All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: September 17th, 2016, 3:25 pm 
King

Another Monthly Chat, this time about magical stuffs.

So we know that Magical elements exist, from what we covered Here, about enchanting, and from our History of the world going back to ancient times with the Elves of the Ibarhian Empire. We've got a significant number of magical elements that are still present in our day to day lore. From weaponry and tools to Pyrencian sorcery related blood parasites (confirmation needed, although im pretty sure this is correct(ish)), floating terrain and more!

- Extra-dimensional travel. The Nether. The End. While these two dont need an explanation per se, getting to them does. It might be a bit of a stretch to say that there are wormhole and exotic particle savvy physicists within the Empire when we haven't even discovered internal combustion engines yet (Another discussion Here

Floating terrain. Again, could be an element from the past that has occurred and saturated the area in magic, or things that are on ley lines or focus points of ley lines to cause such occurrences.

- Non-gameplay use of magicI.e. Pyrencian Blood Parasites, Sorcery employed by magic wielders. Any other possible use. Where does the magic come from?

- Skeletons, Zombies, Zombie Pigmen, Wither Skeletons, Withers, - We also have yet to explain how it is that undead are able to exist in the game to the best of my knowledge, which could lead to some very interesting theories indeed.

- Endermen + The Ender Dragon are also theoretically magic, as how else is a being supposed to teleport through dimensions and across landscapes?

- Creepers also, although this might be a tough one to explain or come up with a reason for them. A remnant of some horrific war that has self propagated since then?

Anything else I haven't touched upon feel free to bring up and provoke some interesting thoughts and discussions on them.

PostPosted: September 17th, 2016, 4:01 pm 
Duke

Are we trying to come up with some sort of explanation for the existence of these creatures/events?

PostPosted: September 17th, 2016, 4:07 pm 
Duke

I have a vague dragon one. It could have existed in ancient times and a
group of Hermertians used magic to seal it away in another dimension, but it came with a cost. The powers tainted them and they slowly took on a physical change and became the ancestors of the modern endermen.

As far as ender dragon coming back to life, maybe the magic in that realm keeps it from completely dying.

Wasn't Digby researching something about floating islands before he died?

PostPosted: September 17th, 2016, 7:29 pm 
Count

Note: This shouldn't really be taken as gospel as there might very well be some inconsistencies with previous lore. However, this has served as a basis for my lore going way back. Although this text includes just the very basic elements of it, such as what the so-called "Great Error" was, what led to the Fleeing, a considerably compacted origin of the Dakdakrok and original purpose of the Insiegl Court. It's intentionally vague as to provide as much flexibility to specific phenomena.

Edit: I'm a bit conflicted if I should post this or not. It could be pretty spoilerific. Maybe I'll redact some parts of it and reveal them slowly as lore progresses?

Edit 2: I've posted a redacted version below. Not sure how comprehensible it is, but it should be fine for now.

-Missive from the Hierophant of the Disciples-
Regarding the origin of the arcane phenomena present on our sphere.

It has been brought to my attention that the currently unknown source of the oddities scattered around our world is being discussed by the greater Imperial community. There can be no doubt that the subject is indeed controversial amongst scholars and that little concrete information regarding their origins exists. Perhaps it has always been so? Who's to say that these properties are simply innate to our world, yet another wonder to be studied?

A conclusion such as that would perhaps bring many relief. Their worries and fears drowned away in a sea of "there's nothing to be done about it". Others with ambition would mayhaps reach for a method of controlling these powers, seeking to further their own dreams. The truth is that there is no place for wishful thinking in the real world. Only the cold-hard facts can have any influence upon the stream of time.

It is a mystery then, a question asked a thousand times throughout the ages without answer. An errant thought that passes from person to person like a plague without end. Perhaps the truth has been reached by intrepid minds, lost to the currents of history forever. Must that be the fate of all those that stumble upon eldritch truths concerning the very nature of the universe and our place within it?

Within the walls of a million minds, spread across a hundred cities lies the collective knowledge of the Dakdakrok. Ancient lore preserved since before the great Fleeing, since before the great Error. Accounts that tell tales of cities beyond imagination, great sanctuaries of free thinking peoples and advancements incomprehensible by those that came after. Little do we know of the details, but the Error is an event remembered clearly by those of our order.

Rarely is this knowledge shared with those outside the order, however it is time to pull back the drapes and reveal some of the basis upon which our order resides. Bear in mind that the source of our lore is the ancient Þingr civilization, we can only theorize what part others had in contributing to the Error.

The Dakdakrok were founded during the golden age of the Þingr Kingdom, a time of plenty and great advancement. Wealth flowed like never before and common strife was but a distant memory. Guided by the dynastic Throkons, or High Kings, the Þingr existed in harmony with the rest of the Empire. Many of the basic principles of the universe were being discovered and reflected upon at the time. Yet, still they were restricted to the base magicks such as manipulation of the elements.

Thus the elite of the Þingr, and perhaps the Empire as a whole, took to an initiative to advance their knowledge of the arcane as they had done with physics and alchemy. Inside the Þingr Kingdom a group that would later be known as the ■■■■■■■ ■■■■ was founded to further their reach towards the ultimate objective.

These sorcerers, scholars, kings sought to unlock whatever kept them from accessing the very clockwork upon which the world and all the orbs in the sky run upon. These explorers of the fundementum took to eccentric rituals and obscene rights performed far away from the prying gaze of morality. Without oversight these groups performed vile acts in the name of progress. Yet, it wasn't until the arrival of the unnamed traveller that first goal was reached.

