All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: February 19th, 2017, 5:24 am 

King Erastil had some awesome ideas for revamping our applications process. It is with his permission that I post these ideas, ideas we and others have discussed in Discord for at least 2 months now.

The goals for this new process are as follows:

Expedite the application process. We feel that too many applicants either give up or lose interest by the time they actually get accepted - in some cases it can take almost a week for an applicant that really has no “issues.” I believe this contributes greatly to our high attrition rate.

Increase the variety of realms that receive new vassals. My proposed process would help place applicants with realms that might better suit them, as well as preventing a few realms from possibly grabbing all the applicants.

Improve the process for us - many Kings these days, despite being active according to our laws, are really not active nor are they participating in the everyday functions of a server. With more Kings than ever before, a new process could alleviate these issues.

Here are some proposed ideas for this new applicant acceptance process:

* Realms must have a designated town for incoming applicants to build in. It must have a nether portal connected to a safe line, with a safe line. These "vassal towns" must be made available in order for a realm to make vassal offers. The site has to be approved by the Applications Minister, and nether infrastructure must meet current guidelines. Applicants to be a liege must be made in the Ministry sub forum. It should be understood that vassals have to prove their worth in these starter towns before receiving their own land. We can talk about things the starter towns should have as a minimum to be declared a “starter town” to assist newcomers in gathering materials and surviving.

* Realms wishing to be lieges should have an overview page in a sub forum of the Applications forum, detailing what they are looking for in a vassal, typical play hours, expectations, etc.

* Applicants are expected to fill out the proper application form. Not filling this out in its entirety would render their application incomplete. We can discuss what this application would require.

* Applicants must receive approval from the Applications Minister or a deputy minister after a background check into their MC username, email, etc.

* Applications are accepted after a passed bill by the House of Dukes, with the addition of votes from three Kings. The Minister or deputy minister's votes can be included in this total. Possibly three king votes, or two with the House of Dukes?

PostPosted: February 19th, 2017, 6:40 am 
Count

I like the idea overall, streamlining the application process, active lieges, etc. But, I'm not sure I'm sold on the 'vassal town.'

What exactly is the goal with this piece?

Cedrek Axefall
-Mayor of Graycott
-Earl of Graycott
-Corpse
-Traitor?

PostPosted: February 19th, 2017, 6:44 am 

Aren wrote:
I like the idea overall, streamlining the application process, active lieges, etc. But, I'm not sure I'm sold on the 'vassal town.'

What exactly is the goal with this piece?

The goal with requiring vassal towns:

* Make welcoming new vassals easier. Farms of various kinds, existing nether lines/portals,etc already in place. Less of a burden to get someone onto the server.

* Filters out people who might quit within a few hours and never come back so that lieges don't have to build a new nether line/portal etc. just to have that person leave.

* Gets new applicants in certain places so that it's easier for people to build with them/visit them. Might help retention rates if they are building with others or close to others from the time they are accepted.

Thanks for the question, I should have expanded upon the "why" on this part more!

PostPosted: February 19th, 2017, 6:56 am 
Count

So what would a typical 'vassal town' look like in your vision here?
Is it like a semi-finished city with plots left for new vassals?
Something else? Up to the realm?

Do lieges often create new nether lines for brand new vassals? I had to build my own....Thanks, Nick

Cedrek Axefall
-Mayor of Graycott
-Earl of Graycott
-Corpse
-Traitor?

PostPosted: February 19th, 2017, 7:02 am 

Aren wrote:
So what would a typical 'vassal town' look like in your vision here?
Is it like a semi-finished city with plots left for new vassals?
Something else? Up to the realm?

Not sure, I'd like input from others on what they'd think would be best. I'm assuming at least food, basic warehouse? Could be dependent on the realm.

Aren wrote:
Do lieges often create new nether lines for brand new vassals? I had to build my own....Thanks, Nick

I think so. I know I have for all of mine, if I didn't have a line going through that part of the realm already. I know Ignis/Erastil did as well.

PostPosted: February 19th, 2017, 11:32 am 
Duke

I'm in favour of these ideas so far, especially the streamlining of the number of votes required. I think its important that we don't keep people hanging around too long.

I also like the idea of a vassal area or town. I have implemented an area for such a purpose already, essentially being an island with a nether portal and small farm and a dock. I'd be less inclined to say we should legislate what a vassal area should look like/include because each liege will presumably want different activities from new vassals. I'd prefer we keep any requirements rather loose

- Recipient of the Pyrencian Good Effort Award
- 2016 Winner of the 'Medal of S'alright'
- Stronger than an ant
- The Tallest

PostPosted: February 19th, 2017, 2:02 pm 
King

Less votes required to get in.

More emphasis on vetting from the Minister/Someone who is online and has access to the admin email for vetting.

Immediate Copy/Pasting of the Realms Ads for a good overview for selection process.

2 Kings and Dukes after the Minister has vetted seems reasonable. In the interest of the server getting and hopefully retaining more players this is a change im willing to make.

PostPosted: February 19th, 2017, 8:04 pm 
King

I don't mind the majority of these ideas to be honest. I have a few towns that are vacant now. I know we have a lot of space in some of the realms (as it is large biome based), however, it is still a waste of land or good areas when the vassal decides not to come back. The vassal town idea, once a little more defined, could help alleviate this from happening.

The number of votes I also agree with. I would say 3 Kings with the House of Dukes passing a bill or 2 Kings with the House of Dukes passing a bill and a vote from the Applications Minister?

PostPosted: February 19th, 2017, 8:51 pm 
King

I definitely agree with everything laid out, especially the reduced vote requirement.

Blood of the Ancient Kingdom of Isilioth
Grandmaster of the Drachenfeuer Order.