All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: June 17th, 2015, 2:21 pm 
Settler

Hail friends,

I would like to start a discussion/clarification on what the Lore-fate of Ikwe will be. We now know that large potions of it were copy/pasted and created against the server's long time ethic of vanilla-survival creation. Given this was a large contributing factor to The Regent's departure, what shall be the lore for this event?

For me, out of respect for Cody I feel we should somewhat reflect what he suggested in our agreed Lore. I think it should be known as 'a deeply-cursed and barren land where occult magic led to widespread corruption and death with the city being frozen in time.'

This way I think it reflects Cody's initial statement of Dark Magical/Occult experiments (as I remember I think this was his position) but also it explains how development stagnated (as in frozen in time) but the floating/copied areas reflect the corruption.

I this statement is echoed I will happily flesh it out and create a full post on the fate of Ikwe.

Also I think it is important to outline whether the illegal actions (world edit etc.) were the result of a rogue official (if not the regent himself) or a systematic widespread corruption.

PostPosted: June 17th, 2015, 2:40 pm 
King

This seems like a pretty good way of dealing with the whole fracas.
Adds a rather interesting and non-boring historical account of the actions that were undertaken.
Much like the crisis at Bela Akvario and other old world incidents, this will be another landmark moment for the history books, and its up to us to make it suitably interesting.

It is quite fun thinking up such lore and history for real world actions and how they translate, isnt it? I have no alternative ideas for what to do.
I'd like to hear what everyone else thinks as well :)

PostPosted: June 17th, 2015, 3:30 pm 
Duke

I like the idea of the city being abandoned due to the presence of dark magic. From a lore perspective, I think the use of dark magic would have to be systemic within the Minervan court, as it would better explain the collapse of the kingdom. A kingdom could well recover from isolated use of dark magic by a rogue official, but the widespread abuse of such magic by members of the court would be more likely to create the conditions for a collapse.

PostPosted: June 17th, 2015, 8:57 pm 
Duke

Personally I don't like the use of "magic" to explain what happened in the area. It is true that there are magical elements in our world, but nothing near the point of being able to conjure cities and change the worlds landscape. Also, The Regent was just using the excuse "its magic!" as an uncreative way to cover the acts he did. Before he threw us all under the bus, he himself said that he highly disliked the idea of using magic to describe any major events that happened in the world.

Shortly after the events there was a general consensus among some of the community that it would be shown that he was abusing slave labor in Ikwe and that is how he was able to create a city so large so quickly. After he was found out, he fled to the wilderness and no one saw him again.

Just my opinion though, it is a community decision in the end.

PostPosted: June 17th, 2015, 9:17 pm 
Duke

I'm in agreement with Atryl really. Slaves make more sense in this case and with how he's acted about all this why not paint him to be at least a little like an asshole lore wise. Magic hasn't really been a thing while I've been on Hermertia so I just don't see the magic element to the story going well.

"Music in the soul can be heard by the universe" ~Lao Tzu

PostPosted: June 17th, 2015, 9:48 pm 
Duke

Okay I'm kind of sick of all of yours disrespect for the Regent. Here's where I say something, I get it. He fucked up, he did and honestly the way he acted after the whole thing is also kind of sad and annoying sure. HOWEVER, he was also an amazing guy before all of this, let's not forget that without him NONE of us would be here. None of us would be friends and still playing together becoming even better friends. I'm sick of the disrespect you all throw to the man who brought us together and kept it good for so long. I'm gonna be honest I've cheated on other servers in the past when I was just so tired of doing things the old fashioned ways, it was wrong. But what I'm saying is we all succumb to temptation. So please. Lay off the guy.

It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out of your door, You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." -Bilbo Baggins

Duke of Kaine

PostPosted: June 17th, 2015, 10:00 pm 
Duke

Er more recent shit. There's no reason he has to act the way that he has been acting. And it has nothing to do with the server either. Yeah he's done a lot for the server but that's no excuse for being an ass and extremely inappropriate to people who are really nothing but polite to him.

"Music in the soul can be heard by the universe" ~Lao Tzu

PostPosted: June 17th, 2015, 10:03 pm 
Duke

Let's just put the whole Regent mess in the past. If we do not want to go the magic route, then I think slave labor would make the most sense lore-wise. It gives a sufficient reason for his departure, as well as explains how things were built so quickly.

PostPosted: June 17th, 2015, 10:04 pm 
Duke

Except you guys weren't polite. There were times when you guys weren't, plus he's been nothing but polite to me, so I don't see why he'd be different. And you're making this about the server by saying the slave labour would show how much of an ass he has been.

It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out of your door, You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." -Bilbo Baggins

Duke of Kaine

PostPosted: June 17th, 2015, 10:05 pm 
King

I do have to agree with Gimpy here: Regent was and still is a great guy who handled so much of the server and its upkeep, then got caught when he made a mistake. He was so much a part of Hermertia that the community was rocked to the core when he left, and found it easy to get annoyed and upset at him. But we should all remember the man as the guy who brought most of us together; loreify his departure definitely, but it isn't fair for us to paint him as an asshole simply based on our annoyance towards him. I for one would be glad to see him return one day, as slim as that prospect may be.

Minister for Applications and Settlement
Forums Administrator