All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: June 17th, 2015, 10:05 pm 
Duke

And I don't agree Aurrenis I think the magic works perfectly fine, plus with slave labour people will make it a negative thing against Regent which I would like to avoid.

It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out of your door, You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." -Bilbo Baggins

Duke of Kaine

PostPosted: June 17th, 2015, 10:10 pm 
King

I am going to say I am against the idea of using magic to this extent to explain the occurrences. Whatever is decided to explain the events should not involve magic as it was not referred to before and should remain that way. Atryl is right, the community was against this idea in the past and to maintain our lore perspectives, in my opinion, we should keep it that way.

Although I am not hear to bash the Regent I would say we are free to develop whatever explanation we want as no trial or clear explanation was provided. If there had been before "the departure" then we wouldn't be debating this. That is all I will say.

PostPosted: June 17th, 2015, 10:13 pm 
Duke

I see both slavery and the use of black magic as a negative thing, at least from a lore perspective. I am not saying that we pick the slavery option because of how some of us feel about him, but rather because it fits the situation well and is easily incorporated into our current lore. I am not against the magical, but if we use that as the explanation I think we should formally classify the use of world-edit, duping, etc. as black magic in our lore system.

PostPosted: June 17th, 2015, 10:17 pm 
Duke

Whatever the decision is I would like it made without reference to the Regents character if you take my meaning.

It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out of your door, You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." -Bilbo Baggins

Duke of Kaine

PostPosted: June 17th, 2015, 10:21 pm 
Duke

Aurrenis has a point. If we use magic to explain the acts the the Regent committed, then other events such as those stated would also be rewritten from a magic standpoint. Slavery is something that easily fits into our pre-established lore and doesn't require the conjuration of abilities that were unheard of in any way, shape, of form beforehand.

PostPosted: June 17th, 2015, 11:14 pm 
King

Slavery was (and perhaps still is in parts of the world) a reality for thousands of years in our own world's history. There may be a slight negative connotation towards it, but its not as though black magic doesn't also have a bad stigma. While the Regent was a great guy when he was still with us, he did end up committing a crime in eyes of our world. Most of us would still like to see him come back and pick up where he left off, and I don't think that us lorifying what was done is a "knock against his personal character." It explains something that was done in game without using magic and having to go back and re write parts of our lore that would also be classified as "magic" if we'd go this route.

of River's End

PostPosted: June 17th, 2015, 11:23 pm 
King

I would also prefer the slavery explanation. While individual cultures in our land have varied rates of belief in magic in our world, the collective of our society we shouldn't use it for lore that affects the entire server. Perhaps we could say in the lore that the people who were being used as slaves for the mass construction were brought up in isolation and taught to believe that their overseers had occult powers, a sort of mass hypnosis/indoctrination, and that might have gone on for a while until some of the officials started to believe it as well. or something. That way preserving part of the reason we were given afterwards, while still giving it an explanation we can use in our actual lore

-The Hydra
For a full list of titles, please see enclosed document.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=741

PostPosted: June 17th, 2015, 11:37 pm 
Duke

What Vorestaed said. That is a really cool idea that does cover both of the spectrums. I really like that.

PostPosted: June 17th, 2015, 11:45 pm 
Duke

My concern is that Celestine has already used slavery as a negative connotation with the Regent and that seems to me like it will likely stick that way. However as my voice is but one do as you please.

Duke of Kaine

PostPosted: June 18th, 2015, 12:07 am 
Duke

Then ignore what I said and write it off as a personal grudge.

"Music in the soul can be heard by the universe" ~Lao Tzu