone...

Best tread lightly Felandris, I'm only one bad day away from complete insanity! :ugeek:

of River's End