All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: August 14th, 2015, 9:14 pm 
Count

I noticed that often, when lore is posted, some replies are made with the assumption that the content of the lore is now well known thorough the Empire.

Don't get me wrong, replies and discussions are awesome, I love them, yet I wonder if perhaps we should pay further attention to player knowledge versus character knowledge. While it is likely that word of mouth and rumors spread information related to major events, the contents of private sealed letters, discussions held behind closed doors or mundane events occurring on the opposite side of Hermertia shouldn't, I think, be commented on in character.

What of comments in the Scholars and Mystics section, do you prefer only in character responses, out of character responses or a mix of them? I know I often refrain from commenting because I have nothing to contribute in character.

In the same line of thought, I would like to stress the distinction between character ambition and player ambition, which may or may not become relevant in the future. If a character is ambitious, it doesn't mean that the player shares the ambition, be it for a title or other.

Thoughts?

Appointed Minister of Wysterian Architecture

PostPosted: August 14th, 2015, 10:01 pm 
King

We sort of touched on this a little bit with the Community Guidelines post a wee while ago.

I do get a little bit worried when I see posts that are out of character in the Imperial Court, or similar level stuff. I dont have set rules per se, But I will be in character for a number of types of posts. Its food for thought certainly.
Youre right in saying that perhaps there are a number of posts that shouldnt be in character, but for me, Imperial Court or official business should always be in character.

PostPosted: August 14th, 2015, 10:07 pm 
Count

I was more referring to lore posts actually. I agree that, as it was discussed a few weeks ago, threads should remain on topic, I just find that sometimes, replies assume that the whole empire knows what happens behind closed doors, in sealed letters or in private journals.

One of the reasons I bring this up is that, as an example, my character isn't a role model on all levels and it might get worse in the future. Not all their actions of thoughts are public knowledge even though a fair share of them might be reflected in the lore. Some lore is posted for coherence, artistic purpose or just to share with other players, not as a sort of Hermertian newsletter.

Does that make any sense?

PostPosted: August 14th, 2015, 11:07 pm 
King

In terms of lore, I treat any posts that explicitly deal with character lore as if I myself am hearing them in-character; reading your newest dispatch (continues to be some great work, by the way), I realized a bit sadly that I do not know the full extent of your feelings. We remain in close communication, of course, but the our towns are a good ride apart and I'm not privy to scenes in your pantry, for example.

In other areas of the Scholars and Mystics forums, I'm not in character; i.e when someone posts pictures of a new build just to share it with the community.

Minister for Applications and Settlement
Forums Administrator

PostPosted: August 14th, 2015, 11:19 pm 
Count

I realize that you are not alone in that several posts are treated a bit in a newsletter to Hermertia way.

I am wondering however if we should keep it this way, or if I should add a clear mention to my lore posts specifying whether their content is widely known, incomplete rumors or unknown.

I like some intrigue and, by definition, it means that all the lore will not be known to all characters. But it would suck to keep it all to myself and not share.

I think it's just a matter of being aware this type of metagaming can occur?

PostPosted: August 14th, 2015, 11:33 pm 
King

That makes sense, we could put a disclaimer at the start, or perhaps a giudelines post on whether or not whatever lore you're posting is knowable by everyone else or if its like private missives between people etc. I.e. to prevent meta-knowledge

PostPosted: August 14th, 2015, 11:37 pm 
Count

!!!!!META-KNOWLEDGE ALERT!!!!!

o.O

PostPosted: August 15th, 2015, 12:07 am 
Count

Biakko, I completely understand your point. With the exception of "Off Topic " I try to remain in character in all forums, but I don't go and assume that my character knows all the information that I have read here.

I think everyone should be knowledgeable and aware of what they verses what their character knows.

PostPosted: August 15th, 2015, 10:40 am 
Duke

I agree with Biakko, some lore we write here is appropriate for characters to hear and know about, other lore is just for each of us players to know about and it's important to maintain the difference between them