All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: February 23rd, 2017, 5:38 am 
Count

Here are my two-cents:

* Should the realm in question need to build a full size physical canal?

I think requiring a realm (read player) to build a full size canal is unreasonable. If I were required to build a full size canal between two points that could span many thousands of blocks I would not do it. Its a waste of time and I think it would start making the game feel more like a job then a game. If it were a requirement I would never fulfill it as I simply have different priorities while playing the game.

* Should the realm in question need to build a system of smaller canals and connected Minecraft rivers to justify the connection?

See above answer.

* Should the two places being connected both have higher requirements, or just one of them?

I think that if the realm were applying for a second location then they most likely already vastly-surpass the requirements of a single location and they should only have to fulfill the requirements of the original. (i.e. 20+ buildings yada yada yada...)

* Should intra-realm connections be limited to Dukes and above?

I don't think it should be limited but I am guessing those of whom are applying for a second one will have been around long enough to naturally progress to Duke or above.

I don't have answers for last few questions right now.

PostPosted: February 23rd, 2017, 5:43 am 

Thanks for everyone for the input so far! Keep it coming!

Keep in mind this survey is for realms wanting to connect two of their own fast travel points ( on different seas) to eachother!

PostPosted: February 24th, 2017, 2:29 am 
King

Johanssen's details on the first question makes sense for sure. Maybe just making sure it is a complete waterway that at least a river boat can fit through (as in making sure it was all traveled and absolutely no water is blocked by land or is a bit deeper than one block). Most water ways are fairly deep except a few sections from my experience.

PostPosted: February 24th, 2017, 4:03 am 
Duke

So Mark and I were talking a bit last night and we seemed to come an agreement on basically everything, but here are my thoughts on the matter.

* Should the realm in question need to build a full size physical canal?

No

* Should the realm in question need to build a system of smaller canals and connected Minecraft rivers to justify the connection?

Yes, the rivers should be connected and dug out the full length to accommodate the types of boats that will be traveling the river. It should meet a minimum width and depth of 3 deep and 5 wide. This just makes the most sense to me and sets a decent bar for people to achieve.

* Should the two places being connected both have higher requirements, or just one of them?

I dont think either should have higher requirements and the amount of boats originally posted by Mark will suffice. As usual, it will be up to the ministers discretion on whether or not the area meets the requirements. Then after that it still has to pass the council vote to be fully approved.

* Should intra-realm connections be limited to Dukes and above?

Yes, this is a very situational act and will only be used a handful of times. Current Dukes are already the only ones that can really take advantage of this at the moment so this doesnt really change that much, but also sets the bar a bit higher still. This is an international travel point that will affect everyone and should be treated with a decent amount of seriousness.

* How many boats should the higher requirements require, considering this would be considered a river travel point and not a standard one with full size boats?

The requirements already posted buy Mark I think are plenty.

* What kind of industry should be mandatory over normal requirements?

I've never really been a fan of this "Industry" thing. People are traveling. They want to get somewhere either to trade or to visit. Everyone gets their food/beer/goods/animals from somewhere. Not every city does everything and not every city only has an entire population that only has one profession. So no, I dont believe there should be a mandatory industry.

* How many buildings should the higher requirements require?

No more than usual, minister discretion.

But another thing that was brought up was limiting these connections to starting in a main body of water( any body of water that large ships can sail between e.g. Imp sea, Khabranthian Sea, Valyrian Sea) and leading to a minor body of water (any sea not connected to these main seas by ocean). I support this idea as it prevents people from cutting continents in half with these fast travel rivers and making them travel ridiculous distances or using them in places where they werent intended to be.

PostPosted: February 24th, 2017, 10:42 pm 
King

Awesome details, thanks Siden. I agree with the clarifications. Everything seems to be fair and makes sense.

PostPosted: February 25th, 2017, 5:32 am 

Confirming siden and I talked about this and agreed between us on the requirements.

I'd also like to edit in (once I'm back from my trip) an edit to list things (mostly the section on trade,residence, and industry) that can contribute to a point becoming eligible (all points) but not make them all required - then compensate the less strict language by giving more discretion to the minister of surveyors and/or chairperson of maritime travel for approving points.

