All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: February 3rd, 2017, 8:43 pm 

The news of Cerdic Accynnafon’s escape reached Acholm by the next evening. The Ealdorman was obviously furious - he couldn’t even execute the guards responsible, as they were already slayed by the retreating company and political prisoners from the Merscafen Mine prison. His anger, however, did result in the destruction of several clay mugs in his private tavern at the Östur.

~oOo~

Cerdic did not immediately return to Gourdham upon arriving in Wiccaweald. Rhiannon had arranged for him to recuperate in a small hamlet near the village. Soon, the heir to the Thaneship of Wiccaweald arrived with a great host of forces: archers from Wiccaweald, pikemen from Blaecwyrt, crossbowmen from Gourdham, Dwarves armed with battle-axes from Lam Zanor, and swordsmen from Gwyntoft.

“We cannot fight a pitched battle at this time. If we are caught here with so much of our forces, we will surely be destroyed. We should pull back. Does anyone know of a reaction from Acholm yet?” Cerdic said, wrapped in a thick wool blanket and drinking some fine Östron smoked ale.

The Thane of Wiccaweald, of House Iclingas, responded, “We have watches on the road. It appears forces have been sent from Acholm, Merscafen, Lynfirth, and the few loyal units in Wiccaweald to guard the roads. We are sure he knows you have escaped.”

Cerdic wiggled nervously in his seat. “We should set up ambush points to prevent them from even entering Wiccaweald with their scouts. Also, I need a pen and vellum.”

Cerdic began to pen several letters - one to the Imperial Court, one each to the leaders of nearby realms, and one to Mark II. His letter to Mark II read:

“Mark,

The actions you have taken against our people, our allies, and myself are beyond forgiveness.

I am declaring independence from you and your insanity.

I fully expect you to declare war on the people of our realms.

You should expect us to defend ourselves and those that are persecuted by your theocratic fascists.

Ealdorman Cerdic Accynnafon of Östlond. “

~oOo~

“Lydær, Cerdor, sent word to all of the Grötcnihten around the realm.” Mark was oddly calm after receiving Cerdic’s letter. “I want the forces from Frithengest to ensure Skovgaard is under our control. Send forces from Haligstrom to secure Blaecwyrt. Cerdor, you will lead a contingent from here directly to Wiccaweald. Our scouts are not coming back from that forest, and I fear they may side with Cerdic. We will burn down the forest if we have to.”

Mark began to pace around his office. He poured a large mug of Östron isgebier. At a strong 15%, he quickly became drunk. “Instruct the Östfleot to blockade Gourdham and the Groenesee. Keep the blockade on the north Imperial Sea. I want our southern fleet to bombard Secara, and try to prevent the Pyrencians and Casadians from taking the sea route.”

Lydær piped in, “What of South Ertia, Mark?” Mark stopped from his pacing to pour another mug of ale. “I’ll write a letter to King Christopher Arjen. A shipment of weapons, food, and advisors are arriving in Florae any day now. Their plan is to assault Roseaire, I believe, as well as activate whatever plan they have for Caekka. I hope we can use Caekka’s forces to invade Gelderlond from the North. Speaking of which, blockade Northubeorc as well.”

Cerdor spoke again “Wait a second, are you indicating you do not expect realms that signed Treaties of Understanding to uphold their agreements? Why attack Pyrencian ships?”

“Cerdor, recall what our informants said? Many of these realms were in contact with Cerdic. We may have miscalculated many of their intents. Fortunately we have a significant home advantage - all we have to do is raise the militia. We will outnumber any professional troops that the violators of these treaties send.” Mark poured another mug of ale, and finished his conversation with the twins:

“Send letters to the appropriate individuals and realms that we are declaring war on this rebellious Östlond, in addition to Casadia, the GRHH, North Ertia, Pyrencia, and any others that violate the Treaties of Understanding.”