All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: The Ikwe problem
PostPosted: March 31st, 2016, 7:45 pm 
King

Greetings allies, I am wrapping my head around what to do about Ikwe. 3/4ths of the city is old fashioned legit, but the sprawling suburb is against the convention of the community. I have given myself two options, but wanted to reach out to the others.

1) I abandon it and give it to a new settler down the road. Which is fine except that the duchy around it is heavily developed/legitimately.
2) I could pay a heavy tax/levy, as determined by the community, like say x% of my collections for a few mercannum, until such time the community feels it covered the labour.
Bonus:
3) I guess I could also torch the city to the ground, or we can stage a lore battle.

OHH. OOOH. Lore battle. What if the locals who destroyed the economy have retained an almost feifdom/bandit like control over the city, and we need to fight them to take it back? If they win, the lore of the city is forever changed (autonomous bandit region under the crown, like those pesky scots to the english). teehee. Or if the alliance wins, they get routed out of the kingdom?

Any damage to the city in the mean time would be the 'payment' for past poor deeds?

------
As for the nether park, it can be verified that only 1/5th of the giant stretch of grass was handplaced, so a tax of something would probably suffice for this?

Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: The Ikwe problem
PostPosted: March 31st, 2016, 7:54 pm 
King

Ikwe itself is somewhat established as having been built using shady means of labor and having ended up as a troubled area, so I can certainly buy into the idea of a quasi-bandit control of the inner region that the Minervans from the Old World, finding it to be a more serious problem than expected, called on Imperial Forces to help out with.

As for the nether grass, I personally don't hold a grudge - it's always going to be a bit out of place, but it affects nobody and is almost never even seen. A tax is probably fine if we want to establish a sense of repayment to the community, but I wouldn't press it myself.

Minister for Applications and Settlement
Forums Administrator

PostPosted: March 31st, 2016, 8:09 pm 
Count

The Regent wrote:
Any damage to the city in the mean time would be the 'payment' for past poor deeds?

I know some people have quite a few stacks of TNT in store, careful with what it is that you propose!

Appointed Minister of Wysterian Architecture

PostPosted: March 31st, 2016, 8:23 pm 
Count

Nicholas, I have to disagree "again". ^^
Since I live in the area, where the nether grass is located. it is a sore for the eye. I don't know what we should do about it. But it most certaintly doesn't look great.

Either we remove it, or we plant Trees and stuff. Would be open for suggestions if someone has an even better idea. If we come to a conclusion I'll help tidying up the area, since it is in my intrest aswell.

PostPosted: March 31st, 2016, 8:32 pm 
King

why dont you two just get a room already

-The Hydra
For a full list of titles, please see enclosed document.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=741

PostPosted: March 31st, 2016, 8:36 pm 
King

Question: Is it possible to dip into world edit again and just replace the grass with netherack? I've never used the software, but would it be worth at least considering this?

That was my bad, Roglar; I don't live in the area and never see it unless actively looking from the nether lines. I concede the point, and so I ask again; why not just "undo" the whole thing with WorldEdit? It would hardly be contravening the spirit of the community, being used to undo what it did before.

If not, a park or something would be a nice idea. Minerva could provide a good share of the material needed to transform the area into a Nether Nature Preserve - an oddity of nature in the hellscape.

Forums Administrator

PostPosted: March 31st, 2016, 9:09 pm 
Settler

3) would be my preferred option as it Lore-ifys the issue & it would be a good community event. I don't think a tax would really solve anything as Ikwe has already been constructed so and arbitrary amount of labor would seem like a spiteful punishment to me.

As for the nether grass, I have no problem with it & if some have a issue with it's appearance I think the planting of trees and grass could solve it. I'm very much against more world edit to solve previous world edit as I find it against what I think a vanilla server should be.

PostPosted: March 31st, 2016, 9:23 pm 
King

Let's fight. Fight. Fight. Fight.

-The Hydra
For a full list of titles, please see enclosed document.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=741

PostPosted: March 31st, 2016, 9:26 pm 
King

Fair point Caesar.

I find myself liking the idea of a nature preserve, actually. Some of our best achievements in Hermertia are to transform in-game actions into lore, so why not this as well. Plus it would be a unique project - a "miracle of nature", as it were, for a swath of grass to have taken root in the nether. A communal effort to establish it as an area, funded largely through Minervan support in materials, would end up a fun and interesting solution.

(I realize I'm flipping wildly here, but great points are being made ;) )

Forums Administrator

PostPosted: March 31st, 2016, 9:45 pm 
King

FYI: "or we plant Trees and stuff."

This was the intention. I was still hand-building passage ways down to it, as well as a fencing system, which needs to be properly fixed. I would spend a few mercannum on it until it's a legitimate netherpark, and the only sketchy part about it would have been the foundations. When all is said and done, especially on ghast-proofing it, the majority of the effort would have been legitimate.