All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: March 25th, 2019, 6:21 pm 
King

As per my previous proposals, I am a huge proponent of adding legislation that will promote building and growth, it was thusly with the Fast Travel idea that was hugely successful, and additionally with the mob-proofing bill which allowed for artistic darkness and more unique builds than the vanilla experience quite has the power to allow.

To this end I am proposing a bill that will spur the growth of more infrastructure and propel building new areas within each realm and mitigate the less fun aspects of the game:

Intra-Realm Fast Travel via Land or Air

This can be accomplished by having a set of key points that each player must construct at both ends of the travel route, namely:

- Appropriate areas for Hot Air Balloons or airships to dock/land.
- Evidence of Hot Air Balloons or Airships in the vicinity (amount to be determined).
- Evidence of appropriate amount of horses and carts etc from land routes (to be included even if the link is by air).
- Evidence of decent rail infrastructure and connections that stretch at least to a point in the distance outside the city (beyond render distance most likely).
- Main thoroughfare road for land caravans.
- Trade hub (open to artistic interpretation).
- Horse Stable or Minecart Rail Yard or both.
- Lodgings for travellers.
- Appropriate amenities at both ends (bars, entertainment, taverns, resupply shops).
- Evidence of industry that supports the travel business.
- A reason for both areas to be linked via this travel route, be it important cultural spot, industrial centre, or capital city of some kind.
- Nether connections for both ends in case the mods supporting the fast travel are ever down due to new patches and updates.

The distance over which one can ask for an intra-realm fast travel will be assessed on a case by case basis, with a reasonably far distance at least. But again, assessed on worthiness of the two areas. (E.g. Perth's Capital and Clas Gladdach spring to mind).

I am very much ok with Maritime fast travel points being one of the ends of this new form of trast travel. Being able to quickly access the world is a major boon.

Ideas and feedback and amendments to the current proposal are welcome and encouraged.

PostPosted: March 25th, 2019, 6:53 pm 
King

I am in favor of this and find it to be very well constructed in what is needed to what is given with the fast travel. You will have my vote when it comes to that.

PostPosted: March 25th, 2019, 11:02 pm 
Duke

I agree that we could expand the options for international fast travel to include land routes, however, I would like to limit the extent to which we have intra-realm fast travel. My major gripes with it are a) that it removes yet another aspect of survival play, b) that it might discourage people from developing an extensive road network (both on the surface and in the nether) within their realms, and c) it removes a one of the major downsides of having a larger realm, that of having to take time to travel through it.

I think that we should allow realms to have multiple fast travel points that are part of the international network (rather than each realm having a separate domestic network), but place a cap on the number based on rank and/or realm size. You should not be able to build one in every settlement, because then people will just teleport everywhere. This also allows us to simply amend the current fast-travel law and use its process, rather than pass a new law.

I don't think airships and hot air balloons should be used for the new fast travel connections, both because it goes against already established lore guidelines and because it would make people less likely to build overland roads, an important component of a realm's lore. I think the requirements should be the same as a maritime fast travel point, but instead of having to build boats, a road must be built between the two locations. This creates a lore explanation for the connection while still requiring the person to put in significant effort to get a fast travel point.

PostPosted: March 26th, 2019, 12:12 am 
Duke

I am good with the general intent of this, but I have a couple thoughts I want to share. In terms of establishing land routes, I don't think rail should be a required component (I can't tell if that is the case or not from the text). I would prefer it require something like a network of roads connecting the two points a la the road that runs through Casadia since that would have more scenic results. As for airships, that is a hard, hard pass from me. As Chairman stated, the established lore does not jive with that at all and I think it pushes the theme of the server too far away from its medieval roots into a steampunk-esque style. When it comes to limits for fast travel points, I think a realm should only be allowed to have two at most. That can be two sea, two land, or one of each, but no more than that. I agree with Chairman that we don't want to incentivize people to just fast travel to every little town instead of exploring the world.

PostPosted: March 26th, 2019, 12:40 am 
Duke

Personally, I dont see the reasoning for it. I agree with most of Chairman's points. Also didnt we already have a discussion about air ships?

This one is a no from me.

"Music in the soul can be heard by the universe" ~Lao Tzu

PostPosted: March 26th, 2019, 12:50 am 
Duke

I'm not really sure what prompted this or what the point of it really is. I can see having overland travel being a thing, but the distanced would have to be pretty long and I agree that having a good road between to developed areas would be a must. I do think it would be nice to encourage other people to build overworld roads between their settlements.

I also agree with Chairman on almost everything. I too feel that this would diminish the survival aspect of the server and simply booping between cities removes any semblance of world building. Instead of traveling around a realm, you are now just popping from point to point, seemingly disconnected from each other.

As far as hot balloons or airships go, we've had this discussion before. Absolutely not.

PostPosted: March 26th, 2019, 3:16 am 
King

Very good discussion so far on this topic! I like the idea Sam and some of the points suggested.

I see the reasoning for the air baloons and such for sure. Over time technology and such could naturally progress which could make it lore appropriate at a point in time. However, I get the points raised by the rest of the community so far as well.

To fit within the current theme of the server and what this is aiming to accomplish I would definitely be for over world transportation routes to develop further. Currently we have some very nice, long and visually appealing routes that some have created. Some of these ideas would help further progress this concept and help add to the notion that cities and realms are more connected (i.e. visually seen overland paths that extend off into the distance). We would have to work on how close each point could be to one another to accommodate the good feedback from the others as well. I for one would appreciate a few more avenues of getting between points other than the nether to promote expansion within and outside of the realm.

PostPosted: March 26th, 2019, 5:05 am 
King

Fair enough on the replies, my intent, not that of Vark or Athlaeos, was to check for overland travel and however we wanted to do that I would be fine with. Checking to see if there was any additional progress that had been made with technology after 698 years but im fine with it not being the case. Thanks for the feedback.

I like the idea of two travel points. Its not so much that it's overwhelming but its enough that two distinct options are open to Realms to open up vast areas quickly and provide more buildup in harder to reach places.

Ill put together another list on potential ideas, the Rail inclusion was simply an idea to add another idea or method for overland travel to diversify the ideas we could have, I'm not meaning you should have a track that goes the entire way but it would be cool to have it in lore certainly for some places. This is of course alongside a road or something seeing as even hot air balloons are out of the question.

PostPosted: March 26th, 2019, 6:58 am 
Duke

I think once the server is active again we can talk about air travel and better technology, but for now, with minecraft's mechanics and blocks it will be easier just to stuck with medieval. I don't think my outlook on the issue will change unless blocks that can even look like steampunky stuff are added.

"Music in the soul can be heard by the universe" ~Lao Tzu

PostPosted: March 27th, 2019, 6:07 am 
Duke

If we are going to limit the number of fast travel points per realm to two, then I see no reason to have a minimum distance between two points, as a realm that puts their fast travel points close to each other would essentially be wasting them -- and I don't think people will want to do that. We might have to set a maximum distance because we already do that in a way with maritime points.