All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: February 26th, 2017, 10:07 pm 
King

This is a fantasy server, with all types of ports made by all kinds of players. As long as their town/village/some configuration of build is set up and looks great/has enough built it's not a hugely important thing to have a strict requirement for. The rest of the town can make up for that i guess? Each place wouldn't have (most likely) some specialty, but rather would be trading some surplus iron for food, for example, that being some trading going on. Not all of our ports have to be super huge or super populated (Kaltamerri has the least buildings of all fast travel places by a mile). Looking good coming first, and then guidelines on what could be included second.

What I wrote I realise doesn't particularly address the points on what to do but are some musings on the matter

PostPosted: February 26th, 2017, 10:25 pm 
Duke

Cerdic Accynnafon wrote:
Acholm.

Acholm - Beer and Religion (two things that basically every city has anyway)
I doubt the entire massive city of acholm works at or for the Brewery. If they do, the creeper is probably symbolism for a beer bottle.

PostPosted: February 26th, 2017, 10:40 pm 
King

Also just thought of a thing to swap out the requirement currently standing for industry, to make it a guideline addition if the person constructing the port wishes:

Make the port add beneficially to the lore of the server in some fashion.

Having just had this thought, I'm unsure exactly what the requirements for that would be, or if indeed a sentence needs any definition given its open ended nature, would be up to the Kings and the Minister for Surveyors and Civil Engineers (as well as the rest of the residential, boat, and nether prerequisites)

PostPosted: February 26th, 2017, 10:47 pm 

Siden Rua wrote:
Cerdic Accynnafon wrote:
Acholm.

Acholm - Beer and Religion (two things that basically every city has anyway)
I doubt the entire massive city of acholm works at or for the Brewery. If they do, the creeper is probably symbolism for a beer bottle.
Y

You are clueless if you think that is all.

PostPosted: February 27th, 2017, 12:41 am 
Duke

Well if you're interested in talking about it, actual discussion would be appreciated. Not just one word quips. Im not trying to bash anyone, im giving my opinion for discussion.

PostPosted: February 27th, 2017, 8:13 am 
Duke

I think the idea of industry was based on the idea that ports don't exist at random locations along the coastline just so people can dock and trade with each other. They exist because people need to buy stuff from merchants that they can't produce locally or regionally. However, they also exist so merchants can buy things to trade to other places. Thus, there needs to be some industry for a port to make sense. This industry does not need to be in the port itself. If the port is connected to other settlements that use it as their primary access to the sea (like Secara, Acholm, etc.), then that port has reason to exist even if it doesn't have significant industry.

TLDR: Ports don't exist just to exist. Ports either need to produce goods for trade or need to be connected to places that do. Ergo, industry requirement.

PostPosted: February 27th, 2017, 8:31 am 
Duke

As the current chairperson for Maritime Travel I feel I should input here.

I’ll start off by saying that I would personally prefer to see a more hardline stance on the Fast Travel requirements. Population? Build a bunch of houses and decorate them. Industry? You better be able to point to a building or area which represents people making stuff.

The decision is entirely at my discretion, and yet I’m constantly being reminded that to be too strict on the requirements is being unfair and that some places deserve a more lax interpretation due to the build style. This is usually followed up by further reminders that I should have a spine and enforce the above rigorously.

When trying to use a more strict interpretation while reviewing Roseaire, Ertia for example, I received a lot of criticism for wanting to see some more evidence of residential presence and a bit of decoration in the international buildings. Some said this was too lax and I should ask for more, but others said it was too strict, and that Roseaire should not have to adhere to the same standards due to the way Arjen builds big. I’ll clarify here that the criticism was not from King Arjen himself, he was extremely understanding of what I wanted to see in order to approve the requirements.

I have heard a lot of people complain that previous fast travel points were given the green light despite missing one or more of the requirements at the time, so why should new applicants now have to adhere to stricter standards? To this I say that it may seem unfair to change the style of enforcement, but the one thing most people seem to agree on is that the previous ministry was too lax in approving some ports.

As Industry seems to be the point everyone is talking about at the minute I’ll wade in and suggest we redefine Industry to mean ‘Why are people going there?’ rather than ‘What does the area make?’.
This would give the realm builder more flexibility in explaining why the area should have a port with fast travel. Not all ports would benefit from having an open pit mine in the middle of town.

- Recipient of the Pyrencian Good Effort Award
- 2016 Winner of the 'Medal of S'alright'
- Stronger than an ant
- The Tallest

PostPosted: February 27th, 2017, 1:22 pm 
King

Septimus wrote:
I’ll wade in and suggest we redefine Industry to mean ‘Why are people going there?’ rather than ‘What does the area make?’.

I like this suggestion

PostPosted: February 27th, 2017, 2:07 pm 
Count

Samyrrah Almandine wrote:
Septimus wrote:
I’ll wade in and suggest we redefine Industry to mean ‘Why are people going there?’ rather than ‘What does the area make?’.

I like this suggestion

I also like this. I think it makes sense.

Cedrek Axefall
-Mayor of Graycott
-Earl of Graycott
-Corpse
-Traitor?

PostPosted: February 27th, 2017, 10:59 pm 
Duke

Aren wrote:
Samyrrah Almandine wrote:
Septimus wrote:

I like this suggestion

That seems like a good way to condense and clarify this.
I also like this. I think it makes sense.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next