All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: March 20th, 2017, 9:14 pm 
Duke

Hey all,

I was thinking the dip in activity over the past mercannum presents an interesting opportunity for some worldbuilding. I was thinking something along the lines of a great plague that spread throughout the empire in the years after the Östron civil war. Soldiers returning from the war could have brought the plague back to their respective realms, leading to an extended period of economic strife and isolationism as a result. I could write a more detailed lore account of it if we wanted to move forward with this idea.

Let me know what you all think!

PostPosted: March 20th, 2017, 10:03 pm 
King

A good explaination, trying to think of something else that might explain it, something more fantastical or ominous perhaps. I don't know how far or how much more interesting it needs to be but I'll have a think about it. However at the moment I know it's the strongest choice to explain things.

PostPosted: March 21st, 2017, 12:56 am 
Settler

I really like the plague idea!

PostPosted: March 21st, 2017, 1:25 am 
Count

"The famine times" could be a name for this moment of hermertian history.

"Our great empire suffered a great population loss because the plague. Nobody knew what it was, but everybody knew that it was mortal. In the great population centers people started to die like flies over a fire, and when the news arrived to more isolated regions, people knew they have to close their borders in order to save their lives. During these times strangers were scorned In every town, village and basically any place a person lived there was an aura of distrust and fear..."

could be a really nice way to start a new time period in the server a la renaissance. Brighter days, and new technology, ways of thinking, etc.

CASADIA STRONK

PostPosted: March 21st, 2017, 2:07 am 
King

I actually do like this idea. It can be symbolic in nature and also be used to explain the loss of the mass amounts of population. Seems to be fitting!

PostPosted: March 21st, 2017, 2:49 am 
King

Could have travelled across the seas via shipping routes. Survivors of the plague wanting to isolate and repel further plague bearing hosts. Travellers being turned away etc.
I like it so far

PostPosted: March 21st, 2017, 3:01 am 
Duke

I'll take a crack at writing an imperial historical account of the plague tomorrow and then run it by you guys. I definitely like what we've got started here.

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2017, 8:48 pm 
Duke

[The following is the official Imperial account of the ‘Great Plague’ composed by Casadian historian Ardren in collaboration with scholars and healers throughout the empire.]

The first accounts of the great plague originate in the realm of Ӧstlond (then Ӧstlaed) during the year 539 A.I. After a particularly harsh winter that left many Ӧstrons malnourished and weak, an unnamed illness spread throughout the realm. Symptoms associate with the plague include coughing, fatigue, and eventually open sores on the skin. Many perished to the plague, including the leader of Ӧstlaed Mark Accynafon I. Though prevalent throughout Ӧstlaed, the plague did not spread to a significant extent beyond the borders of the realm.

Reported instances of the plague were minimal in the following five years, but this would change abruptly with the beginning of the Ӧstron civil war. With war leading to greater intermingling of people throughout the realm and reduced harvests leading to widespread malnourishment, cases of the plague began to be reported again in the winter of 545 A.I.. The volume of incidents would increase steadily throughout the course of the war, though it never reached epidemic levels. With the conclusion of the war in 547 A.I., it was thought that the plague would fade once more.

With large numbers of soldiers returning to their homelands after fighting in Ӧstlond, the plague had a new vector through which to spread. Incidents of plague were reported throughout the empire, most notably in realms that were heavily involved in the fighting. The realms of Pyrencia, Ӧstlond, and Isilioth were the hardest hit, eventually leading to a temporary cessation of trade with these realms. The lack of trade and widespread death from the plague lead to a sharp economic decline throughout the empire that lasted until 554 A.I..

Casualty estimates vary, but it is thought that the plague claimed at least one hundred thousand victims. Rates of infection varied from total exception to twenty percent or higher in the hardest hit areas. Survival rates varied from realm to realm, but it is thought that the plague approximately killed half of those that fell ill.

---

What do you guys think of this description? It is certainly open for adjustment/tweaking.

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2017, 6:43 am 
Count

I like it, we should develop it from several perspectives to make it more realistic, more or less like "world war z" (the book, not the movie)
excerpt from Irulan Indoril's diary, Guardian of Avatarati. year 550 A.I

We thought that with the Ostron civil war finally finished it was time for prosperity, for trading and expanding into new horizons. But life enjoys frustating our plans. At first it was merely rumors coming from distant lands: A misterious illment which destroyed the will of even the strongest of warriors. We thought it was only rumors of those affected by the war, but then it started to hit.

First it was Secara: People started to get sick and everybody showed the same symptoms. Luckily the quarantine was established in Voltau before it was spread to the eastern reaches of Casadia. When people started to show symptoms in two rivers I took a decision: isolate Avatarati from the world, save what little we have built over the years in these lands and hope that the stock resources were enough until the outside world was finally cured.

Although we were not completely safe, those who went to war started to show the symptoms of this "plague" this monstruosity that was taking over the world. I didn't hesitate nor I felt guilty for my decision: Expel those who were sick or else... well, i will just say Avatarati didn't fall to the plague. But it fall to fear, and anguish.

I just hope there's a cure somewhere, today some priests from Arnum monastery passed by the town, they were making the journey to the imperial city and join other scholars to discuss about this plague.

CASADIA STRONK

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2017, 6:48 pm 
King

I'll make a similar post for dawnstar