All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: February 16th, 2017, 7:27 pm 

“Welcome, Thanes, Knights, and kin. It is my honor to call the Thanesmoot of the realm of Östlond to order. Ales will be poured for everyone! Please, have a seat.”

Ealdorman Cerdic Accynnafon opened the first Thanesmoot held in Acholm by the Östron realm of Östlond.

“We have finally achieved capture of this wonderful town. We are rebuilding using the great stores of materials produced during the war, but not traded due to the terrible break in trade. It will take perhaps 20 years to fully recover economically from this disaster. I hope that our new, more open relations of trade with the realms of the Mercurian Empire will result in a second great economic boom for our realm.”

The Thanes approved of these sentiments. Present were many Thanes that had declared allegiance to Mark II, but many more were new Thanes elevated to that position by their inhabitants who deposed their Thanes that were loyal to Mark II.

“We will shortly undertake the construction of a new docklands north of the monastery in the great bay. While we already have a great port, this port will have the ability to handle 20 times the volume of ships and goods.”

Immense applause from the Thanes, Knights, and Eorls. Missing of course were the masters of the Order.

“I wish to discuss two major topics today. Firstly, we must discuss what to do with the Order of Sanct Creopbaina. Secondly, we will discuss the sentiments of the Gelderlond Thanes, Thanes that largely operated independently during the course of this war. There appears to be an interest of these thanes to have more autonomy, and I am inclined to hear their proposals.”

A few grumbles, a few toasts with mugs of ale, but mostly chatter after these announcements.

“So, the Order. I believe it should certainly return to the progress my father made with letting it continue to convert into an Order for not just Östron creeperism, but Östron spiritualism. What say ye?”

Thanesmoot votes mostly worked on a verbal “yese” or “na.” The Thanes overwhelmingly voted “yese” here - Thanes that might have said “na” did not speak up. Cerdic noticed this. The names of those Thanes were written in his notes.

“I now submit to the Thanesmoot that the Order’s position of Grand Master be eliminated entirely. I have no wish to serve as it, and the Order did just fine without this position for many years.”

Almost entirely “yese.”

“Lastly, I wish to remove the Order from organizing staffing, building, and control of individual shrines and temples. I wish to give that power over to the local congregations.”

Enthusiastic “yese” all around.

“One last vote. Because this does not apply to the Dömboc, as the Order is no longer part of the government of our realm, we must create something that allows us to pass laws that are easily changed. This will tie into the discussion over Gelderlond. I propose that simple laws be called a “Thanessccipun.” These commands over the Order will be Thanessccipun I. What say ye?

“A surprised collection of Thanes saying “yese.” This had been discussed to an extent at the previous Thanesmoot, but most had simply forgotten. The war was more important.

PostPosted: February 16th, 2017, 8:00 pm 

After a short break, the Thanesmoot resumed. Other small items were discussed, but the conversation soon moved to the issue of Gelderlond.

“With the creation of Thanessccipun, I have a proposal to the Thanes and Eorl of Gelderlond. I propose that the shire of Gelderlond receive their own Thanesmoot, with the power to pass their own Thanessccipuns. If changes to the Dömboc are needed, the Thanes and nobles from the entire realm will be invited to an “ÆÞelmoot.” If either of the Thanesmoots vote in the early year to make a change to the Dömboc, an ÆÞelmoot will be held in the spring in Acholm.”

After an awkward silence, Cerdic said “ Well, discuss you drunkards!” and so discussion enseud.

After many hours and ales later, the body of Thanes agreed to this situation. Gelderlond, and any other part of the realm that might be more isolated from the capital, may receive their own Thanesmoots. A unified, nation wide ÆÞelmoot would take care of changes to the Dömboc. Also settled upon was a need for 60% of the ÆÞelmoot to approve of a change to the Dömboc for it to pass.

~oOo~

A new Dömboc was approved to include these measures. This would be the last time a Thanesmoot would make changes. In reality, this was a great move for the Thanes and lower nobles of the realm - the Ealdorman could not make changes so easily. Almost certainly the Thanes of the realm would never let the Ealdorman become as powerful and autocratic as Mark II again. Almost certainly Cerdic would never do such a thing, as a long time stalwart protector of the rights of Thanes. As the Östron civil war draws to a close, it is clear that the Thanes - the militant, secular, greedy Thanes - had finally removed the Order from power, and established a new rule more greatly influenced by nobles, knights, and wealthy merchants.