All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: The Vulcite Encounters
PostPosted: August 10th, 2016, 4:42 am 
Duke

YoE 507 A.I.

Darius entered the Vahnic Village Office Building with a particular idea on his mind: avoid a direct answer. His Captain, Thomas Zahare had made a startling discovery, a new group of elves in the south that were very different from their Aethen counterparts.

"Evening, Captain Zahare."

"Honorable Protector, Lord Darius, I extend a formal hello to you." responded Zahare in the most formal and polite manner possible. "Permission for-"

"Yes, yes; permission granted to talk in layman's terms."

Stroking his growing grey beard, Zahare spoke: "Thank you sir. As you know a recent mission has established informal contact and the obvious discovery of a new group of elves who style themselves as the Vulcites of the Vulca Region. Our vessel was accompanied by a cultural officer who described the elves as 'Southern Dry Elves', incredibly different from the northern snow elves."

"Yes, it seems so. How did the encounter go? Any injuries?" responded Darius.

"Our ship dispatched a few smaller boats to land on the shores, but we were quickly intercepted by a band of Vulcites on board their own boats approaching us." Zahare continued with a sigh, "The conversation was peaceful until one of them flashed a small knife to their leader after yelling something in their elven tongue; Distinguished Explorer Lila Ura broke command and fired a shot from her bow, it killed no one, but it did hit their boat. They demanded we hand her over or they kill us all."

"Well, what happened Captain? Don't leave me in suspense."

Zahare with a heavy look in his eyes said "We handed her over." Looking away Zahare continued, "They told us to bring our leader for a formal negotiation for Miss Ura."

"Who is this Miss Ura? Give me details on her: Family, age, etcetera." responded Darius with a worried look on his aging face.

"A twenty three year old from a wealthy family who live in Concordia. She loved a commoner who was a sailor stationed in port and was caught with him in some not so responsible acts. Her family disowned her and severed her from the will, so she moved across the world to Laghima where she enlisted in the company. She was happily engaged to a Karsite named Erdo Asar, and their wedding was supposed to be last week."

"Tragic. Truly tragic." with a heavy sigh and the wipe of an eye Darius said, "Notify the Naval Register to prepare another ship for you, my son, and I. We are going to the Vulca Regions"

YoE 508 A.I.

Darius and Thomas Zahare arrived in the Vulcite Region with a much more impressive welcoming party than last time: trained archers from strategic spots accompanied by several swordsman in full armor were watching the whole scene unfold. In a not so great show of power, Darius, his son Howard, and Zahare met their welcoming party on the illustrious shores of Vulca.

A male Vulcite approached the party with two guards at his side, "Humans, Mercurians, welcome. We elves have not seen one of you since we arrived in these lands in over 400 years ago." with a forced smile on his face, he continued: "I am Alec Ihaa, husband of Lady Theodora Ihaa, leader of these lands. Who might you gentlemen be?"

"I am Darius Stark, leader of the closest realm and Protector of the company that met you initially." taking a quick break, Darius introduced his own party: "This is my heir and first born son, Howard Stark. The man to my right is Captain Thomas Zahare, you may recognize him from your initial encounter with my company."

"Very well, Lady Theodora will be pleased I hope. Follow me."

Alec Ihaa, the first Southern Dry Elf to formally speak to a Mercurian was an odd man, he seemed to be in constant fear of Darius and his party, constantly whispering to his guards in his tongue, which happened to be known simply as Vulcite. None the less, he was a good host considering the reputation native elves have, and his Common Mercurian was very well.

"Lord Darius, honorable Howard Stark, and sir Zahare, I present to you my wife, our blessed ruler, Lady Theodora Ihaa, The last bastion of the Elven nobility from the times of Yore." said Alec in an official voice.

"Thank you dear husband, now leave my presence." her voice was feminine, as one would expect, but it carried a bit of heaviness that describes a seasoned and experienced ruler. "You must be the Lord of Laghima, Darius. Welcome to Vulca."

