All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: July 11th, 2016, 4:21 pm 
King

Right lads and ladies, we have a big topic to discuss.
This is a pretty interesting topic and has the potential to be a rather interesting one to talk about.

Old world exodus to the New World: How did we get from the Old World to the New, which Routes, What alternate terrain/oceans are beyond our current map borders? How did Concordia appear and how did we travel from the West side of the world to East without stopping along the way?

Pretty big questions there right? Right.

Here is a map of what I think may have occurred.
This is super rough and a terrible representation, im not an artist!
The area outside of the old world would be considered a veritable maze of waterways, dead ends, an generally a pain to navigate. As such the route to the Corridor Lands and Concordia's location would be obfuscated by such navigational hazards and hamperings.

Potential Explanation 1:
It could be said that the red line shown was found first and brave ocean-faring crews undertook a voyage of incredible fortitude and mapped the outer regions (Which are clearly mountainous from the outside, also not finalised in that mock-up picture). They happened across a vast Delta which led into the broad area, and eventually came across the future Imperial Isle location. This news was transported back and charts were made. The more direct route to Concordia from the Old World was still obscured by the vast array of other channels and routes for now, until a good number of Mercannums later.

There are additional inlets and outlets into the Mercurian Empire, with one being found at the Western End of the Minervan Sea, another South of Pyrencia's Sea of Ashes, and the Sea of Reflection in Gallen via river and coast line. Thoughts?

PostPosted: July 11th, 2016, 7:12 pm 
King

Fantastic theory! I wonder if there are confirming or disconfirming theories abound? It makes a lot of sense to be frank.

(Note: I will send a rendering of the old world to get a sense of its shape and size compared to the new world (it's actually a lot smaller than the new world, so it should fit in nicely to our overall geography).. also, anyone with cartographic and geographic skill to clean up Samyrrah's model to make it 'make sense' geographically speaking? An archipelago surrounded by water is certainly reasonable!

Also, we can probably 'chop out' lots of the 'land' we hypothosize exists in our own new world to make it look more archipelago shaped. That is, unlike painting mountains (which we only did for the top left), it is MUCH easier to paint in water/oceans. If anyone gives any of this a go, I will work on world-painting our oceans in (or anyone else can if they wanted).)

Just some ideas. Fantstic work Samyrrah for getting this important topic going.

PostPosted: July 11th, 2016, 7:14 pm 
King

e.g., we could always remove the land north of Kabranth and make the kabranth ocean to ertia a connection to the larger oceans? That could also offer an alternative theory for reaching imperial isle?

PostPosted: July 11th, 2016, 7:22 pm 
King

Here is a simple mock up that I compiled based on some loose theories from some old texts hiding away in Mercury Isle. By no means are these geographical or conclusive, so like Sam started, all alternative theories are a great service to our thoughts!

This hypthosis allows for an explanation of the peoples and lands that have come from outside of the New and Old world.

PostPosted: July 11th, 2016, 7:22 pm 
King

I will follow up with a much more accurate old world map for a reference soon :)

PostPosted: July 11th, 2016, 7:28 pm 
King

Oops. forgot that of course this map should leave open the realization that there must have been other channels between old world and corridorlands, which as modern theories suggest, have shifted due to recent geological activity. So, some blue 'channels' should be added between the two lands opening up different historical transit routes.

It is also worth realizing the mountains surround the old world are HUGE (just like the new world concordia), meaning concordia is still the most likely 'most efficient' entrance into the great valleys that were the old world. The protected valleys of the old world might also explain its precedent as the rise of many civilizations following the Cycle of the Snake.

PostPosted: July 11th, 2016, 8:09 pm 

That map is really good Reginald, I like that a lot

PostPosted: July 12th, 2016, 2:31 am 
Duke

If we assume a lot of the landmasses outside the New and Old Worlds are similarly arranged as they are in the New World (i.e., small seas with interlinking rivers), but inhospitable, then it would make sense for navigators to arrive in the New World via a roundabout path, as they would probably have wanted to avoid portage as much as possible. Later, with further exploration of the inhospitable regions, a more efficient path could have been found. This period of exploration could also explain the around 72 year gap between the Great Exile and the settlement of Coton. This way, we don't have to do any special worldpainting to make our lore make sense.

PostPosted: July 12th, 2016, 7:49 am 
King

Agreed Chairman, the only problem with this hypothesis is that many seem to want big oceans, especially to the south-east from what I gather. I am with you, not all worlds NEED to be 70% water (like lore off, earth), so what made Hermertia different (thanks to the generation built into the game), is that we are indeed a large land planet with interconnected inland seas. I agree with this theory personally, but again, many want oceans instead. What does the rest of the community think?

PostPosted: July 12th, 2016, 1:33 pm 
King

The Oceans allow for more flexible lore travelling and trading and everything that entails.
I am a huge proponent of always allowing more options, not fewer, for our players to work with regarding lore. Perhaps including a few near-land bridges that could be traversed by walking or only needing a tiny boat to travel across to allow for more, less sailing inclined people to have arrived. Probably dont need such a caveat but for diversity, it could be included.

I am also in agreement that the world doesn't need to be 70% water like perhaps other planets are said to be like. Our world could indeed be wildly different on the other side of the globe, who knows until brave cartographers make that trip, We can focus on making a map for Hermertia that suits our preferences, and not worry about the constitution too much.