All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: June 18th, 2015, 12:15 am 
Settler

I support Vorstaed's suggestion in combining the occult with slave-labour used for construction in Ikwe this way we maintain a absence of 'hard' magic (e.g. world edit etc) in server Lore.

As the last indication of The Regent's wishes for the Lore of the area (to my knowledge) included mention of the Occult I think we should include that given his immense contribution to Hermertia.

However I think there is still some loose ends here:
- With The Regents departure Ikwe is left (and probably will be left for sometime) an empty and stagnant area.
- Slave labour doesn't quite reflect the blatant cookie-cutter copies of whole areas and bizzare construction (as in doors that go to nowhere, planes of dirt on already open ground, falling gravel/sand as soon as blocks are activated etc)
- Are these illegal actions the result of one man (The Regent) or the widespread Minervan hierarchy. This one is especially important to myself as I am a serf of Minerva closest to Ikwe and the resulting lore-wise illegality would affect Minerva as a Kingdom.

To reform my original statement how does 'due to economic growth in the east racing ahead of the west rogue officials in Minerva began to look for ways to catch up. Elements of The Church of Minerva began to operate convents with a goal of a 'Minervan Revival' however these convents turned into extremist breeding grounds with elements of Occultish worship. Members were used as slaves to construct buildings for the glory of Minerva, with little expertise and a trance like state buildings were constructed with little planning with every available space being exploited. Officials in Ikwe at first turned a blind eye to the actions of the Minervan Revival but soon became complicit in their running turning the city into a mess of buildings constructed on inappropriate ground. When this was stopped and the widespread delirium was broken Ikwe became taboo in the minds of much of the worlds populous and was swiftly abandoned and left as a stark reminder of dark times' serve to describe the situation in Ikwe?

I tried to cover all the points in the statement above, if it sounds good it can be written out as a better narrative for the wiki.

PostPosted: June 18th, 2015, 1:00 am 
Duke

If I may put in my 2 cents?

I like this story Caesar has written. It is a good representation of Vorstaed's idea which is a good one; to combine slave labour with the illusion of occult magic. The same has probably happened many times in real life history, so it makes sense.

The scientist in me wants the details to the indoctrination of the slaves to be centered around their thought processes, which could have been altered by drugs used to manipulate and control them, possibly also leading to the discovery of such slavery, if the side effects also led some to aggressive behavior? Or even if the drug was administered unintentionally, through local flora or even inhaled from a gas leak in the mines? Although the gas would have affected everyone involved, not just the slaves...
If the local flora were behind this, this would also help to explain the first and second of Caesar's loose ends, why the area was left, and probably will be left, for some time, and why the construction was so erratic.

Caesar's concern over the details as to whether it was Regent or the courtiers who were behind this plan is a valid one, and as much as I agree with Gimpy that we should not slander any real person's character, I feel Caesar and the other Minervans are in the best position to answer this, as they will be the ones who have the face the political connotations surrounding Minerva based on the answer to that question.
This opinion I think is valid, though I would as it is mine. The reason being that I didn't know Regent. I knew him about as well as I know any of you, except Samaia. I have no strong feelings toward him, so my opinion, I like to think, is impartial to him as a person. It makes sense for the lore, and I think Caesar can do a really good job writing it.

PostPosted: June 18th, 2015, 1:24 am 
Duke

Caesar's lore explanation looks like a good compromise to me.

PostPosted: June 18th, 2015, 2:06 am 
King

I would agree with that too. Thank you Felandris for a detailed explanation as well! You also raise some good points that should be considered as well.

PostPosted: June 18th, 2015, 3:13 am 
Duke

Felandris wrote:
If I may put in my 2 cents?

I like this story Caesar has written. It is a good representation of Vorstaed's idea which is a good one; to combine slave labour with the illusion of occult magic. The same has probably happened many times in real life history, so it makes sense.

The scientist in me wants the details to the indoctrination of the slaves to be centered around their thought processes, which could have been altered by drugs used to manipulate and control them, possibly also leading to the discovery of such slavery, if the side effects also led some to aggressive behavior? Or even if the drug was administered unintentionally, through local flora or even inhaled from a gas leak in the mines? Although the gas would have affected everyone involved, not just the slaves...

If the local flora were behind this, this would also help to explain the first and second of Caesar's loose ends, why the area was left, and probably will be left, for some time, and why the construction was so erratic.

As a potential alternative:

Slavery based on indoctrination without the use of drugs is possible, as shown in the case of Mauritania, a country where slavery is de jure illegal but still practiced widely. One of the issues with abolishing slavery there is that individuals raised as slaves from birth come to view themselves as undeserving of liberty and less than their masters. It is possible that slaves could be controlled in this manner in the Minervan case.

Also, if the buildings were constructed rapidly and with little planning by the "Minervan Revival" as Ceasar suggested, then it is possible that they were built speculatively but ultimately never inhabited, possibly due to people having qualms about living in homes built by slave labor.

PostPosted: June 18th, 2015, 11:13 am 
King

Excellent points made by all so far.
My points to put forth:
- Caesar's explanation combining Vorstaed's thoughts is good.
- We should probs stop slagging Reginald in person.
- Caesar has my backing to write a passage for the library and await approval from everyone, which it will no doubt get.

also Felandris rockin' and shockin' on the forums. Good lad.