"Thank you my lady. It is my pleasure to present my eldest son and heir, Howard Stark. Accompanying us is one of my men, Captain Thomas Zahare, who was in charge of Miss Ura during the, er, incident." with a small grin on his face, "But come, before we settle into the sadder aspects of this meeting, let us establish formal communications."

"I agree sir. I have ruled these lands, named Vulca, for several years now. I inherited the throne from my feeble father at the young age of seventeen and have ruled well into my fifties. I can see you have done so to." with her own grin now on her face, she continued "Good sirs Darius and Howard, I would like to present to you my own children. Come, children."

Entering the room were two of the most beautiful women the company had ever laid eyes on, and a little child no older than Howard's son.

"This is Sappho and Alda. Sappho is my heir, and heir to the dynasty of the elves. The little one is Talia, the eventual ruler of these lands one day after her mother." now looking at Darius and Howard, Theodora continued: "I see a look in both of your eyes, what do you see in Talia?"

"Nothing good Lady, I myself have my own child at the same age as her. Remarkable seeing the little ones." responded Howard

"Ah yes, I am in agreement. What is his name?" responded Sappho

"Darius, named after his grandfather of course."

"Indeed, the children are our future." said Theodora, "Let us continue in the important matters however. Your realm of Laghima is our closest neighbor and only source of information to this Empire of Man-"

"Mercurian Empire, Lady Theodora. The Empire respects all races and people." interrupted Darius.

"Yes, Mercurian Empire. Since Laghima is our closet neighbor, we would like you to open formal relations with Vulca as an imperial state, and in turn we will do the same."

"You're asking to be recognized as an imperial realm. It takes years to be recognized, I would know since I lead one of the most recent states to be recognized. Even if I agreed, I alone could not recognize you, it requires the Council of the Crowned's approval." replied Darius

"Interesting. Until we are recognized formally by someone, we refuse to turn over Miss Ura." she said with a sigh, "You and your family are permitted to visit whenever you want. Just your family though. Goodbye gentlemen."

Darius and his company were sent away back to their vessel and they arrived in Laghima and a few weeks later. The company was still confused about the whole ordeal and the true motives behind it all:

"Father, are you going to return as per her wishes?" asked Howard "Perhaps we should bring young Darius along, she showed some interest in him."

"Yes, we will leave again soon and that is not a bad idea, young Darius does need to see the world. Though as always our main priority is retrieving Miss Ura. In whatever way possible."

Protector of the Vahnic Exploration Company
Ilkhan of Greater Karastan-Laghima

PostPosted: August 10th, 2016, 4:48 am 
Duke

YoE 509 A.I.

Returning back to Vulca without Captain Zahare, the three Stark males entered the land and went straight to Lady Theodora:

"Lady Theodora, it is an honor to be in your lands again." said Darius "This is my grandson, and as we mentioned last time, his name is also Darius."

"Ah yes, quite a handsome lad like his grandfather." Theodora said, "Howard, why don't you go and talk to my Sappho and Talia with your son, they are down the hall to the right."

"I think that is a great idea, Lady Theodora. I shall be on my way." replied Howard

"Just you and I Darius." said Theodora as she left her throne made of wood, "You seem tired, would you like to rest?"

"No no, I came here to discuss the fate of Miss Ura." said Darius, slowly backing away from the advancing Theodora, "I must see her to confirm she is safe, and then perhaps we can negotiate for imperial recognition."

"Good Count-"

"Good Duke, thank you very much."

"Ah, a promotion, how nice. Anyways, surely you remember my husband, Alec?"

"Yes, what of him" responded Darius nervously

"He was apart of my solution to this whole ordeal." said Theodora, resting her hand on Darius' shoulder, "I had him and a few of my trusted scholars study your laws, and it was simple: You and I join lands. We benefit from being apart of the empire, you get Miss Ura back, and our people become interconnected."

"Very interesting, can I talk to him as well?" said Darius, "and how do you propose we 'join lands'."

"Of course, a marriage my handsome human."

