All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Emperor Candidates
Poll ended at August 9th, 2016, 5:10 am
King Myron 100%  100%  [ 6 ]
King Myron 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 6
 Post subject: Re: Emperor Elections
PostPosted: August 4th, 2016, 4:34 am 
King

That's, well. Strange. That's just my opinion. It seems like there was very little engagement or input or reflection or judgement from the community with the way the current laws work. I hope the model doesn't continue like that. Maybe it was just the first time, maybe people will set up a proper campaign after the death of this self appointed emperor.

PostPosted: August 4th, 2016, 4:56 am 

It was their choice.

This was talked about extensively withing the community for weeks. The nomination process was voted on and even suggested by King Scrios.

If this continues, it's only the fault of the kings not to nominate themselves.

Campaigns are against the spirit of this law and the wishes of most of the community.

Last edited by Cerdic Accynnafon on August 4th, 2016, 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: August 4th, 2016, 4:56 am 
Duke

Its for the sake of ease. He didn't appoint himself, no one else opposed him and the idea behind the new laws was that no one who didn't want to be elected emperor would be elected against their will.

PostPosted: August 4th, 2016, 5:07 am 
King

The Regent wrote:
That's, well. Strange. That's just my opinion. It seems like there was very little engagement or input or reflection or judgement from the community with the way the current laws work. I hope the model doesn't continue like that. Maybe it was just the first time, maybe people will set up a proper campaign after the death of this self appointed emperor.

We've had a lot of discussion about this recently, although it does look a bit off on this thread, it's certainly been given every chance to have competition. Kyn and Scrios dont want to be Emperor yet, and Arjen was poked repeatedly by Siden in real life to post and has just not posted on this so Myron has won.

Congratulations!

PostPosted: August 4th, 2016, 5:20 am 
King

I would have run, but my computer died last week and I won't be able to even get on for the election til I get it fixed. I figured it would be more fair for the community to have me not run this time around :/

of River's End

PostPosted: August 4th, 2016, 5:21 am 

It is my honor to officially announce King Myron of the Kingdom of Pyrencia as the first elected Emperor of the Mercurian Empire!

Congratulations to Emperor Myron!

PostPosted: August 4th, 2016, 5:24 am 
King

oh damn. Arjen that's such a shame. it's ok pyrencians don't live very long. you can throw your name In the hat soon again

PostPosted: August 4th, 2016, 5:26 am 
King

stop planning for my death

-The Hydra
For a full list of titles, please see enclosed document.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=741

PostPosted: August 4th, 2016, 5:28 am 
King

As someone who thought extensively about this issue, debated how to integrate the Emperor and our traditions with legal evolutions, and who drafted a great deal of the law as it stands, I firmly believe we have through deep community reflection forged a good new role for the Emperor. With that in mind, I wish this first, historic election would have gone differently.

I really wanted to see an election with multiple contenders. But when it came down to it, this nomination process was open for over a week as per the law. The topic was brought up to multiple Kings multiple times, and multiple Kings made definite choices not to run for one reason or another.

It's not the way I wanted it to go. But with only one King wanting to stand for Emperor, it is the way it turned out. It's fully fair, if perhaps not the most satisfying.

I predict future elections shall see more contenders. This shall be a long process, and a great thing for our community.

Minister for Applications and Settlement
Forums Administrator

PostPosted: August 4th, 2016, 5:34 am 
King

First, I think a week is too short. Look at arjen's case. And this is a symbolic thing, and should be treated with respect. This was was learning experience and I think there are possible tweak for the future.

And, I'm sorry, and I mean no offence here, but the first elected emperor is likely someone who will make a joke or mockery of the position. Is this a possibility Myron? Or will you take your ceremonial role professionally, and save the antics for times when you are not doing your duty?

I would have liked to see a competition between Myron and Arjen. I also prefered the old law where non-kings could be elected too. Perhaps I will wait and see a few cycles, and then campaign for reforms to this system later. I feel it's far from perfect, or even a perfect reflection of what the content community was looking for in terms out intended outcomes. I am free to share my opinions here, and differences in opinions is important, but still. The laws as they are did not result in a healthy or even reasonably lengthy discussion.

With newcomers arriving, it's a perfect time for the Emperor to be calm, respectful and dignified. I can't help but feel we 'elected' (as in, not) a person who might not always represent this when at ceremonial events. Although, Myron, I could be fully wrong in which case, grand! My that reign be remembered positively.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next