All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: The Jump to 1.14
PostPosted: December 11th, 2018, 8:07 am 
Duke

I've decided that we are going to update the server to 1.14 as soon as it comes out. Forge and other essential mods are not quite ready but we will be waiting forever if we continue to wait for ideal update conditions. We will role with the punches and take whatever is available to us at the release of 1.14.

On top of that, due to the drastic changes in 1.13 and 1.14, we will be opening up a new section of the map to explore. How we will handle this and what exactly will be done is still being discussed as we can not be certain what to do until the full update is released. Suggestions are welcome as there are many unknowns as of yet.

Hopefully this will revitalize a bit of interest in the community, including myself. I have been craving a bit of Minecraft recently.

Post subject: Re: The Jump to 1.14
PostPosted: December 11th, 2018, 4:20 pm 
Settler

I for one, welcome our new 1.14 overlords.
Looking forward to it!

PostPosted: December 12th, 2018, 5:09 am 
King

My thoughts:

- Hub Area similar to Concordia 2.0.
- Smaller focussed area of building together (might mean small biomes if possible).
- Painted in special terrain like mountains in certain areas.
- For us to come together and build together like we used to in the Old World and in Concordia several summers ago.
- Enclaves for each of our respective Realms to be settled extremely close by to each other so as to promote community driven building and cooperation.

Any more ideas post em here!

PostPosted: December 14th, 2018, 9:14 pm 
Duke

I agree with Sam on having a Concordia-style co-build at the beginning. Not only would it get people more involved in the server, but it would also be great for advertising pushes.

I think we should start with a smaller world centered around that starting area and gradually expand it as we need room (like what we did with the old world). That way people aren't scattered across the map, thousands of blocks from each other. I think this would encourage inter-realm cooperation.

PostPosted: December 16th, 2018, 1:18 am 
King

Agreed wholeheartedly with the most esteemed Chairman of the GRHH.

PostPosted: December 16th, 2018, 2:56 pm 
Settler

I like the sound of a smaller focussed area of building. Right now everywhere I've visited in the world feels like it's own separate place completely disconnected from everywhere else due to the absolute vast expanse between any one place and another.
Personally I like not only building a settlement/town/city/whatever, but I also really enjoy building roads and pathways between places, maybe expand out some rivers and tunnel through some hills to make waterways a viable method of getting around, putting things of interest between places to give people a reason to travel around the world.

I like our current fast travel system, and I think we should keep using that for traveling long distances, but right now in the world the only option to get to other places is fast travel.. See image below, which lists the distance between places in metres (in a straight line)

The only one that's really travellable is Shoreswood to the capital of Kaine, but I made sure to establish Shoreswood within walking distance of the capital of Kaine. Glas Claddach to Dunn might also be do-able, but it's a long way and the 3,434 metres listed above is straight line only. In reality a path would be much longer.

Having large biomes however can make it difficult to vary roads and paths enough to keep them interesting, whilst being in the same terrain for long periods of time.

I like the idea of more community building as well, starting around a central area and expanding out as more space is needed or Minecraft gets updated, although this is starting to sound scarily like a new map, rather than just opening up a new area in the current world.... and I understand there will probably be a lot of concern around losing all the work that has gone into the current world.

PostPosted: December 18th, 2018, 1:33 am 
Duke

Dont worry about losing the work, we have a connection to the OLD world of Hermertia which is in a separate world, its a plugin. But yeah lots of valid points.

It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out of your door, You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." -Bilbo Baggins

Duke of Kaine

PostPosted: December 21st, 2018, 9:14 pm 
Duke

We should also keep in mind that small biomes would mean small oceans, and that could potentially make establishing fast travel lines harder (though if we're trying to be closer this may not matter that much).