All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
  Offline
PostPosted: August 6th, 2016, 6:17 pm 
User avatar
Duke

Joined: May 30th, 2015, 6:01 pm
Posts: 1303
Location: Michigan, USA
Mark, I did some edits on the numbers, so could you take a look at it again? I wasn't sure if that comment was made before or after my edits. I am also working on the formula for it to get it to match those numbers. I will post about it in a bit after a few more people chime in with their thoughts.

_________________
Guardian of Casadia
Master of the Slayers Guild
Minister of Hermertian History


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
  Offline
PostPosted: August 6th, 2016, 6:24 pm 
User avatar

Joined: April 28th, 2016, 6:15 pm
Posts: 2001
Location: California
Haedren wrote:
Mark, I did some edits on the numbers, so could you take a look at it again? I wasn't sure if that comment was made before or after my edits. I am also working on the formula for it to get it to match those numbers. I will post about it in a bit after a few more people chime in with their thoughts.


I don't think I even saw the before numbers, so yes, the current ones I think are fantastic. Your work is much appreciated on this!

_________________
Ealdorman Cerdic Beoden Accynnafon of Östlond
Runner Up of the Glas Claddach Boat Building Competition
Minister of Justice


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
  Offline
PostPosted: August 6th, 2016, 7:04 pm 
Count

Joined: August 29th, 2015, 6:38 pm
Posts: 143
Location: Kentucky
While I do think you're general settlement sizes are quite admirable, you're building size system is a bit, as Mark put it, subjective.

Mark and I had the same idea in regards to how to assign points to a building. You would take total area and how many stories it has in order to find the score of the building.

Obviously these numbers will need to be adjusted as this is just a crude mock-up but something along the lines of:

3x3 and below - 1 point
6x6 and below - 2 points
9x9 and below - 3 points
(Note: Not all sizes are listed)

1 story - 0 points added
2 stories - 1 point added
3 stories - 2 points added
(Note: Not all stories are listed)

Of course, the area of the additional levels counts towards the total area of the building.

_________________
Feisty Emperor Of All Things


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
  Offline
PostPosted: August 6th, 2016, 7:28 pm 
User avatar
King

Joined: May 31st, 2015, 3:32 am
Posts: 810
I will be honest I have not had a chance to fully look over the scale system. I could be way out of line on this comment but rather than base it on the stories alone does it not relate to the building type as well? For instance, a regular home, regardless of the stories/size is meant for a family and just because it has 3 stories let's say it doesn't meant that it would increase the population size significantly. An apartment building, on the other hand, would increase the population size if it was larger as it would allow for more to be accommodated within it.

Anyways if this has already been addressed then disregard my comments!

_________________
Scrios V
King of Perth, Brother of Valyria


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
  Offline
PostPosted: August 8th, 2016, 2:42 am 
User avatar
King

Joined: May 30th, 2015, 1:05 am
Posts: 472
Location: Wisconsin, USA
Scrios IV wrote:
I will be honest I have not had a chance to fully look over the scale system. I could be way out of line on this comment but rather than base it on the stories alone does it not relate to the building type as well? For instance, a regular home, regardless of the stories/size is meant for a family and just because it has 3 stories let's say it doesn't meant that it would increase the population size significantly. An apartment building, on the other hand, would increase the population size if it was larger as it would allow for more to be accommodated within it.

Anyways if this has already been addressed then disregard my comments!

This is a great point, Scrios. However, I wonder at what point do we start getting a bit too nitty gritty? I am all for making numbers as accurate as possible, but it might complicate the process a bit too much.

_________________
King Arjen V

King of Ertia


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
  Offline
PostPosted: August 8th, 2016, 2:44 am 
User avatar

Joined: April 28th, 2016, 6:15 pm
Posts: 2001
Location: California
King Arjen IV wrote:
Scrios IV wrote:
I will be honest I have not had a chance to fully look over the scale system. I could be way out of line on this comment but rather than base it on the stories alone does it not relate to the building type as well? For instance, a regular home, regardless of the stories/size is meant for a family and just because it has 3 stories let's say it doesn't meant that it would increase the population size significantly. An apartment building, on the other hand, would increase the population size if it was larger as it would allow for more to be accommodated within it.

