All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: June 30th, 2016, 6:01 pm 
Duke

Hey all,

As I mentioned in my ministerial platform, I think it would be a good idea to flesh out some of the aspects of our world for lore consistency purposes. If this discussion goes well, each month will have a new lore topic for us to discuss, debate, and formally lore-ify the functions thereof. In terms of structure, I was thinking that we would begin with people making proposals presenting a manner in which we could lore-ify the item at hand. We can then have a community discussion about which proposal (or blending of proposals) we like and decide on a final option. Without further ado, on to this month’s lore discussion topic.

Lore topic: Enchanting
How it works in Minecraft: enchantments are added to items through the use of an enchanting table or through combining the item and an enchanted book using an anvil. Experience levels and lapis lazuli are required to use an enchanting table. Items only lose their enchantments when combined with another item with overriding enchantments.

*Note: the section above is more of a starting point for discussion. We do not necessarily to need to lore-ify enchanting in such a way that it exactly matches the in-game process, though it would perhaps be beneficial if there were at least some basic similarities.

Proposals for methods of enchanting:
Runecarving: Enchanting is a magical process based around rune-carving. By carving special runes into items, they are imbued with certain magical properties (i.e. Unbreaking, Sharpness, etc.). These runes are often carved on a ceremonial enchanting table, but this is not a necessary condition for proper enchanting. Lapis lazuli powder is often rubbed into the runes after carving to increase the power of the enchantments. Study of the arcane is required in order to properly enchant items, putting it out reach as a skill for laymen smiths. The capabilities of a given enchanter are limited only by their knowledge of the aforementioned runes, meaning that there is always the potential for new enchantments to be discovered. Anvils can be used to transfer the runes from one tool to another by destroying one tool and then reforging the parts of it that have runes engraved on them into the remaining tool.

Scientific process: Enchanting is just a word for a very well understood, yet complex, series of scientific processes that are used to enhance the ability of objects such as axes and swords. The reason why many new "enchantments" seem to be added every couple of updates is actually because scholars around the Empire have discovered new methods to craft more and more useful objects. The reason these processes are called enchantments is because to they are not well understood by the general population, so to them it almost seems as though nobles and scholars are enchanting the objects.

Blood fusion: When Pyrencians forge enchanted items, different bloodlines are used to achieve different enchantments. Some of the blood is mixed into the material when it is extracted from the ore, as well as more of it being placed in the cooling water and becomes absorbed into the item completing the enchantment.

*Note: other proposals will be added here as they are posted.

PostPosted: June 30th, 2016, 6:10 pm 
Duke

Adding to proposal 1, anvils could be used to transfer the runes from one tool to another by destroying one tool and then reforging the parts of it that have runes engraved on them into the remaining tool. This would explain how combining tools works with anvils and also how this adds enchantments to or increases the power of enchantments on a tool.

PostPosted: June 30th, 2016, 6:27 pm 

I've written some in my lore about an ancient Dwarvish book called "Thorgil's Hammer." I'd love for one of the origins of enchanting to be that book. Other origins could exist, for example, there should be a lore story for how the Elves came to learn how to do this, and another for how humans learned how to do it, considering enchanting existed among the human realms of the Empire before the Ostrons stole the book Thorgil's Hammer.

PostPosted: June 30th, 2016, 7:05 pm 
King

Proposa 2: Enchanting is just a word for a very well understood, yet complex, series of scientific processes that are used to enhance the ability of objects such as axes and swords. The reason why many new "enchantments" seem to be added every couple of updates is actually because scholars around the Empire have discovered new methods to craft more and more useful objects. The reason these processes are called enchantments is because to they are not well understood by the general population, so to them it almost seems as though nobels and scholars are enchanting the objects.

of River's End

PostPosted: June 30th, 2016, 7:08 pm 

King Arjen IV wrote:
Proposa 2: Enchanting is just a word for a very well understood, yet complex, series of scientific processes that are used to enhance the ability of objects such as axes and swords. The reason why many new "enchantments" seem to be added every couple of updates is actually because scholars around the Empire have discovered new methods to craft more and more useful objects. The reason these processes are called enchantments is because to they are not well understood by the general population, so to them it almost seems as though nobels and scholars are enchanting the objects.

Magic sounds better to me, helps to add a layer of fantasy to the whole thing. I rather like Chairman's Rune suggestion as well.

PostPosted: June 30th, 2016, 7:25 pm 
Count

I agree with Mark on this point. Having enchanting be based on rune-carving leads me to think of the metaphysics behind them; what is it that grants these runes power/magical properties? It also holds the door open for other variants of enchanting, should anyone fancy that.

PostPosted: June 30th, 2016, 9:53 pm 
Duke

The Hierophant wrote:
I agree with Mark on this point. Having enchanting be based on rune-carving leads me to think of the metaphysics behind them; what is it that grants these runes power/magical properties? It also holds the door open for other variants of enchanting, should anyone fancy that.

These runes could be leftover elven language from the Cycle of the Moon, during which the Ibarahian Empire dominated much of the world and used magic to, among other things, create many of the known races that exist in Hermertia. Presumably, they could have invented enchanting in the first place, with their ideas being expanded upon later.

Source.

PostPosted: June 30th, 2016, 10:07 pm 

The Chairman wrote:
The Hierophant wrote:

These runes could be leftover elven language from the Cycle of the Moon, during which the Ibarahian Empire dominated much of the world and used magic to, among other things, create many of the known races that exist in Hermertia. Presumably, they could have invented enchanting in the first place, with their ideas being expanded upon later.

Source.

Ah, so that would nullify my theory that the species developed them independently. It does make the most sense that they all inherited these skills from the elves of that empire, perhaps even coming up with new "runes" of their own.

PostPosted: June 30th, 2016, 10:09 pm 

The Chairman wrote:
The Hierophant wrote:

Source.

BTW all of that is on these forums as well, in an easier to read format:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=193

PostPosted: July 1st, 2016, 2:25 am 
King

The improved smithing technology and knowledge is a good point but doesnt quite belong in a clearly magical element to the game, we can put that down to each Realm's skill at regular metalworking.

Runes are a cool way of making one method of enchanting possible. We them can look at where Runes came from, perhaps Dwarven influence or something else. Of course Runes are still Magical in nature, which implies that there could be further ways to enchant a piece of equipment.

In the Warhammer Fantasy universe, there are mages and sorcerers who can make armour or weapons infused with magic (Commonly Elves) And then there are Dwarves who instill their weapons with Runes, which are forged from Magic, of course.

We live in a world with reanimated skeletons and zombie monsters roaming around. That is necromancy, which is again Magic.

We also have Portals to Hell and to the Void where there are teleporting demons and a Dragon.
Not too far fetched to think that the lore for Enchanting is due to Magic.

Where this magic comes from is another question entirely.