All times are UTC [ DST ]

Should there be a common imperial currency?
Yes 71%  71%  [ 5 ]
No 29%  29%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 7
PostPosted: March 3rd, 2018, 7:01 pm 
Duke

***Note: this is for a lore currency, not an actual in-game currency

I brought this up to a few people on Discord, but I would like to have a more substantial discussion about currency within the empire. It would definitely help flesh out our collective lore, even if we decide not have a common imperial currency. I think there are two major items to address regarding this topic:

A. Is there a common imperial currency?

B. What is the nature of the various currencies (values, naming convention, minting process, etc.)?

My thoughts:
A. I think it would be cool to have an imperial currency, but there are some caveats. I think the production of the currency would have to be decentralized (i.e. each realm [or maybe just major realms] mints their own) given the fact that there is not a centralized governmental body to oversee said production. I think that only certain realms like duchies and kingdoms would be able to produce it since they would have greater credibility than other fledgling realms. These major realms could have their own mints, but would be held to a common production standard.

B. Realms can establish their own currencies as they wish regardless of this discussion, so I'll focus on a potential imperial currency. It would make sense for it to be based on various metals (i.e. copper, silver, and gold) with the values of the coins being based on the value of those metals. The common production standard would require a certain level of purity for each coinage. We could do copper, silver, and gold coins with values of one, ten, and one hundred, respectively. As for a naming convention, my personal pick would be aerum, argentum, and aurum (Latin names for the metals), but this obviously open to further discussion should we choose to go that route.

Those are my thoughts for now. I have added a poll for whether or not we want an imperial currency. Let me know what you all think!

PostPosted: March 3rd, 2018, 8:51 pm 
Duke

I really don't see anything I could argue with here. It makes sense that we would have an overall currency. Maybe places like the imperial isle or whatever big co-builds produce it though? Keep it to places where everyone has an influence and keep it easier regulated by making sure not too many people can make it.

I like the name ideas. Keeping it simple. :)

"Music in the soul can be heard by the universe" ~Lao Tzu

PostPosted: March 4th, 2018, 11:31 am 
Duke

If each nation had it's own currency are their values all inherently equal? I would hate to get further down that line and suddenly a Perth coin is worth 1.47 of a Dawnstar coin and whatnot. That is too complex and I am not okay with it.

I think in terms of naming, a simple copper silver and gold will suffice for empire wide, although I do like the latin names perhaps it would make more sense if they were to be the accepted terminology in certain realms.

In gaelic (the theme for Perth) we'd have cuinn (Coins), with copar, airgead, and oir (Copper, silver and gold respectively)

Also I had a giggle at myself over the idea of using Imperial Credits and some backwards tavern somewhere being like "We don't accept imperial credits here" and then Darth Vader turns up and stabs him.

PostPosted: March 4th, 2018, 3:21 pm 
Duke

If each nation had its own independent currency, then it would work similarly to the gold/silver coinage days of medieval and Renaissance Europe. Everyone produced their own coinage with varying metallic purity, which in turn helped determine the value. I do agree that it would cause a tangled web of different valuations unless we had a common imperial currency to measure everything against.

PostPosted: March 4th, 2018, 6:24 pm 
King

Flanders wrote:
a Perth coin is worth 1.47 of a Dawnstar coin

That's slander and an attempt to sway the uninformed market investors and im suing you in the Imperial Court for this.

Each coin would be of the (attmepted) same gold value or silver etc, but with a differing coin print on it, e.g. specific faces from their respective realms, nobles, or perhaps landmarks to denote the differing realms.

Maybe some kind of Imperial related name, maybe after age old places, or names of past titanic figures in the Empire to bring together the universal nature of the currency? Each realm might have their own local nicknames for a gold or a silver piece of course.