All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: May 17th, 2016, 1:51 am 

As follows is the letter written to the Monastery of the Order of St. Creopbaina in the Imperial Capital by Brother Mark Stefan in the Year of the Emperor 493.

I have arrived at the monastery in Arnum in the Grand Duchy of Casadia. I am most impressed with the state of the monastery here, as the site is far larger than most monasteries I’ve visited - the only larger I have seen is the monastery in the capital. Not many repairs are needed, other than perhaps some trimming of vines and repairs to the paths.

As we feared, the last senior monk here spent more time drinking and sleeping than instructing the junior brothers. Very little progress has been made in the effort to study the various ancient texts they’ve managed to discover among the families that settled in Casadia. They have indeed amassed the largest collection of books in Östronish I’ve ever seen, as well as a sizable collection of books in various other Mercurian dialects and languages.

The most fascinating thing I’ve found are original books detailing the trade deals and histories of the residents of the Mercurian Wastes - most of it written in the old Dwarvish language! It’s exactly what we hoped to find, and it really is unfortunate that the monks here haven’t taken more time to translate the various tomes in this great library. A few have tried, but their Dwarvish is quite poor.

A few local Casadians from nearby towns study here, as it was established as a sort of university. Our monks instruct classes in agriculture, brewing, Östronish, the Casadian language, history, and metalwork. There is a great level of coordination with the villagers to educate the population of this and nearby counties in these subjects. Classes are often instructed in the sanctum when the monk’s mass is not being held. Many villagers attend the weekly mass - this has warmed my spirits more so than their wonderful beer.

The Casadians are a curious folk. As you know, I spent my entire life on the Imperial Isle, a place free from war and mostly free from the monsters of the wild parts of Hermertia. This is not the case here out on the frontier of Casadia, and the people of this Duchy are disciplined warriors. I’ve never see this quality of armor or weapons, both of which I was provided a set of by the Duke of Casadia himself. Casadians are very generous people, and nothing has been a better example than how my people, the Östron, have been welcomed over the past few generations in their land. They’ve made our people feel free to continue our customs, they’ve shared their customs, and both peoples enjoy much merrymaking and friendship together.

Finally, I must inform you that the people of Arnum have long made the Senior Monk here the Thane of the town. I’m not sure how we did not know this all these years. I have accepted this position with great reservation, however, I believe this to be a great opportunity for our people. Long have our people sought favor with the nobles of the Empire. This is perhaps a great chance for one of us to finally be given a noble position, and unite the Östron, solving the ludicrous Östron question. The Östron of Casadia are quite unlike those in Kaine and Perth - they have a desire for unity of our people. In summary, I want you to know that I will be open to the challenges and rewards that come my way. My first challenge seems to be the daughter of a local dairy farmer…

Yours in Sanct Creopbaina,

Brother Mark Stefan

PostPosted: May 17th, 2016, 2:16 am 
Duke

The Östrons have consistently awed the Casadians with their hard work. Arnum is quickly becoming the jewel of the east. The Council of Elders has been keeping a close eye on the the dutiful labors of the Östrons and it is becoming quite evident that the Östron people are deserving of a noble position.

PostPosted: May 17th, 2016, 11:24 am 
King

Although the practice of these monasteries is foreign to the Aethen, it can be appreciated how well it serves as a method for uniting a county. Creeperism isn't practiced, however it is not proscribed. These brewing methods may be investigated by some of the more forward of our people.

(Farmers daughter you say? )

PostPosted: May 17th, 2016, 3:39 pm 

Samyrrah Almandine wrote:

(Farmers daughter you say? )

What can I say, her milk churns bring me to her yard...

PostPosted: June 16th, 2016, 9:52 pm 
Duke

These older images of Arnum are very interesting. Having visited the city recently, I enjoy seeing how it has evolved over time.