All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: October 15th, 2016, 7:06 pm 

The purpose of this bill is to change the wording of the Mob Spawn Protection Law. The proposed language is as follows:

A location is eligible for mob spawn protection if it meets the following criteria:

1. The aesthetic quality of the area is seriously (i.e. unworkably) impacted by torch spam, such as in snowy biomes.

2. There is no alternative method in vanilla Minecraft to preserve the aesthetic quality of the area.

3. The area is at least a county or above.

4. The area would be safe from monsters (i.e. surrounded by walls).

The approval of a king is required to make certain that all of the above conditions are met. Once the site has approval by a king, a bill allowing implementation must be passed.

PostPosted: October 15th, 2016, 7:10 pm 

I have a few issues with this.

* I don't think a wall has to be built for every situation. Who determines how big it would have to be anyways?

* What does a person have to post for proof for the passing of the bill?

PostPosted: October 15th, 2016, 7:17 pm 
Duke

Mark Accynnafon wrote:
I have a few issues with this.

* I don't think a wall has to be built for every situation. Who determines how big it would have to be anyways?

Yeah this a good point.

The fourth point in the existing legislation should be more general. For instance, I don't necessarily need walls to defend a settlement from mobs, I could use a fortress strategically situated on a mountain that over looks the area, or I could have several 'military posts' within the settlement itself. Limiting to walls is over restrictive and doesn't make too much sense in the grand scheme of all builds.

Protector of the Vahnic Exploration Company
Ilkhan of Greater Karastan-Laghima

PostPosted: October 15th, 2016, 7:20 pm 

Also, county has no actual definition. If we go on precedence, a single medium sized building has been considered a county before. Under that intrepetstion, anything is a county.

Either a county needs to be precisely defined in the Imperial Codex somewhere, or it should be removed from the language.

PostPosted: October 15th, 2016, 7:23 pm 
Duke

I feel like it was kind of implied in the previous wording, but using natural barriers such as mountains, canyons, rivers, and other types of boundaries and other "walls" are worth taking into account.

I also think that making it into a bill would be a good idea as well, so no one can sneak something shady through. Every location that uses it would be public knowledge that way.

I also think that the vote requirements should be stricter. Not by much, but perhaps two Kings after a review of the area?

PostPosted: October 15th, 2016, 7:26 pm 

Siden Rua wrote:
I feel like it was kind of implied in the previous wording, but using natural barriers such as mountains, canyons, rivers, and other types of boundaries and other "walls" are worth taking into account.

I also think that making it into a bill would be a good idea as well, so no one can sneak something shady through. Every location that uses it would be public knowledge that way.

I also think that the vote requirements should be stricter. Not by much, but perhaps two Kings after a review of the area?

What about a king AND the minister of civil engineers? If the minister was a king, it would not count as both.

PostPosted: October 15th, 2016, 8:26 pm 
King

Agreed to many of the points above. While I personally will never support the use of such a plugin, I recognise that I am firmly in the minority on this issue and am likely to remain so for some time; that said, let's go about bringing these requirements up to snuff.

What about something like:

------

The Mob-Spawning Prevention Act

In certain situations, a location may be deemed eligible to be protected from the natural phenomenon of mobs spawning through use of a plugin.

A location may be deemed eligible for this protection if meeting each of the following criteria:

1. The aesthetic quality of the area is seriously impacted by the placing of torches required to prevent mob spawn, to an extent where it renders the area unworkable for construction, aesthetic, lore, or other purposes.

2. There is no alternative method provided by the mechanics of Vanilla Minecraft to preserve the aesthetic quality of the area while keeping the area workable for construction, aesthetic, lore, or other purposes.

3. The location is deemed to be protected from mobs through natural or artificial barriers that would reasonably protect the location and justify, in-lore, the use of the plugin.

The above criteria will be evaluated by both the current sitting Minister for Surveyors and Civil Engineers and any sitting member of the Council of the Crowned who is not the former nor is the party applying for the use of the plugin. If both individuals deem the location to have satisfied each and every requirement, the location may be presented in the form of a bill to the Imperial Parliament along with photographic evidence of

i) The location requiring protection, and
ii) The natural or artificial barrier(s) providing in-lore justification for the adoption of the plugin

where it will require a vote in assent from 60% of the Council of the Crowned or a vote in assent from 50% of the Council of the Crowned concurrent with a vote in assent from 50% + 1 of the House of Dukes to pass.

Upon having passed, the location may be endowed with the plugin which shall remain in operation until either there is a request for it to be lifted or the specifications of the location change so as to no longer qualify it for the use of the plugin as described in this Act.

Minister for Applications and Settlement
Forums Administrator

PostPosted: October 15th, 2016, 11:26 pm 
King

These points are very well written. I agree with what is here.

PostPosted: October 19th, 2016, 10:11 pm 
King

I also agree. Great write up of this.

PostPosted: October 19th, 2016, 11:34 pm 
Duke

Looks good to me as well.