All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: July 1st, 2016, 2:27 am 

Samyrrah Almandine wrote:
The improved smithing technology and knowledge is a good point but doesnt quite belong in a clearly magical element to the game, we can put that down to each Realm's skill at regular metalworking.

Runes are a cool way of making one method of enchanting possible. We them can look at where Runes came from, perhaps Dwarven influence or something else. Of course Runes are still Magical in nature, which implies that there could be further ways to enchant a piece of equipment.

In the Warhammer Fantasy universe, there are mages and sorcerers who can make armour or weapons infused with magic (Commonly Elves) And then there are Dwarves who instill their weapons with Runes, which are forged from Magic, of course.

We live in a world with reanimated skeletons and zombie monsters roaming around. That is necromancy, which is again Magic.

We also have Portals to Hell and to the Void where there are teleporting demons and a Dragon.
Not too far fetched to think that the lore for Enchanting is due to Magic.

Where this magic comes from is another question entirely.

The skill each society (aka how lazy a player is at enchanting tools) has could easily be explained by just how much knowledge their society has for enchanting - what was handed down, what they learned, what they traded for, etc.

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2016, 10:28 am 
Duke

Perhaps there could be multiple explanations of where it came from. Sam's description of elves forging magical tools while dwarves enchant through runes is excellent and I think it would add some literary flexibility if we say that different races learned to enchant in different ways.

I really like Mark's dwarf book I think that's an excellent source for ancient rune techniques. Equally in Perth and Dawnstar where Aethen are native people's perhaps the aethen have their own method of enchanting passed down from ancient elves. Then again perhaps in other regions (I'm really bad at remembering their names) the different religious beliefs use their own methods of enchanting, perhaps God's like the great creeper has taught his followers something different?

I say let each realm decide on their own origin tales for it. Perhaps even the scientific principle could also be used by kingdoms where great seats of learning exist and they could have academy's dedicated to learning the scientific principles not just of enchanting but also alchemy. Perhaps they could find a link between potions and enchantments? Who knows!

PostPosted: July 7th, 2016, 4:54 pm 
Duke

I'll leave this forum open for another week or so in case there are any other proposals. After that time period, I'll attach a poll to gauge community support of each proposal and decide the 'winner'.

PostPosted: July 7th, 2016, 5:13 pm 
King

Do we need a poll for this? Like, we have a bunch of things that are feasible, no need to disallow them if the vote isnt in favour of one or the other?

PostPosted: July 7th, 2016, 5:19 pm 
Duke

The whole point of this is to decide on a formal lore-ification of the subject at hand. That is to say, we are going to pick one of the proposals and make that the way that everyone handles that subject in lore.

PostPosted: July 7th, 2016, 5:20 pm 
King

I don't think that that is necessary, there is no reason that there couldn't be more than one way to make magical weapons. If we force people to only use one way it limits the creativity people have with their lore

-The Hydra
For a full list of titles, please see enclosed document.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=741

PostPosted: July 7th, 2016, 5:24 pm 

Queen Kytha wrote:
I don't think that that is necessary, there is no reason that there couldn't be more than one way to make magical weapons. If we force people to only use one way it limits the creativity people have with their lore

Personally I think the different sources of enchantment for each race is quite fascinating and the most balanced proposal

PostPosted: July 7th, 2016, 5:28 pm 
King

Mark Stefan wrote:
Queen Kytha wrote:

Personally I think the different sources of enchantment for each race is quite fascinating and the most balanced proposal

Agreed. Now, certain parts of other's lore might be regarded by some as "mythical" perhaps, much like certain religions are. For example, if someone's enchanting knowledge was said to have been dictated by a magical Magikarp that flew out of the ocean, some might see this as more myth than fact.

of River's End

PostPosted: July 7th, 2016, 5:35 pm 
Duke

King Arjen IV wrote:
Mark Stefan wrote:
Queen Kytha wrote:

Agreed. Now, certain parts of other's lore might be regarded by some as "mythical" perhaps, much like certain religions are. For example, if someone's enchanting knowledge was said to have been dictated by a magical Magikarp that flew out of the ocean, some might see this as more myth than fact.

I think that having some leeway with the "truth" of events in lore is good (i.e. "mythical" elements mentioned by Arjen) but also have some idea of the capital-T, objective Truth as it relates to these stories helps us to have more consistency with our lore and to create a shared Hermertia lore that is deeper and richer. My concern is that by having everyone define their own way enchanting works, our lore will become fragmented.

PostPosted: July 7th, 2016, 5:37 pm 

I share the same concern, there needs to be flexibility for individual lore writing, but some things really should be more unified and apply Empire wide.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next