All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Population Calculator
PostPosted: October 28th, 2017, 6:52 pm 
Duke

Hey all,

I have made a Google Sheet that you can use to take the census of your realm! Here is the link:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1961yqpGkxWNy_Hu6cUdTArnIS7c6KqRsZhRUy6DgX9w/edit?usp=sharing

Note: make a copy of it and save to your Google drive to have your own personal copy!

Cool features:
- Calculates total population, total number of each building type, and breaks down population by region.
- The levy calculator will help you figure out the size of your military and allow for breakdown by troop type.

How to use the census tool:
1. Go to the "Settlement Data" tab.
2. Enter in the region name, settlement name, and building numbers (except for total number of buildings; this will calculate automatically).
3. That's it!

How to use the levy calculator:
1. Go to the "Levy Calculator" tab.
2. Enter in your levy percentage (percent of your population with an active military role; typical range is "come conquer me" at 0.25% up to "fighting everything all the time" at 4%). Your total active military will be calculated where it says "total levy".
3. Enter in your reserve percentage (percent of population that can be called to arms; typical range is "I'm a conscientious objector" at 0% up to "all we do is kill kill kill no matter what" at 20%). Your total reserve will be calculated where it says "total reserve".
4. In the table on the left, enter in the region name, settlement name, and troop numbers (except for total number; this will calculate automatically). Numbers entered into this table will subtract from the "levy left" value. The numbers entered here represent the active garrison of each settlement and will be automatically transferred to the table on the right that lists out the various troop types.
5. In the table on the right, enter in the various numbers of troops in your reserves. Numbers entered into this table will subtract from the "reserve left" value.
6. That's it!

Questions? PM me and I will be happy to help you out!

FAQ:
1. How do I determine building size?
A small building is a single story livable structure varying in size from 4x4 to 10x10 on the inside. A medium building is a single story building larger than 10x10 or a two/three story building. A large building is something like a fort, church, manor, lighthouse, etc. that is significantly larger than a medium building. An extra large building is a "know it when you see it kind of structure" like the Gates of Dunn, Tower of Dawn, the big tower in Akaria, etc. These are massive buildings that dwarf all other structures.

2. What buildings are not included?
Buildings smaller than 4x4 on the inside or non-livable structures like wells, aqueducts, roads, arches, statues, etc.

3. How does the calculation work?
It is similar in some ways to the formula listed here, but with some adjustments. Each building type is given a weight and buildings are worth more the larger the settlement is.

4. I accidentally overwrote the numbers that calculate automatically. What do I do?
You can make another copy of the original linked above and reenter the data or send it to me and I can fix it.

PostPosted: October 28th, 2017, 8:26 pm 
King

Most impressive. By these numbers Dawnstar will have about 8 people total :p i should go make some more lore relayed buildings somewhere. Great work as always Arcel.

PostPosted: October 29th, 2017, 4:14 pm 
Count

Arcel, you have outdone yourself! Great tool. I love it. Still need more buildings though :-D it will motivate me to increase my building output. Thanks a lot.

PostPosted: October 29th, 2017, 10:44 pm 
Duke

It is definitely a good source of motivation! The numbers it spits out aren't the end all be all. It doesn't work as well for smaller/newer realms, so feel free to use your own numbers until you feel like switching over.