All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: A Messenger in the Night
PostPosted: December 1st, 2015, 9:21 pm 
Duke

The fires in the chamber of the high council had been reduced to mere embers, yet the chamber remained full. It was but one of many long nights endured of late. The grim faces of the council were masked in shadow as the flames sputtered. Arkelai sat at the end of a long stone table, listening intently to Solvar, the new commander of the Slayer’s Guild, address the council.

“The Endermen continue to grow more aggressive. They have yet to be so audacious as to attack a settlement, but they have made it nearly impossible to travel the roads at night. I have sent Slayers to reinforce the garrisons of our settlements, but I have too few men to patrol the roads. The Guild is stretched thin. Too thin. If I recalled my men from Reinen…”

“No.” Arkelai said bluntly, “the Guild must not show indifference to such matters. Your men will stay.”

“If I may?” Meloa rose from her chair, “I can spare a dozen men from the garrison here in Secara, maybe a few more. The river provides us adequate protection from the monsters of the night.”

“Very well.” Arkelai nodded, “Send whatever men you can spare to the Guild.”

“Thank you, m’lady.” Solvar returned to his seat.

“What news from Kai-“ Arkelai was interrupted as a messenger burst through the large oak doors at the end of the hall, clutching a scroll in her hands.

“Sirs, news from Perth. It is urgent.”

Arkelai beckoned to the messenger and read the scroll slowly. Even in the dim light, Arkelai recognized the scrawling handwriting of his brother, Verenai. He had sent his brother as Casadia’s representative to the wedding at Strathceard. It was not a Guardian’s place to waste time with such trifles. Arkelai read the scroll slowly, and then again. He stood slowly and walked towards one of the fires, letting the scroll fall from his grasp into the flames.

“King Scrios of Perth is dead.” Arkelai announced solemnly, “They found Liserett mourning over the body. The king’s son believe she is responsible for his death and has called for a trial.”

The chamber went quiet, save for the low crackling of the fires. Meloa was the first to break the silence.

“This could mean war. The warriors of Perth will not take the death of their king lightly.”

“A Pyrencian prince, two duchesses, and now a king? The high lords and ladies of the empire are dropping like flies.” Commented one of the elders.

“You should double your personal guard, m’ lord.” Advised another.

Arkelai sat down but remained silent, his mind filling with questions. The chattering in the chamber tapered off, the council now waiting for the Guardian to speak.

“One of ours is with the boy, yes?” Arkelai finally spoke, turning to Meloa.

“Yes, Katea is with the boy. She may be a midwife, but she is not unfamiliar with the sword. She can keep the boy safe.”

“Good.” Arkelai turned to Solvar now, “I want your Slayers in Wysteria to keep an eye on the boy. I will not let a child become a casualty of this chaos.”

“I will send word, my lord.” Solvar stood and departed from the chamber.

“What of the lady Liserett?” asked one of the elders.

“It is a curious thing to murder one’s husband-to-be, especially when he is one of the most powerful men in the empire. There is more to this than meets the eye. I shall ride for Strathceard at once.”

PostPosted: February 27th, 2016, 5:55 pm 
King

I wonder what, if any, further repercussions have occurred since that fateful day in Casasia.

PostPosted: February 27th, 2016, 7:13 pm 
Duke

Take another look at Liserett's lore for the answer you seek.