All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: February 11th, 2018, 8:09 pm 
Duke

Hey all,

Time for the return of monthly lore discussions! This month's topic is the lore of unsettled/unclaimed areas on the map. This is not something we have discussed specifically before, so I wanted to get everyone's ideas and opinions on it. I think there are two major questions that we need to answer:

1. Are the unclaimed territories devoid of civilization, inhabited to varying extents, or a mix of both?

2. To what extent are these unclaimed areas administratively/politically/economically developed (i.e. are they small independent villages, small freeholds, or full realms of their own)?

I know I have written in my own realm's lore that there are neighboring tribes and freeholds that have simply not formed into cohesive realms. As the realm expands, these independent holdings have been incorporated into the larger entity. My personal opinion on the matter is that we should leave it up to ourselves to determine what kind of entities are neighboring our realms, but that these entities should not be developed beyond small freeholds, otherwise they would have officially joined the Empire as counties/duchies. The only issue I can see arising from that is potentially having to adjust lore when a new player settles nearby, but I think we can massage that lore as necessary.

Let me know what you all think!

PostPosted: February 12th, 2018, 12:42 am 
King

I'd be happy to say that there might indeed be in a large number of places simply lordless tribes and maybe a few villages and such, as you stated with out a larger connection between them. It'd be something we could say that they simply moved on, were wiped out, destroyed or subsumed in some manner by a land claim in that particular place.

Good idea to simply allow people to make up their own neighbours as well as long as its lore friendly of course.

PostPosted: February 13th, 2018, 2:12 am 
Count

tribes is a good way to "populate" these areas. It's a very flexible argument since you can make them dissapear, grow, unite, etc. I also have a small tribe running around Casadia, some are being assimilated (the first example is the village of coelho) some live outside the Duchy. This is great because it lets me make my own thing, without intefering with Casadian lore and also lets me (in the future) make my own independent realm, making them develop those areas outside of Casadia and such.

But now I wonder. how would a NPC realm work in Hermertia? would everybody be able to write lore about it? How about the builds? the culture? the religion? This question reminded me that once I tought "Hermertia needs a villian" I know every realm have its own villians and there have been wars, but it would be cool to have an antagonist to the whole player-base. Much like the lore behind the ender dragon.

CASADIA STRONK

PostPosted: February 14th, 2018, 5:08 am 
Duke

I think we should avoid creating/utilizing any NPC realms that rivaled the development of the establish realms of the empire unless the realms were previously built by other players (e.g. Ostlond) or has been created as a cobuild (e.g. Concordia). An NPC realm would require some pre-planning and general agreement about who controls the actions of that realm, but I think it could be workable.

PostPosted: February 14th, 2018, 3:38 pm 
King

I agree with Arcel in that regard.

PostPosted: February 17th, 2018, 4:17 am 
King

I would agree with Arcel as well both in the comments about the NPC's and the civilizations comprised of small tribes. Adjusting lore when another player settles nearby is definitely a doable proposition and would be somewhat easy to do.

I have actually been wondering while we are on the topic. Are we going to continue to leave these realms untouched from players that will most likely not be returning? It is not an issue now but may be a topic for discussion as new players enter our world.

PostPosted: February 18th, 2018, 12:47 am 
Count

The (mostly) finished builds we should leave them. its a historical record of hermertia. There are also unfinished projects, in Casadia's case aegirzitadel. I talked some days ago with arcel ingame and expressed my idea to finish that build, since it would look pretty cool.

Maybe there should be a hermertian law regarding inactive players builds, depending on size and/or lore relevance. Inactive as in not knowing of them for 2 years IRL, discord, forums or ingame.

CASADIA STRONK

PostPosted: March 2nd, 2018, 1:06 pm 
Duke

I like this discussion so far and agree with Arcel's point on NPC realms, although the use of small tribes and clans is pretty cool.

PostPosted: March 3rd, 2018, 7:37 am 
Duke

Maybe there's a good amount of area being used by tribes or people from different realms that didn't want to live in a kingdom.

And for lore about it, we could have monthly discussions about the NPC goings on. Or pretend their lives are boring or not worth writing about.

"Music in the soul can be heard by the universe" ~Lao Tzu

PostPosted: March 3rd, 2018, 2:17 pm 
King

Great suggestion Aethemora!