All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: January 29th, 2017, 3:48 am 

The Meeting of Cerdic Accynnafon and King Erastil

Pyrencia has for a long time established operatives in many realms of the Mercurian Empire in order to provide the royal family of Pyrencia with fresh, local information on the economies and political situations in other realms. Östlaed was no exception, in particular because the importance of trade between the two realms.

King Erastil received more than just a message from the Ealdorman of Östlaed a few months back. His operatives indicated that Gröteorl Cerdic Accynnafon, the Ealdorman’s younger, but taller and more handsome brother, wished to speak with King Erastil before he met with the Ealdorman.

“Very well, if the Eorl of Gourdham wishes to meet, I will stop by on the way to Acholm..”

Gröteorl Cerdic had longed considered actions against his brother, however, he ignored his emotions fearing the destruction of his lands (Gourdshire and Entshire). His brother’s rule was not even an issue until the Judgement of Wiccaweald. With the death of the Thane, Cerdic sent scouts out to look for his children (including an adult son). Find them he did, and safely hid them in the depths of the Entweald near Gwyntoft. The oldest son of the Thane of Wiccaweald pledged his allegiance to Cerdic, and promised him the people of Wiccaweald would follow him should he chose to deal with the Ealdorman. Cerdic was reluctant to comment further, but this possibility - the second largest village in the realm, with the second largest number of able bodied men - meant that taking care of the Order and their fanatics was more of a possibility. If another town not under his rule will join him, would another realm? Not unless the Ealdorman did something drastic.

King Erastil arrived in Fuckham harbor in the spring of 543 aboard the majestic “Phoenix Talon” and a contingent of Pyrencian warships. Cerdic was waiting for him in the local Thane’s hall.

Cerdic welcomed him, saying “King Erastil, it is my honor to see you again. I am most glad to see you, old friend!”

“Yes, It has been too long, Cerdic.” replied Erastil.

Cerdic nervously made his initial request, “I wanted to request that you sign this Treaty of Understanding that Mark desires to sign with Pyrencia.”

“Ah, so you want me to concede to your brother’s political manipulation?”

Cerdic folded his arms “I do hope you understand what he’s trying to do here, or rather, what he will do if you sign this treaty.”

King Erastil was dumbfounded. Why did Cerdic call him here just to ask him this?

Cerdic continued talking: “Hear me out. He thinks that the treaties that he has signed with other realms carry weight - and perhaps they do. Many smaller realms certainly won’t renege on their agreements should he carryout his plan. He figures that the Halig Frecan - now over 15,000 strong, without militia - can easily defeat any nearby realms quickly. Wysteria is governed by peace-loving labourers who love money over anything else. The Snow Elves will stay in their snowy retreats mostly. Ertia has a pretender on the throne. The Valyrian forces are far smaller and so far away, it would take months for them to mobilize and back up the Casadians - the Casadians are the only real local threat of any kind. Laghima is unlikely to break their treaty with Östlaed as well, as many elements in Laghima might sympathize. Perhaps he is right - that he could carry out his plan successfully. He’s not accounting for everything, however.”

Erastil interjected, “I believe I understand what you are trying to provoke here Cerdic, but even though those unaccounted for elements are still technically mobilized, having just finished their own conflict, it would still take time for them to get here, and they would be unable to move until something actually occurred.”

Cerdic responded in a very animated fashion, not unlike a child in a candy shop, “Ah, but see! - I believe with the forces of my lands, Wiccaweald, Gelderlond, and the raiding thanes of the Östsee that I alone can cause him significant issues. With Imperial assistance, we can prevent him from waging a larger war and causing mass destabilization of the entire Mercurian Empire. Yes, it would take time for Pyrencia to mobilize, but I have already talked to King Tiber and Cerydon. Our numbers combined could handle this. However, both King Tiber and Cerydon refused to get involved unless the Ealdorman does something drastic. I believe the second phase of his plan is drastic enough.”

“Something drastic, hmm. Very well. I will sign this document. But if he does what I think he’s going to do, I will refuse to be bound by it.” Erastil seemed genuinely concerned about the validity of this plan.

Cerdic stroked his chin “Well, as I see it, if he leaves the Mercurian Empire… I do know that considering the attitude of the Order, and the perceived weakness of the Empire - let’s face it, they’ve done little to combat that these past few years - he will declare independence once you sign this. I have doubts that his plan of keeping all the realms he has signed agreements with at bay if the closest allies of the realm protest.

Erastil looked Cerdic in the eye, “If he does, many people, including myself around the empire would condemn him immediately. Unless I don’t…”

Cerdic interrupted with “If you don’t, many of these realms will not do a thing to oppose him. Frankly, most of the Kingdoms are so absent from Imperial politics that there at least should be 1-2 to immediately oppose him in the early moments of his campaign.

“You are right, I'll just have to move quickly once he does something.”

Cerdic continued to explain his strategy: “I would suggest sending forces immediately. We will be in most need of cavalry, as taking Frithengestshire will be impossible without cavalry to rival the famous mounted knights of Frithengest. I have begun discussions with the Thane of Grestanhlith in Acholm to make the taking of Acholm easier. My brother will likely retreat to Frithengest and wage a long guerilla war after that.”

“I'll do you one better than just cavalry, I will call for the Wande’serathrall. The best cavalry in all of Pyrencia, descendents all of the god of horses and the goddess of war. I’ll also call for a unit of the Serathrial, plus my normal soldiers,”

Cerdic was relieved, “Then we are in agreement. One last thing - I intend on making an appeal to the Imperial Court shortly. I assume you will support my claim?”

Erastil coughed, then cleared his throat, ”I will support your claim.”

Cerdic smiled. He concluded their discussion and began their merrymaking, asking “Care for an ale?” while pouring a large gallon mug of ale for himself.