A secret beyond any calendar, ■■■■■■■■ ■■■■■■■■■■■ ■■■■ ■■■■■■■■■ ■■■ ■■■■ ■■■■■■ of the materium. Thus it was but a single man that brought the tools to our hands, beckoning us to use them. A temptation so great that none could resist. The key to solving the Problem of Magic.

There were no ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■, ■■ ■■■■■■ ■■■■■ ■■■■■■■■■ ■■■ ■■ ■■■■■■■■■ implicit to the acts required to unlocking what had stumped scholars for a millenia. Groups across the Empire ■■■■■■■■■■■ mystic ■■■■■■■■■■ buried ■■■■■■■ the ■■■■. As far as most could see there was little magical about the ■■■■■■■■■■ themselves. Those privy to the secret brought by the traveller knew otherwise.

The very ■■■■■■■■■■ themselves ■■■■■■■■■■■ according to the eldritch ■■■■■■■■■■■, strange shapes and almost incomprehensible ■■■■■■ adorned the ■■■■ ■■■■■ tributes to the search for power. It was indeed at this point that many within the ■■■■■■■ ■■■■■ realized the great unknown which civilization had begun to enter and conspired to put an end to it. The scholastic and spiritual descendants of these men are now known as the Dakdakrok.

However, they failed. A critical point was reached by Þingr and likely the rest of the Empire as an untold number of the occult ■■■■■■■■■■ were ■■■■■■■■■■■ without pause. It happened overnight as the people slept, clueless to what boundless evil lay in wait beyond their sight. As a crescent moon rose in the night sky the very fabric of reality was ripped apart and forces long separated from our world merged with our laws of nature.

The effects were immediate and severe. Climate disruptions brought ruin to untold number of cities, millions upon millions of corpses rose from their endless slumber and marched upon the realms of man and openings into planes of existence that existed alongside ours appeared with impunity. The once great cities of the Empire lay in ruins, besieged by enemies within and without as physics slowly acclimated. In time, large expeditions were mounted to evacuate the populace to lands unknown in the faint hope of escaping the doom.

Thus these ambition of man had brought an end to a golden era like none before, replaced with a hundred years of regression. The invaluable knowledge of their ancestors replaced with superstition. Yet, now a new Empire has risen alongside the mistakes of past and indeed benefits from it with great constructions such as the nether railways increasing mobility. However, a single question remains unanswered. With the very fabric of the universe ripped to shreds, when will it all come to an end?

PostPosted: December 11th, 2016, 8:34 am 
King

Hello. Just here to pose a deep discussion I have been having recently with two fellow, insightful members on the forum regarding the using of "magic" to power the use of levitation of airships. The proposal I have been working specifically with the is the idea of the usage of End Crystal as such catalysts. I know they are somewhat hard to make, depending on person to person. As well as the fact that they are incredibly volatile in their nature, and can explode from any type of force applied which has led me to propose the usage of such items as the "elemental power" so to speak to power the levitation of such ships and of course actual sails would have to be built to guide these structures through the air. My references and ideas come from the Eberron campaign of Dungeons and Dragons and their usage of Air and Fire elemental as a power source for their ships. More information about this specific topic can be found here: http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=14914.0 . And to address anyone saying that magic has no place in Hermertia how do you explain so much of this game? I.e. Enchanting, the End, the Nether, Portals to such places? Creatures never seen or thought before that could not possibly exist without magic? I know some have argued physics are different for the other two dimensions but the other examples surely could not fall under the same category. Thanks, and I hope to enjoy a healthy discussion.

PostPosted: December 11th, 2016, 2:58 pm 
Duke

I am pretty strongly opposed to this idea. Yes, magic has a place in our world, but it has always been limited to what the game gives us (enchanting, Nether portals, etc.) or minor magic introduced in lore that has no strong impact on the world. This idea would be a departure from that mantra. The End Crystals do not possess any properties in game that would cause or enable levitation. While there are floating islands and ships in the End, I believe this to be better explained by differences in the physics of that dimension, given the near absence of floating objects in other dimensions. Additionally, the community has discussed airships in the past and decided that they are beyond the technological scope of our people and do not fit in with the lore and feel of the server.

PostPosted: December 11th, 2016, 4:44 pm 
King

Make another thread for airship discussion. Keep it on topic. I would agree that perhaps an airship isn't ready for hermertia yet.

The magical elements of otherworldly crystals has its place of course!

PostPosted: December 12th, 2016, 1:09 am 
King

It's unfortunate to hear that others are unwilling to look past their own small circles of thought to be open to new ideas but I understand where you are coming from. And I will do that Sam because as I personally believe I see no problems with small airships within a world that contains magical elements

PostPosted: December 12th, 2016, 1:24 am 
King

King of Khabranth wrote:
It's unfortunate to hear that others are unwilling to look past their own small circles of thought to be open to new ideas but I understand where you are coming from. And I will do that Sam because as I personally believe I see no problems with small airships within a world that contains magical elements

I will say that my own personal thought on the matter is that most "magical" elements in our world have an actual game mechanic that explains them. Interdimensional travel? Explained by nether and end portals. Flying long distances? Explained by elytra. There is no game mechanic that would account for airships. It's quite similar to the anti-steamship movement that swept Concordia back in the day.

of River's End

PostPosted: December 12th, 2016, 2:04 am 
Duke

King of Khabranth wrote:
It's unfortunate to hear that others are unwilling to look past their own small circles of thought to be open to new ideas

Well that is a thoroughly insulting way to respond. This is not a new idea. People can listen to and consider an idea and still not agree with it. As I said before, this is something the community has discussed in the past and decided did not fit in our world. That is not to say we cannot discuss it again, but do not expect opinions to change, especially with responses like that.