All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Ertian Reflectivism
PostPosted: April 9th, 2016, 8:03 pm 
King

In regards to Religion, the Grand Duchy of Wysteria is nothing less that a turbulent melting pot – a smorgasbord of different religions, faiths, and beliefs, widespread and small, ancient and new, coming together to create a state with an almost unprecedented level of religious diversity. In the streets of Gallen, residents proudly live by the Duchy’s motto – In labour, as in all else, success through perspective – as evidenced by the diversity of religious groups present in the city. Above all, Wysteria is a nation of travellers and immigrants: whether Mercurian or Ertian, Maarsean or from even farther afield, Wysteria welcomes all and as such is forever made richer by the opportunity to learn from new ideas. It’s not oxymoronic to say that a powerful national identity has been formed around the basis of not having a specific, immutable identity.

Today, we examine the origin of Wysteria’s oldest system of beliefs – the one that came into the Grand Duchy when it was first established. Today we take a look at the mixture of beliefs that have created a religion Duke Nicholas as well as a good part of Wysteria employs to guide them. This is the commination of faiths known as Ertian Reflectivism.

The roots of the modern Wysterian state can be traced back hundreds of years. There is general agreement among historical and religious scholars that the mix of beliefs we term Ertian Reflectivism, coming primarily from a combination of Ertianism and Mystical Reflectivism, began with Adam Scrayven: the founder of Craikennais in the Old World’s New Ertia. Though Adam’s original writings have been largely lost to time and the Dark Age, his story survives. Born to Minervan parents on a small, windswept island in the Mercurian Wastes, he was raised to value to core principles of Mystical Reflectivism – an ancient system of beliefs as old as the Empire itself which value reflection on one’s inner self and one’s true purpose. Armed with this set of beliefs, Adam undertook his now historic Wayfarer’s Journey to Mercury Isle – for which he is now christened Adam the Wayfarer – and toured the Empire, broadening his perspectives before settling in New Ertia, the precursor to the current Kingdom of Ertia.

In Ertia, Adam developed a close friendship with the King of the land, that day’s Arjen – his eventual founding of the farming town of Craikennais is considered by most scholars to mark the beginning of a community that would make the voyage to the New World and eventually to what would become Wysteria. It was over decades in New Ertia, as Craikennais prospered and Adam became attuned with the way of life in the growing realm that the regional religion of Ertianism began to hold a place in his life and the lives of his people.

Ertianism is a religion whose true age is perhaps incalculable, though the scholars at the court of Arjen IV would likely argue the point. It is a system of beliefs centered on the mineral god Erts, a deity held in much regard by the ancestors of the Ertian peoples; a great civilization far to the north of Old Hermertia whose culture and history was wiped out in an ice age that forced them from their lands aeons ago. As Ertianism became an ever greater influence on Adam, the beliefs of the religion merged with his own values of Reflectivism to create a blend of the two religions that acknowledged a deity while placing emphasis on the individual’s ability and responsibility to reflect on themselves with the goal of improving themselves. The exact timeframe for this gradual emergence of Ertian Reflectivism is a point hotly debated by scholars; most everyone agrees that it was firmly established by the time Craikennain settlers left for the New World, but the point at which it evolved from complementary ideas to a distinct set of beliefs over the decades in Carikennais is unclear.

In the New World, Ertian Reflectivism was adopted by many settlers of the Duchy of Laborate in Ertia; as an Ertian duchy somewhat isolated from the capital the unique blend of beliefs grew into something of a regional identity. Today, Ertian Reflectivism is stronger than ever before, as it has found a great match with the goals of Wysterians: to learm from reflection of themselves and others. But the success of the beliefs of Ertian Reflectivism is the same reason why Wysteria will never have a state religion – the rewards of diversity are too precious to be done away with. We will forever remain a realm of hospitality, of hard work, and of learning through perspective.

------------

To my fellow Wysterians: feel free to use this space to share your thoughts on other religious beliefs and identities within Wysteria! I take great pride in the fact that Wysteria is home to such a diverse group of peoples, and you can all share your insights on the values of yourself or your communities much better than I could :)

Minister for Applications and Settlement
Forums Administrator

Post subject: Re: Ertian Reflectivism
PostPosted: April 10th, 2016, 11:59 am 
King

Few topics are as 'Mercurian' than this.

The religions of the Mercurian Empire have understandably varied, adding complex and grounding meaning for many peoples. Our lands are blessed by the philosophies and spiritualities of heroes, thinkers, leaders, and more of the past. Many have founded nations and peoples.

But in our desire to categorize and understand, if not, learn from these religions, we often forget about the way in which they influence each other. Ertian Reflectivism is a truly Mercurian religion because it is the product of a people, and of leaders, grounded deeply within the Empire's history. One can gain an appreciation for the complex interactions between thought system through a reading into these works.

Mystical Reflectivism is, as described above, as old as the Empire is itself, and encourages deep reflection. Some sects focus on internal reflection, while others encourage interaction with the various other religions of the land. With this as an inspiration, it is no surprise that the ancestors of Wysteria were driven to understand the systems around them in ancient Ertia. The combined outcome is a truly special thought system, and, as tasked by my own spiritual guidance, I am sworn to study under all religions who will share. There is much I can learn about my own past from this.

I was fortunate to spend my youth in the founding lands of Mystical Reflectivism, and through the founding lands of Ertia. I look forward to seeing how these thought systems have evolved or solidified in this vast new land, and how they have found their own pace in Wysteria.

Post subject: Re: Ertian Reflectivism
PostPosted: April 10th, 2016, 1:13 pm 
King

A fascinating look at the past and present merging together through collective beliefs. Amazing!