All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: UK Meltdown Thread
PostPosted: June 29th, 2016, 3:24 am 
King

No matter which side you might have been one, I'd say it's reasonable of both groups to expect that there was some sort of plan for each eventuality given that the stakes were as high as they were. And for the non-brits out there, at least part of the reason that things are as tense and confusing as they are right now is that, hey, there seems to have been no plan for what to do if 'Leave' achieved a majority.

Seriously. If the UK wants to keep trading with Europe - and, given that about half of their trade is with Europe, that's not a question - they still have to conform to tons of EU product and trade regulations to buy and sell things, because you do in any trade deal. The UK could join the European Economic Area: this is basically an economic zone in which European countries, most of which are in the EU but some of which are not, abide by most but not necessarily all of EU regulations in exchange for keeping freeish trade, and it's what Norway (not an EU country) is a part of and the reason why people keep talking about this 'Norway option' for the UK. But, guess what, the European Economic Area is actually the part that allows for freedom of movement of workers, which completely contradicts the idea that a vote for a 'Norway option' would be a vote for less/no EU workers coming into the UK and taking UK jobs. And then, incredibly, you have Boris Johnson, key Leave leader, saying that UK citizens will still have freedom of movement in the EU - which, since no one can reasonably expect that to happen without EU citizens also having freedom of movement in the UK as before, completely undercuts his promises for less EU workers in the UK. Oh, and if you're in the European Economic Area you have to follow lots of EU regulations without actually having a seat at the big table, the European Commission, to vote on those regulations you then must follow. So if the UK goes this route then seemingly nobody wins, because the UK now loses the advantages of being in the European Union proper and can no longer vote on things while still having to follow lots of regulations, and in all likelihood EU citizens would still be coming into the UK. If workers don't come, that might be even worse because the crazy uncertainty all this is causing will have driven businesses and bright workers to other countries.

Or, hey, the UK could say no to that and go it alone. Which would require God knows how many new trade deals to be negotiated. The UK almost certainly doesn't have anywhere near the manpower for that at the moment.

Something else a fair few people might not have realised: not only is the UK still fully in the European Union - where it will remain up until 2 years after they formally invoke Article 50, the formal leaving notice- no one seems to know if/when the UK will actually formally declare that they are leaving. The Yes/No vote was not legally binding at all - it's wholly up to the UK Parliament to decide what to do with the opinions of the voters. David Cameron has said he will leave that up to his successor in October - fair enough, but European leaders and the EU Parliament are fairly justifiably clamoring for clarity, and each day the UK doesn't say how it will respond to this is a day that the value of the Pound falls and that businesses shutter plans for UK expansion. And this isn't even getting into the fact that every Scottish constituency voted Remain and now could end up staging a second Independence referendum at some point - I hardly blame them - and that between Northern Ireland's remain majority and the prospect of new borders between it and the Republic, we could actually see new tensions in Ireland, or the fact that many areas with Leave majorities received great amounts of funding from the EU and are now set to lose that - Yep, towns like Cornwall voted to leave the EU but want to keep their EU funding. It's not satire.

Gosh dangit.

I'm really ticked off myself, as you can likely tell from this infodump/rant. I've obviously missed some things here and this isn't exactly an unbiased piece, but I happen to have a UK passport myself; I'd like to be able to used it in a country that remains united.

Minister for Applications and Settlement
Forums Administrator

PostPosted: June 29th, 2016, 4:18 am 
Duke

Mark Stefan wrote:
King Arjen IV wrote:
So, theres this magical place called Wisconsin that I think a lot of you Brits/Scots would quite enjoy.

Yeah, come to Michigan. We have four Great Lakes to their two. (which means we're better)

PostPosted: June 29th, 2016, 4:23 am 

The Chairman wrote:
Mark Stefan wrote:
King Arjen IV wrote:
So, theres this magical place called Wisconsin that I think a lot of you Brits/Scots would quite enjoy.

Yeah, come to Michigan. We have four Great Lakes to their two. (which means we're better)

PostPosted: June 29th, 2016, 2:49 pm 
King

Nic's got it right.

All of those morons who voted to leave without actually researching it properly and coming to an informed decision will have though about precisely none of those consequences that Nic has posted above ^.

I am fucking pissed.

Tywin said it best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rBe4bm1WFY

PostPosted: June 29th, 2016, 3:37 pm 

Samyrrah Almandine wrote:
Nic's got it right.

All of those morons who voted to leave without actually researching it properly and coming to an informed decision will have though about precisely none of those consequences that Nic has posted above ^.

I am fucking pissed.

Tywin said it best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rBe4bm1WFY

Charles Dance is the fucking best