All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: February 8th, 2017, 3:19 am 

“Welcome, Thanes, Knights, and kin. It is my honor to call the first Thanesmoot of the realm of Östlond to order. Ales will be poured for everyone! Please, have a seat.”

Ealdorman Cerdic Accynnafon opened the first Thanesmoot of his new realm with a huge smile. Hosting this body of Thanes and Knights had been a dream of his for some time.

“I am greatly appreciative for the support you have given me in these dark times. It is through your power and grace that I stand here before you. We have much work to do on this day. Soon, we will march to war again and defeat the fanatical madman that is my brother!” Cerdic raised his mug of ale and many joined him in cheering.

“My friends - we must first agree on how these Thanesmoots should proceed. Under my father, the late Ealdorman Mark Accynnafon I, he most often respected the votes you made. He did not ignore the people. My brother took that from you - took that from us. No longer! No longer will we be ruled by fanatics, no longer will we be ruled at the whim of a mad-man. I will not hold Thanesmoot as a courtesy - I will hold it for your right to make decisions for the realm.” More cheers erupted, and many an ale were consumed in quick succession.

“We will write our own laws for the realm. I believe that we should start from the Dömboc of 527, and improve it as it could have been without the influence of the Order.” Cerdic paused for a moment, and in a softer voice continued, “Because I cannot force these laws on you, you must vote on them. Your vote gives it credibility. It is also my belief that the future votes of the Thanesmoot should also be binding. I wish to give our people the power over their future, their realm - with your accession, I would only act as a tiebreaker over the Thanesmoot.”

Before the Thanes could erupt into yet more cheering, Cerdic stood up and proclaimed, “I am but a Thane of Thanes; as a Thane is to his people, I shall be to this body. I will represent and protect your best interests.The time of the Östron Thanes has arrived.”

Now, the ale drinking really picked up. Several casks were quickly rolled out, and celebratory gallon sized clag mugs were used to consume enormous quantities of the magical elixir. This Thanesmoot had become a holiday feast celebration within minutes.

After the crowd settled somewhat ( and quite drunk!), they began writing the Dömboc of 545.

Major changes included :guaranteeing the right of the Thanesmoot to pass laws and orders for the realm, protecting Östron spirit worship, expanding the rights of foreigners, and oddly did not mention the Order of Sanct Creopbaina at all.

At the end of a long day, and well into the night, a very drunk Cerdic stumbled trying to stand up. Rhiannon, his wife, steadied him (despite being drunk herself!). WIth slightly slurred speech, he gave his final announcement:

“The Imperial forces are marching to Östlond. Within a few days, they will be here, and we will begin our offensive. The enemy is week. We will have victory!”