The point of this is that a lot of people seem to not be concerned with the letter of the law, but more of the spirit of it (using Sam's phrasing haha). Let's let the legal language reflect that!

PostPosted: February 26th, 2017, 1:51 am 
Count

I tend to agree with the harsh restrictions on interrealm travel, though I'd like to see some more discussion on the role of industry.

Student of the Gildscype Scytera (Archers' Guild)

PostPosted: February 26th, 2017, 6:06 pm 
King

I feel that industry still needs to be a factor in regards to fast travel, and not dropped off even though the law still has it as a necessity. Ports don't exist only for goods to magically flow in or out of, or for traveling in the historical context the server is in. Ports were created when there was a regional industry that allowed the trade necessary to build a port. That how feel about it at least, we should not be removing the industry requirements.

Blood of the Ancient Kingdom of Isilioth
Grandmaster of the Drachenfeuer Order.

PostPosted: February 26th, 2017, 9:43 pm 
Duke

Well yeah, goods dont magically flow in and out. They get traded for money or other goods on boats because not everwhere can create everything.

Rosaire has a brewery and that was listed as its "Industry". But it would be weird to say that the entire city's economy revolves around that business. Obviously a city should have things going on, but the industry requirement has never been a thing that anyone actually cared about or put any thought into, and is always just checked off the list like "yeah i guess that counts, whatever" and if something is that overlooked, why even have it at all?

I went back to check what the industry was for all the previous ports to get an idea on how much people do for it.

Akaria - Business and Trade (obviously, its a port, thats the whole point of a port)
Isenwich - Beer, Blacksmith ( two incredibly common professions found in basically every city)
Rosaire - Beer, Blacksmith
Alcona - University ( This is probably the best example of a town centered around a single industry )
Haile - Unspecified ( I dont think anyone really cared)
Aestham- Trade i guess
Oakland - Farm, Trees (Unless your land is super rich or a desert, I doubt youre importing your trees)
Glas Claddach - Trade again?
Kaltamerri - Special trees n stuff ( probably the second best example of a town with our laws defenition of industry)
Concorida - Theres a church there i guess.
Secara - Unspecified
K'valsear - more trade

The point of this being that there are only two cities (kaltamerri and alcona) that actually meet the industry requirements and every other city is just some generic trade that basically every city has. So if this little thought is going into the requirement, why even have it?

Every city farms and fishes and has a blacksmith. The ports have several purposes that make them lore viable without the weird industry requirements:
- Traveling, accessing other cities in the realm
- Trading, importing and exporting will be done in any city with water access.
- Naval and military presence

PostPosted: February 26th, 2017, 9:53 pm 

Siden Rua wrote:
Well yeah, goods dont magically flow in and out. They get traded for money or other goods on boats because not everwhere can create everything.

Rosaire has a brewery and that was listed as its "Industry". But it would be weird to say that the entire city's economy revolves around that business. Obviously a city should have things going on, but the industry requirement has never been a thing that anyone actually cared about or put any thought into, and is always just checked off the list like "yeah i guess that counts, whatever" and if something is that overlooked, why even have it at all?

I went back to check what the industry was for all the previous ports to get an idea on how much people do for it.

Akaria - Business and Trade (obviously, its a port, thats the whole point of a port)
Isenwich - Beer, Blacksmith ( two incredibly common professions found in basically every city)
Rosaire - Beer, Blacksmith
Alcona - University ( This is probably the best example of a town centered around a single industry )
Haile - Unspecified ( I dont think anyone really cared)
Aestham- Trade i guess
Oakland - Farm, Trees (Unless your land is super rich or a desert, I doubt youre importing your trees)
Glas Claddach - Trade again?
Kaltamerri - Special trees n stuff ( probably the second best example of a town with our laws defenition of industry)
Concorida - Theres a church there i guess.
Secara - Unspecified
K'valsear - more trade

The point of this being that there are only two cities (kaltamerri and alcona) that actually meet the industry requirements and every other city is just some generic trade that basically every city has. So if this little thought is going into the requirement, why even have it?

Every city farms and fishes and has a blacksmith. The ports have several purposes that make them lore viable without the weird industry requirements:
- Traveling, accessing other cities in the realm
- Trading, importing and exporting will be done in any city with water access.
- Naval and military presence

Acholm.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next