All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: June 19th, 2015, 7:56 am 
King

Greetings! After talking with my King Arjen he has graciously allowed Merry and I to step out from under him and settle our own independent Duchy in an unclaimed area, under the Council of the Crowned.

By moving out from under the Kingdom of Ertia, we would maintain our ranks as Duke and Count, respectively; we would remain duke and count of our holdings in Ertia, but would also work to establish a new Duchy under the Council.

To this end, I contact the Council with the hope of securing permission to found the Duchy of Laval - and possibly expand its borders in the future - here:

This location has been carefull selected in order to allow us to remain relatively central to Imperial activity at the Imperial City while also enabling me to maintain strong ties with Ertia, and, most importantly, to allow for plenty of breathing room and room for expansion between Laval and its only relative neighbor, Count Aered.

Here is a more detailed map of the region outlining tentative counties and plans for construction. Apologies for my general lack of paint skills and for leaving the amidst icons on:

An explanation of the labels:

County #1 - Limoge: This county will include the Duchy capital, the city of Gallen. It will be a large port with docks, markets, many houses, and industry in the form of the beacon mines, an industrial technique brought to the new land from Goldcrest.

County #2 - Bernen: This county will be the region's militia hub, with a fort that, strategically placed on the peninsula, will overlook trade passing through the tentatively-named Emerald Sea. It will also include barracks and docks.

County #3 - [Unnamed]: This region has been tentatively layed out as Merry's county, but that may very well change as he decides what region he will prefer. In any case, a third county will be Merry's most likely including a smaller, possibly agricultural village or town.

These are our plans! I look forward to community of review of them, as we are eager to get construction underway! Thanks all.

Minister for Applications and Settlement
Forums Administrator

PostPosted: June 19th, 2015, 8:14 am 
Duke

AH This is awesome! Everyone's moving out! You have my full support and when I get back if you need any help I'm more than willing (though you'll probably get enough from others) Good luck, friend!

"Music in the soul can be heard by the universe" ~Lao Tzu

PostPosted: June 19th, 2015, 12:17 pm 
King

Let me know when you need a hand with the Nether lines. I'm always keen to assist.

Very excited to see how things turn out. This will be a Grand Adventure for you and your loyal vassal Count Merry.

Grand adventures await your people. Best of luck from Perth!

PostPosted: June 19th, 2015, 6:31 pm 
King

You would have my full support to become a Duchy under the Council of the Crown for the proposed areas. If further future expansion is required please provide us with a similar request. I love the detail.

PostPosted: June 19th, 2015, 6:55 pm 
King

Of course you have my full support, Nick. We've been Ertian buds for many generations now and I'd never stop you from heading out to start your own realm! However, I just want to remind you that, I believe, the Indoles Carta states that once a land owner leaves a Kingdom, duchy, county, etc. they forfeit their claims to their lands. I just wanted to lay this out, because if you are truly set on leaving I would like to start the process of transferring you and Merry's lands to Svanhild.

of River's End

PostPosted: June 19th, 2015, 7:07 pm 
King

Hmmm you may be right about this Arjen.

PostPosted: June 19th, 2015, 9:02 pm 
King

I admit I have no memory of the relevant passage in the Indoles Carta, but I don't dispute your memory of it and it certainly makes sense; I have no intention of retaining authority over Laborate once I have left Ertia. My only concern is Merry and I marinating our ranks as Duke and Count; I feel we should remain at those ranks as a reflection of the work we've done and not be demoted until we build equivalent holdings under the Council. Does that make sense?

Minister for Applications and Settlement
Forums Administrator

PostPosted: June 19th, 2015, 10:00 pm 
Duke

That makes sense to me. Once a duke, always a duke (or better).

PostPosted: June 19th, 2015, 10:19 pm 
Duke

As I told Arjen he is wrong. He is not allowed to take your holdings from you until you are of equal or greater rank then he.

It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out of your door, You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." -Bilbo Baggins

Duke of Kaine

PostPosted: June 19th, 2015, 10:44 pm 
Duke

As a Duke would maintain his rank after leaving a kingdom, he would not maintain the land he lived on. That land belongs to the King. Though a King allows vassals to inhabit his lands, they don't own it. Once they decide to leave the kingdom they leave their lands behind as well because it is the property of the King. The King can technically kick out a vassal whenever he pleases because that vassal doesn't own the land. When Robert banished SkeletalArcher, Skeletal did not keep the land he lived on because it belonged to the Kingdom of Isilioth. This was a measure created so that vassals would be discouraged to leave kingdoms. I thought it was fairly well established that when you leave a kingdom you no longer have control over the lands within the King's boarder.