All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Not all are welcome
PostPosted: September 16th, 2016, 6:39 pm 
Duke

If you have any references or ideas for what you want a new crest/crown to look like, i wouldnt mind throwing in a design as well.

PostPosted: September 16th, 2016, 7:33 pm 
King

I could also help if it is needed and have the crown design already so it would be quick.

I didnt have a problem with the old crest and definitely think it is more than fine to add the crown inside the crest.

Let me know.

PostPosted: September 16th, 2016, 7:36 pm 
King

Thanks all for your help and thoughts! This is awesome.

I'm pretty shit-tastic at photoshop, so I apologize if this is really really bad quality, but I've been in discussion with sevrys, who is awesome, and gave me lots of ideas. He pointed me in good directions, and then i discovered a hundreds year old image. Behold, the original flag of Minerva (flags were different from crests back then, although the use of flags diminished over time). This flag is indeed centuries old. Once our library is restored, you will find evidence of this flag dating back a long time, as well as its symbolism revealed.

In this image, you can see some old themes.

1) The same purple and white design has been used for centuries.
2) The Kingdom of Minerva has always recognized that its status was more ceremonial that reality, which is why it embedded in its old flag the Regent crown (which is now/currently being used for our Majesty), as well as the King crown. Since the very beginning, both crowns were recognized. Similarly, the modern crest aims to incorporate these old traditions.
3) For those that are curious, the spiral and cross have antithetical but interdependent meaning for followers of Mystical Reflectionism. The spiral refers to the eternity of divinity, constantly growing out from its divine source. While the cross represents Man-kind (and elf-kind etc?), lets call it sentient-kind? Or Hermertian-kind? On the crossroads sits man, halfway between the heavens and earth, and half-way between the past and future. This is the symbolism of the cross.

As such, the following 'VERY SHITTTTTY' mock has been put together by me, which incorporates all of the above themes. Attached are the old Regent crown (now in the process of being rendered obsolete, which i find very fair), and the King crown, instead, embedded within the crest itself..

Whether we want to face it or not, the crown our great and noble majesty is using WAS the Regent crown, historically, and for around 500 years. I recognize the 'regent crown' is no longer recognized internationally, and humbly and fully accept, but that doesn't mean its historical significance is lost on Minervans. What do others think? Others, I'm sure, can put together a sexier version (as this is full of asymmetries and artifacts i'm sure). Sevrys, you were doing amazing renders for me in PMs. I wish I could do as good a job as you. My thanks also extends to Scrios for the offer! This is Minerva's first thoughts on its new crest, but i'd need to turn to more talented help for polishing it.

What does the community think?

PostPosted: September 16th, 2016, 7:49 pm 
King

Offers for help from Siden, Scrios and Sevrys!? I'm so grateful friends!

Wait for minute! S, S and S? That's a marvelous alliteration. I'm now waiting on samyrrah, syrah, septimus, squire, and caesar, to offer to help too. Ahaha, just kidding. And dare I say, skeleton? Who doesn't want a crest with roads of gold?

PostPosted: September 16th, 2016, 8:04 pm 
Duke

PostPosted: September 16th, 2016, 8:07 pm 
Duke

I'm taking off of work early, so won't have access to the photoshops :(

PostPosted: September 16th, 2016, 8:08 pm 
King

I'm overwhelmed!!! These are incredible. I just.. I just.. I just can't pic a favourite, because I like them all. Amazing work good ally! Thanks my friend! This helps me reach out to the community to brainstorm. I'm really stoked.

Questions for the community, now that Sevrys has put together a truly polished set of mocks: any favourites? The two headed phoenix looks absolutely stellar! While I can't find a connection between this creature and Minervan lore, I'm pretty tempted! At the very least, it clearly represents a dichotomy of sorts, which is totally up my alley. Else, what do others think of using gold instead of white for the crowns? Sevrys, your polishing on outside touches (like your use of gradients) looks breathtaking. Also, what do others think; purple frilly flowery bits, or white?

PostPosted: September 16th, 2016, 9:29 pm 
Duke

Oh I see what you were saying, I was confused.

It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out of your door, You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to." -Bilbo Baggins

Duke of Kaine

PostPosted: September 16th, 2016, 10:36 pm 
King

Looking a lot of amazing crest designs there. you'll be hard pressed to choose which one you want to use! Glad you're open to dialogue and sorting this out like gentlemen. Awesome.

PostPosted: September 16th, 2016, 10:42 pm 
King

Also no one should be saying such things. We talk like gentlemen or not at all. If there is grievance, we deal with it like gentlemen and nobles. Name calling is not to be done. It diminishes our standing. I'm glad you're open to becoming more willing to address some points that people have raised about political stuff to do with you. We can only grow as a community.