Anyways if this has already been addressed then disregard my comments!

This is a great point, Scrios. However, I wonder at what point do we start getting a bit too nitty gritty? I am all for making numbers as accurate as possible, but it might complicate the process a bit too much.


None of this is legal or a bill, it's just a lore thing for fun.

_________________
Ealdorman Cerdic Beoden Accynnafon of Östlond
Runner Up of the Glas Claddach Boat Building Competition
Minister of Justice


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
  Offline
PostPosted: August 8th, 2016, 3:30 am 
User avatar
Duke

Joined: June 1st, 2015, 12:47 am
Posts: 700
1. Small realms: >10,000 Medium realms: ~30,000 Large Realms: 100,000+

2. Village: 4,000 and below, Town: 10,000-30,000, City: 30,000-100,000, Metropolis 100,000+

3. I think that the total number of buildings should have a significant effect, considering that the size of buildings does not mean that more or less people live in them, but rather that richer or poorer people do. Building number better indicates population. However, building size should not be disregarded as larger buildings have the capacity to hold more people even if they do not necessarily do so.

4. I don't think larger buildings should have too much weight for the reasons I have stated above. I think small = 1, medium = 2, large = 4, and extra large = 6 is good.

_________________
Ulrik Gunnarson
Duke of the Gathered Races of Hermertia Homeland (GRHH)
The Chairman of the GRHH Co.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
  Offline
PostPosted: August 8th, 2016, 3:42 am 
User avatar

Joined: April 28th, 2016, 6:15 pm
Posts: 2001
Location: California
Only 4-5 towns in all of Europe were around the 100k mark in the year 1600 or so. Rome, Constantinople, Amsterdam. A few others were kind of close, but it was quite rare obviously. I'd imagine that only the largest of places on the server would reach 100k - Mt. Empire hopefully some day, but no others I've visited seem to have the vibe of a town of 100k. Dunn, when it's done? Sure. Amora? Possibly. I still wouldn't call just one city a metropolis, that to me means City + lots of towns and villages next to it or in close proximity to it.

_________________
Ealdorman Cerdic Beoden Accynnafon of Östlond
Runner Up of the Glas Claddach Boat Building Competition
Minister of Justice


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
  Offline
PostPosted: August 8th, 2016, 4:09 am 
User avatar
Duke

Joined: June 1st, 2015, 12:47 am
Posts: 700
Mark Stefan wrote:
Only 4-5 towns in all of Europe were around the 100k mark in the year 1600 or so. Rome, Constantinople, Amsterdam. A few others were kind of close, but it was quite rare obviously. I'd imagine that only the largest of places on the server would reach 100k - Mt. Empire hopefully some day, but no others I've visited seem to have the vibe of a town of 100k. Dunn, when it's done? Sure. Amora? Possibly. I still wouldn't call just one city a metropolis, that to me means City + lots of towns and villages next to it or in close proximity to it.


We aren't using Europe exclusively as our basis for these calculations, we are also looking at other parts of the world, like the Far East and pre-Columbian North America. In addition, I don't think our world is nor should be perfectly analogous to the real world.

Also, "metropolis" is being used here (at least by me) in a colloquial manner to mean "a really big city", not in the technical way.

_________________
Ulrik Gunnarson
Duke of the Gathered Races of Hermertia Homeland (GRHH)
The Chairman of the GRHH Co.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
  Offline
PostPosted: August 8th, 2016, 4:56 am 
User avatar

Joined: April 28th, 2016, 6:15 pm
Posts: 2001
Location: California
The Chairman wrote:
Also, "metropolis" is being used here (at least by me) in a colloquial manner to mean "a really big city", not in the technical way.


That's just bad use of it. If it's a huge city with no outlying villages, it's just a huge city. There's no reason to use a word inaccurately.

_________________
Ealdorman Cerdic Beoden Accynnafon of Östlond
Runner Up of the Glas Claddach Boat Building Competition
Minister of Justice


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Imperium - Modified by Rey phpbbmodrey