"Marriage? You are married! I am married! We have our own families! That is an absurd suggestion." saying Darius, puffing up with anger, "This is no way to join our-"

"Silly, I have disposed of my husband so we could marry. Surely your wife does not matter in the grand scheme of things." replied Theodora

"My goodness. You killed him for a chance that I agree to this absurd plan? I must leave at once." said Darius as he turned to collect his children.

"Not so fast. I have Miss Ura, and your two descendants held hostage." said Theodora laughing, "You will be my new husband, or they all die."

"Nonsense, woman. The Imperial Coalition will destroy this place when they hear of hostile elves slaughtering imperial citizens." said Darius angrily.

" The Imperial Coalition will never be informed if you die here to. You'll just disappear off the radar, Laghima fading into obscurity once again." said Theodora, "I did not want to resort to threats, but I had my eye on you and your power when you set foot in my lands. I do have one suggestion if you disagree with our marriage though. Either way both of our lines benefit."

"Foul elf, you have me pinned. What is this suggestion?"

"Young Darius remains here and is educated in the elven ways." said Theodora with a pause, "And he will be betrothed to Talia Ihaa, joining our realms through their marriage."

"I would never let such a thing happen to my grandson. You will release all of my people at once."

"You will agree to my demands at once, or you all will die deaths silent to the empire." replied Theodora

Arriving back in Arah, Darius and Howard felt defeated despite acquiring Miss Ura safely. They had lost a member of the Laghiman Royal Family basically at sword point. Young Darius Stark, to remain with the elves, a horrible thought to many of the people of Laghima, which is exactly why it remained confidential to most. Lila Ura was returned back to her husband, but was stripped of all rank and privileges, her husband's government job was also revoked on personal orders from the Grand Duke himself.

"I cannot face my wife, Howard. Theodora commanded me to do things that violated our marriage. Your mother will be sent away to Sersa in her own home, with a luxurious sum of money, and divorce papers." wiping a tear from his eye Darius continued, "I am no man; I am simply a shell."

PostPosted: August 10th, 2016, 4:52 am 

Ostlaed pledges its support to eviscerate these disgusting elves.

PostPosted: August 10th, 2016, 4:27 pm 
King

Darius, while having strong reason to do so, has perhaps let his anger get the better of himself here, and has inflamed the situation to a point of no return.
Diplomacy first, war and killing is always a last resort.

PostPosted: August 10th, 2016, 4:44 pm 
Duke

Not sure if this is right but is this lore all public knowledge? Like have you sent out letters telling of this or is it just a story told by you for us to read outside of the lore realm?

It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out of your door, You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." -Bilbo Baggins

Duke of Kaine

PostPosted: September 11th, 2016, 7:41 pm 
Duke

After sorting through lost mail, a letter from Darius III was discovered:

EoT 465, E.N.

Dear Howard Stark of Laghima,

Life among the elves has been quite fascinating. I have learned so much more than
I would have under tutelage of my own kind: control of my emotions, responsibilities,
multiple languages, and more, so much more. On the topic of languages,
I am relatively fluent in Vulcite now as well, it's as if it was always my first tongue.
Onto more important matters, my marriage to Talia is scheduled soon and
I am quite sure it will go smoothly. Obviously you have been
forbidden from attending since you are not of the culture, but you should
know that I will write once again after the marriage. Though I do have
intentions of allowing you to visit once we are ready to have children in four years
as per custom. I look forward to then, father.

Darius Stark of Vulca.

-----------------------------------------
In response to the letter, Darius II had the following reply:

YoE 516 A.I., Cycle of the Tide

Son, it is good to hear from you. As that wicked Theodora has probably told you, your grandfather has been murdered, and I am the new Grand Duke. Naturally you are my heir, and I do hope you produce your own heir when you are able, but I warn you not to taint our proud lineage with elf blood. If you do, you will be the joke of the Starks and I will be forced to produce a new and better son.

I also warn you to leave Vulca as soon as possible: Those elves will be punished in the very near future for their actions. It would be an absolute shame if the Guard mistakes you for an elf, too.

Darius II of Laghima