All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: July 26th, 2016, 5:16 am 

The Chairman wrote:
I'm not sure about this. On the one hand, I think leaving these spaces empty until the Kings (maybe) return to fill them is not a great option, but on the other, this is unprecedented. The Council does have the power to dissolve kingdoms, but only with every active and inactive King's approval and dissolution is different than affecting their claimed areas. I also get the sense that if these Kings return, they will be none to pleased about what has been done. Finally, I don't see this as necessary considering how much land still remains free in New Hermertia and the size of the two duchies that would benefit immediately from this. Despite being one of the smallest independent duchies, the GRHH still has room for me to build for years without making new claims, so I don't understand why these duchies, which are much larger, need more room.

I've addressed all of your points a few posts above.

This has nothing to do with their neighbors, but potential new players - especially 2-3 months after our next advertising campaign.

PostPosted: July 26th, 2016, 7:50 am 
Duke

I agree with the Chairman and Gimpy on this one. There is plenty of room for new players to settle in our world near existing nether lines if they so desired, and it is not as if building your own nether lines after becoming independent is a huge deterrent to playing. As for the two duchies that stand to gain from this, they still have plenty of room for development within their current territory. Furthermore, they knew that space would be tight when they chose those locations. Both had the option to settle in a less crowded area, yet did not take that route. To be quite frank, this entire thing seems like an excuse for a land grab by Dawnstar.

The only way that I would support this would be if the Kings of Isilioth and Khabranth gave their public approval. Otherwise, their lands should remain untouched.

PostPosted: July 26th, 2016, 8:00 am 

Haedren wrote:
I agree with the Chairman and Gimpy on this one. There is plenty of room for new players to settle in our world near existing nether lines if they so desired, and it is not as if building your own nether lines after becoming independent is a huge deterrent to playing. As for the two duchies that stand to gain from this, they still have plenty of room for development within their current territory. Furthermore, they knew that space would be tight when they chose those locations. Both had the option to settle in a less crowded area, yet did not take that route. To be quite frank, this entire thing seems like an excuse for a land grab by Dawnstar.

The only way that I would support this would be if the Kings of Isilioth and Khabranth gave their public approval. Otherwise, their lands should remain untouched.

How are you twisting this into the two nearby duchies? I've already clarified that fact that this has nothing to do with land-grabbing. Your insult towards Dawnstar is not needed here. This is something many of us have been talking about for weeks and are posting about publicly to begin the discussion. Several of us talked about posting this, but Sam volunteered to handle it. He didn't even make the maps - I made one and Siden made the other after careful observation of their existing builds.

Good luck talking to people who haven't shown up in years! Why didn't the empire give lands to Xin and the Bone Kingdom when they came to the new world? They had only been inactive for 1-2 years at the time. That's the point here, these two kingdoms aren't responding. They obviously don't care.

Where's this land you mention that is close to multiple other active players? It's all in the east. Why not try to help fill in the huge empty areas in the center of our map and help grow the server?

PostPosted: July 26th, 2016, 8:43 am 
Duke

I agree with Mark that such a move could help bring new energy to previously dead areas of our map.
There are huge tracts of unused land in Khabranth and Isilioth which could be put to use by players new and old. It does seem a shame to leave a huge portion of the centre of our empire as unusable to all others just because the map was carved up a bit too generously when it was first generated. Given that it has proved rather difficult to actually communicate with the inactive kings in question for such a long time, it is not unreasonable to conclude they have no intention of coming back, or at least to a degree that proper management of such large areas would be possible.

That being said, forcibly removing a land claim currently held by a king (Inactive or not) does sound rather extreme. I've said this elsewhere but I believe the move would be without precedent (Im aware Issac and Scrios gifted land to Reinen and Dawnstar last year but as far I've been told this was voluntarily surrendered to accommodate the new inhabitants).

I dont think the argument that new players might be put off if they have to setup land on the outskirts of the current empire and build their own nether lines holds much water. Anyone not prepared to put in the required work to overcome such difficulties isn't prepared for independence.

I'm all for re-evaluating the existing claim, providing proper scrutiny and a unanimous decision by the council is reached.

- Recipient of the Pyrencian Good Effort Award
- 2016 Winner of the 'Medal of S'alright'
- Stronger than an ant
- The Tallest

PostPosted: July 26th, 2016, 11:13 am 
Settler

Ave,

It's important to remember the shear scale of New hermertia the original lands of Isilioth could accommodate every single build in the whole of hermertia but they are instead wide open spaces - and as prior mentioned - in prime location. However I'm very uncomfortable with taking land from a king as for me, its disrespectful to their obvious contributions to the server (they would not have become a king unless they were a very valued player).

I don't want to echo the previous arguments but I'd mention Isilioth has already been reduced in size significantly and the proposed further reduction seems very substantial relative to the original size. I'm not sure about Khabranth as the map isn't too clear on what will be lost/kept.

So it seems to me, in isilioth's case atleast, I don't think the reduction should be so severe and no decision should be made without ample discussion.

PostPosted: July 26th, 2016, 4:16 pm 
King

This is to get the ball rolling on the discussion of this with the whole community, I should add, just as Mark and Siden have already mentioned.

The Chairman wrote:
so I don't understand why these duchies,
which are much larger, need more room.

If someone else had posted this, would you have still voiced that opinion?

Haedren wrote:
To be quite frank, this entire thing seems like an excuse for a land grab by Dawnstar.

Have I expressed a desire for more space? This is done with the sole intention of giving more space to new settlers or new Counts who wish to move to another populated area.

Haedren wrote:

This will be very difficult to attain.

Chairman wrote:
I also get the sense that if these Kings return, they will be none to pleased about what has been done.

They are smart and honourable enough people that they will understand this is done for the continued evolving endurance of the server. They are very welcome to claim more of it back IF they return and make use of it.

I'm not that much of a supervillain that I'd hatch a plan to steal all of Khabranth and Isilioth's space, come on guys. I have plenty to use already.

PostPosted: July 26th, 2016, 4:23 pm 
Duke

Not to say this is the only reason this is being done Sam but would you not wish to claim some of the land around you? I believe that Haedren made a fair point, you knew you'd be very squished in there, and have already reduced some of isilioths area. I know you aren't doing it just so you can have some more land, that's silly but I still don't think it needs to be done at this point.

It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out of your door, You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." -Bilbo Baggins

Duke of Kaine

PostPosted: July 26th, 2016, 4:25 pm 

Gimpy IV wrote:
Not to say this is the only reason this is being done Sam but would you not wish to claim some of the land around you? I believe that Haedren made a fair point, you knew you'd be very squished in there, and have already reduced some of isilioths area. I know you aren't doing it just so you can have some more land, that's silly but I still don't think it needs to be done at this point.

So it seems to me you could agree that this could happen at some point - at what point would you suggest their inactivity warrants this?

PostPosted: July 26th, 2016, 4:35 pm 
Duke

Their inactivity? Never. Our need for more land for people to settle would be the only time I'd say.

It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out of your door, You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." -Bilbo Baggins

Duke of Kaine

PostPosted: July 26th, 2016, 4:38 pm 

Gimpy IV wrote:
Their inactivity? Never. Our need for more land for people to settle would be the only time I'd say.

So we'd let empty kingdoms sit in the center portion of the map forever and force people to move to the outside ring? That doesn't make sense.

You are unwilling to consider any argument to change your mind, and to me that is untenable.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next