All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: August 24th, 2016, 12:49 am 
King

I do think that we should define the roles here; they are not conclusively defined in other places. Their powers and duties, yes (Yes, I know that this does in fact copy some Emperor language from the carta, but that's likely ok), but not their full definitions and historical origins.

So, a discussion including Sam, Atryl, Mark, and myself has discussed the issue of how to re-incorporate some of the older, quasi-ceremonial, yet still supremely valid language in the definition of Emperor.

Enjoy!

------

Emperor/Empress

From the first days of the Mercurian Empire and the rise of nations across the lands of Hermertia, the preservation of truth, objectivity, and the values of the Empire has been the task of an Emperor or Empress. A representative of the divinity of the Mercurian Empire and the Council of the Crowned, the Emperor is tasked with the eternal responsibility of preserving the spirit of the Empire; ensuring the continuation of the Empire while holding a sacred trust as a connection to its historic values and guiding philosophies.

Elected from within the ranks of the Council and equal in rights and abilities to each of the sitting members of the latter, the Emperor/Empress holds the responsibility of performing tasks as a representative of the Council of the Crowned, including but not limited to the crowning of newly ascended Kings/Queens to the Council and the delivering of announcements on behalf of the Council. A timeless representative of the guiding collaborative philosophy of the Empire, the Emperor/Empress has the sacred duty of representing and encouraging the diversity and community of the Empire and of fostering communal ties and development; in this role, the Emperor/Empress holds the responsibility of representing the community in specific instances, including but not limited to officiating cultural events such as the Imperial Games, introducing communal initiatives and events, and travelling the Empire to foster international development and cooperation.

Minister for Applications and Settlement
Forums Administrator

PostPosted: August 24th, 2016, 1:38 am 
King

The edits above are deeply provoking, in the most positive sense of the term. They showcase an esteemed acknowledgement and respect of the Emperor, the Empire and our great history. Let it be known Minerva is in deep gratitude to the patience and genuine passion for the spirit of the Empire showcased by all on this item. These edits receive strong Minervan endorsement.

The United Kingdom of Greater Minerva, Office of Imperial Affairs

PostPosted: August 24th, 2016, 9:21 pm 
King

Absolutely no trouble at all Sir! Our collaborative efforts are only strengthened when we can draw on more diverse perspectives and opinions; this is what makes us a great forum for discussion and is arguably what has allowed our server to endure and evolve while maintaing a deep connection to our roots and traditions :)

Minister for Applications and Settlement
Forums Administrator

PostPosted: August 24th, 2016, 9:38 pm 
King

I am a little slow at times, so what is the point of making an Act for creating definitions? Can't we just make definitions to explain things further than the rights/proceedings in the Carta?

PostPosted: August 24th, 2016, 9:40 pm 

Kyn wrote:
I am a little slow at times, so what is the point of making an Act for creating definitions? Can't we just make definitions to explain things further than the rights/proceedings in the Carta?

The original post was in the old acts is why this is even being brought up. It's the only place where these things are actually defined legally.

PostPosted: August 25th, 2016, 7:26 pm 
King

Not necessarily. Lore can be canonised informally by Council consensus without a vote. It's happened a lot in the past. Including with reaching and controversial canon. And even if passed, it does not necessarily need to be introduced to the Criminal Code and Indoles page as an Act of Law, because we could accidentally fill up that important document with lore clutter.

I mean clutter in a good sense. Our lore is rich and deep. If we find ourselves legislating a lot of lore, then we should be wary of its impact on our laws page.

I tend to side with Kyn's hesitation in having this treated as an Act instead of just a voted confirmation of our lore, which would send it to the library. But, I am still willing to vote for the above wording if my council peers insist on this Act.

PostPosted: August 25th, 2016, 7:30 pm 

There's no other place these things are legally defined. What are we supposed to do to define them other than to use "The Act of Definitions?" This isn't just lore, it's the only place I've seen it written down that explains what exactly these things mean and are.

PostPosted: August 25th, 2016, 7:36 pm 
King

Well, that's strongly due to our lack of Library. This kind of information was well organised and highlighted in the opening pages of the library. Which is a further reason Siden and the Regent should continue apace with their experimentation of the otherwise simple problem that has held back this library revival. Of course, there is plenty of room for impatience and frustration, for Siden and I feel the same about this silly problem, but we will crack it! Speaking of which, Siden, will you be around next week? I'm back settled in my parent's place with every afternoon to kill for a week if not two. I would dedicate every ounce to this effort if you agree, which could give a home to these canon and role clarifications. It can still be voted on here, but not everyone is convinced it should be an Act of Law, and I side with that perspective.

PostPosted: August 26th, 2016, 2:39 am 
King

I do believe the missing Library is the crutch here and the proper place to put items like this. Back in the day it was chocked full of useful details such as these being proposed. Let me know if you need a hand.

PostPosted: August 26th, 2016, 3:15 am 
King

Being a little out of touch with legalese and what is required, is this requires to be defined or not. if so then yes once the wording has been approved. Of course the library being down has been a bit of a whoops when it comes to having easily access and organised stuff.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next