All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Ownership
PostPosted: December 12th, 2016, 8:39 pm 
Duke

So I was looking into something the other day, and I noticed a kind of hole in the Carta/laws. Mostly referring to ownership and what people are and aren't allowed to do with certain builds, materials, etc. We only have one area that vaguely covers this kind of thing, but that only refers to vassals that go independent and their rights.

To preface I wouldnt believe that embassy's would fall under these rules as they are diplomatic buildings and reflect relations between two realms.

The problem being, what if someone builds a non-embassy building in your land, but its not a co-build of any sort. Who then owns that building? What is the original builder allowed to do with said building after it's complete? What is the owner of the land allowed to do to the building? What about materials inside that building?

Then there's fast travel. Are people allowed to remove connections in non-war situations? What about their boats in other ports? Are connections to be treated like the nether because they fall under the ministry of surveyors and engineers?

Just looking for thoughts.

Post subject: Re: Ownership
PostPosted: December 12th, 2016, 10:26 pm 

This was a topic last night between Erastil and I. His conclusion IIRC was that in reality, stuff built in your lands is your stuff, even if they are co-builds, boats. embassies, guild halls, etc. I do think that the builder of the foreign place shoudl be allowed to put up a sign saying "embassy closed" if for some lore/other reason they want to "close" relations with that realm, but to take it down really shouldn't be a habit we make as a community (and I say this with full knowledge I've done something of this nature myself).

With regard to fast travel, fast-travel points are international means of travel. They should be assumed to be treated like nether lines, no?

PostPosted: December 12th, 2016, 11:12 pm 
Duke

I'd agree that all buildings unless otherwise agreed upon by all parties, should be considered the property of the realm they are built in, with the exception of embassies which I propose we consider foreign soil held by the Representative Nation. This would allow the Representative Nation to build at will within the defined area and further strengthen the ties between the two nations by ceding a small parcel of land. Should the Realm leader wish to move the embassy or otherwise alter it, both parties should discuss.

With regards to Fast Travel, the issue of who owns the boat (where different, the person who built it, the nation it represents, or the realm it currently resides) is tricky. Probably best to conclude that the travel point is internationally owned and requires permission from Ministry of Surveyors & Civil Engineering/Siden to remove or alter.

- Recipient of the Pyrencian Good Effort Award
- 2016 Winner of the 'Medal of S'alright'
- Stronger than an ant
- The Tallest

PostPosted: December 13th, 2016, 3:26 pm 
King

I'd agree that the property/ship/building/whatever it is should be designated as the owner of the land in which it is built - Even embassies (although lore wise the embassy would be sovereign soil most times of course) because it helps to keep this uniform. However once it is complete permission must be gained for the purposes of changing it in any way before construction/alteration takes place.
How does that sound? Keeps it simple and fair.

For fast travel, it depends, if there is another way to be set up to allow that travel, then only until that alternate fast travel is available can another one be removed. The remover party should have to construct additional boats if needed for this.